It's not warm, it's more to HOT!

Zax

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys.

Just wanna share something regarding my new L2D RB100 which i received from fenix-store yesterday. I was really excited to try it out when i got home and saw the yellow bubble envelope:D. First i cleaned up the thread wthich suprisingly fenix forgot to lubricate. It's quite gritty and the grinding sound while screwing really annoys me. Not a biggy, manage to clean it all up and now it is smooth as silk.

I pop in my eneloops, turn on the monster for the first time and it works flawlessly. Tried out all the modes, no problem so far. But there is one tiny itsy bitsy issue that really bugs me. I noticed the color rendition of the rebel beam are more to yellowish incan rather than whitish and cooler LED. I can't even call it warm white or slight yellowish. When compared to my LID-CE the difference are more obvious. The cree rendition are far more natural. I even went on my blue wall and the beam color still register as yellowish hot. This really bothers me.

I'ved sent an email to fenix store asking for a replacement but still pending a reply. They have been great, they even replace my L1D faulty switch with a brand new tailcap :thumbsup:but this one really dissappoint me.

What do you guys think?

MBurke

Newly Enlightened
I am bugged about the yellowish tint also. I have also emailed them and am thinking about returning it and going back to the Cree. :( I have a P3D and the tints are very noticeabley different. I'm sure the rebel is brighter (by the numbers anyway)....but the P3D looks brighter to me ( my eyes )

Mike

MBurke

Newly Enlightened
This may not be of any worth to you but...........I use my lights for my bike light so I took my L2Dr 100 out on a ride tonight. I also took my P3Dc to compare them. I must say that I can see better with the Rebel. I guess it will just takes some getting used to. :)

Mike

EXPY

Newly Enlightened
I found automotive synthetic Mobile 1 auto grease works great on the threads. $4 or $5 bucks for a lifetime supply, almost enough for everyone here.:)

DC44 silicone grease was BAD.

Zax

Newly Enlightened
I found automotive synthetic Mobile 1 auto grease works great on the threads. $4 or $5 bucks for a lifetime supply, almost enough for everyone here.:)

DC44 silicone grease was BAD.

EXPY, does this have anything to do with my thread?

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
EXPY, does this have anything to do with my thread?

yes, i believe he was referring to your need to lubricate your head.
i know you already got it done, but he was just being helpful still and tossing you an idea for the future.

if you were at dinner with a friend would you say something like that.
"what does that have to do with what i just said?"
these forums are the same way in that we're all a non-local group of friends and should treat each other with respect.

that said, i'm with you on not wanting a yellow tint.
i'm more for straight white white or slightly blue.
if i want yellow, i got a rop!

EXPY

Newly Enlightened
yes, i believe he was referring to your need to lubricate your head.
i know you already got it done, but he was just being helpful still and tossing you an idea for the future.

if you were at dinner with a friend would you say something like that.
"what does that have to do with what i just said?"
these forums are the same way in that we're all a non-local group of friends and should treat each other with respect.

that said, i'm with you on not wanting a yellow tint.
i'm more for straight white white or slightly blue.
if i want yellow, i got a rop!

Thank you Jason, that was very kind.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my L2D Rebel, I would say this has somewhat better color rendition (especially outdoors) than some of my other led lights.

The Yellowish tint is comparable to the SWOH Luxeon I that is very desirable.

But It's all prefrence, some people prefer cool tints and others warm ones.

+1 for warm.

Zax

Newly Enlightened
Ooops, sorry EXPY. My bad.

I guess i was too disturb by the not so desirable beam color of the rebels. Quite frustrated by the thoughts of having to exchange the light after almost an hour cleaning and lubricating it. Other than that its all perfect. I mean the beam characteristic, the body finish, the fast shipment. Fenix did a good job all the time.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
EXPY, YOURE WELCOME.

BUT ZAX, SORRY IF I CAME OFF WRONG.

SOMETIMES I FIND MYSELF BEING SOME SORT OF DEFENDER OF JUSTICE.
ON OUR NEW YORK TRIP I GOT FUSTRATED AT SOME TEENAGER USING EXPLANATIVES AND FINALLY I SAID SOMETHING TO HIM AND EXPLAINED ABOUT WOMEN AND CHILDREN BEING NEAR HIM. WELL MY WIFE THOUGHT I WAS CRAZY BUT THE WOMAN SITTING TO HIS LEFT CAME UP AND THANKED ME ON OUR WAY OUT OF THE SUBWAY.

N-E-WAYS, THATS JUST ME.

(NOW WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH YOUR THREAD?)

Zax

Newly Enlightened
WOO WOO....easy there cowboy! What's up with the capital letters?

I wasn't meant to offend anyone opinions or anything, any of them would be most welcome. My apologies to all that are offended, especially EXPY. By the way, i'm just a rookie in this flashaholic thingy. Trying to get my self up and running with you guys. Great bunch of people, great forum to go with. Plus a get to learn a thing or two while at it.

I'm just posting my 2cents on the new rebels, thats it. No more no less.

So......where were we?:grin2:

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
THE CAPS IS JUST A THING I DO (HE YELLS)

i can tone it down.
i wouldn't mind seeing a yellowish tinted led.
i hear it's a larger hotspot, is that the case.
how is the spill?

Zax

Newly Enlightened
The beam and spill are perfect, compared to my ringy cree. I had the chance to play it outside tonight but its quite hard to find any place really dark in my neighborhood. The yellowish tint aren't that noticeable at a distant but its very obvious when close up.

I guess its normal for a rebels to have this yellowish thingy going on, well at least the beam arent as blue as cree does when thrown out. Its just a matter of your eye getting used to it i supposed. But i'll still wait for a response from 4sevens or Gary regarding this.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know if you saw this on the "Fenix disappointment" thread, but here is the difference I'm seeing between two Fenix L2D Premium 100 flashlights. I have three L2D Rebels and two of them have seemingly whiter light, one has a slightly yellowish-brown appearance (especially progressing away from the center of the light). Don't know how well you'll be able to see it (a lot will depend on your monitor).

Can you pick the one with the more yellowish.brown tint? ;)

Last edited:

Zax

Newly Enlightened
Don't know if you saw this on the "Fenix disappointment" thread, but here is the difference I'm seeing between two Fenix L2D Premium 100 flashlights. I have three L2D Rebels and two of them have seemingly whiter light, one has a yellowish-brown appearance. Don't know how well you'll be able to see it (a lot will depend on your monitor).

Can you pick the one with the more yellowish.brown tint? ;)

Yeah, obviously its the one on the right. So are you gonna return it to fenix for exchange or live with it?

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, obviously its the one on the right. So are you gonna return it to fenix for exchange or live with it?

I'm soliciting opinions as to what I should do or say or ask. I'll likely ask the Fenix guys for feedback and see what kind of comments they have about it.

It might be the compulsive side of me coming out, but I'd sure like the ones I'm using to be a bit more consistent in appearance, especially since I use them simultaneously as bike lights.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
I'm soliciting opinions as to what I should do or say or ask. I'll likely ask the Fenix guys for feedback and see what kind of comments they have about it.

It might be the compulsive side of me coming out, but I'd sure like the ones I'm using to be a bit more consistent in appearance, especially since I use them simultaneously as bike lights.

My monitor is colour calibrated (I do digital photography) and the difference there is minimal and I bet if someone randomly showed you the output you wouldn't be able to tell them from each other.

Silliness.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
My monitor is colour calibrated (I do digital photography) and the difference there is minimal and I bet if someone randomly showed you the output you wouldn't be able to tell them from each other.

Silliness.

Any given monitor, no matter how well color calibrated, is not going to show you the light in question in the same way the eye sees it. Seen in real life, the difference is easily noticeable, especially when viewed side by side (which is how I actually use them, so I really do find it more noticeable than random viewing as you suggest).

Respectfully, I'm puzzled as to why you'd consider it a matter of silliness. Personally, I don't see the harm in discussing it. What's wrong with a being curious as to why there's a difference? That's all I'm trying to find out.