Powerup for 2D Mag with Malkoff drop-in

Boostedvl

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

Can you please help me with powerup options for a 2D Mag with a Malkoff dropin?

From what I can glean, 2D's will put out 600ma to 700ma due to voltage available, and I would like to get the 1000ma performance out of it (like the 3D), albeit with less run time.

I don't really like the idea of cramming 3C's into the torch which is a solution I have read about so far, as I pretty much want to keep the stock spring. Any idea's on what I could do and where to go next would be appreciated.

Thanks!

barkingmad

Enlightened
Hi all,

Can you please help me with powerup options for a 2D Mag with a Malkoff dropin?

From what I can glean, 2D's will put out 600ma to 700ma due to voltage available, and I would like to get the 1000ma performance out of it (like the 3D), albeit with less run time.

I don't really like the idea of cramming 3C's into the torch which is a solution I have read about so far, as I pretty much want to keep the stock spring. Any idea's on what I could do and where to go next would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Guess you could get a 6AA > 2D (series) adapter (or 2 x 3AA > 1D adapters) and fill each with 2 AA cells and a dummy AA to give 4 x AA cells in total which should give the full brightness but just not the runtime.

Note - as far as I know you must not go over 6v (i.e. 4 x 1.5v cells) with this drop-in.

barkingmad

Enlightened
For the price though it may just be a lot easier to buy a 3D or 4D Maglite instead and use 3 or 4 D cells as it was intended - runtime would certainly be a lot better!

Lastly - one option I was thinking of is a 1D (cut-down) Maglite fitted with a single D lithium ion rechargeable cell which should have about the same voltage / brightness as 3 x D cells.

Last edited:

Boostedvl

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Barkingmad for your suggestions. Mabey I can use (x2) 14500's in an '2aa to 1d' adapter to give the extra punch along with a dummy d cell.

JamisonM

Enlightened
For the price though it may just be a lot easier to buy a 3D or 4D Maglite instead and use 3 or 4 D cells as it was intended - runtime would certainly be a lot better!

Lastly - one option I was thinking of is a 1D (cut-down) Maglite fitted with a single D lithium ion rechargeable cell which should have about the same voltage / brightness as 3 x D cells.
I agree. Check with Gene on this, but his drop-in has a max voltage of 6v. That fact limits things a bit. I'd just buy one of the 3 or 4D LED maglites (incan if you don't care about having the backup LED or don't want to pay more). Toss out the spare incan bulb in the tail cap and replace it with the current LED bulb. Install Gene's drop-in and you've got a great light.

Boostedvl

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again guys for your suggestions. It's probably going to be a lot easier and cheaper to grab a 3D Mag instead.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd try the 3 C cells first. You might like it.

Here's a tip from one of the threads, for C cells in D cell maglites:

Reverse the spring. Scrape the anodizing off the inside of the tailcap. Use standard schedule 40 1" pvc.

Last edited: