Maglite 3D mod

maximil

Newly Enlightened
Hi' everybody

I've a question: I would like to mod my Maglite 3D to have more power and more time. So the (cree ?) LED is a good mod.
My choices:
- buy an upgrade module from Maglite.
- buy another things (but what ?) on the net

Do you have simple solutions (I speak English less and less so I understand less and less this forum :sigh: to find the solutions) and links ?

Thanks.
Maximil

xoltri

Newly Enlightened

andyr354

Newly Enlightened
Nothing complicated about Malloff upgrade. Just slips in the light and go.

I have one and use it all the time.
It blows my P2D away for throw and runtime.

Andy

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
the battery junction one is nice for being a cheap upgrade at $25 and being good for runtime.

the malkoff is good for maximum brightness at $65.

if you get the battery junction one, find the one made for 2-3 cells, NOT the one made for 3-6 cells.
this will give you a brighter light. (still not as bright as malkoff)

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a Malkoff and one of the 4D Maglite LED drop-ins.

The Malkoff is the best and well worth the premium cost.

The Maglite 4D drop-in is not as bright as the Terralux, but it has better run time with good regulation (and was cheaper and available locally) which is what I wanted that one for. It's always brighter than the krypton bulb.

The Maglite's are on sale some places (Target) for ~$10 which is a good deal if you can find it. They're still $19.95 at my local Target.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Thanks for links. But 150 lumens... To compare with Fenix L2D, Is this really more powerful ?

Think of it this way. 2AA = 3 volts, 2D = 3 volts. The L2D has a more efficient LED than the current TerraLUX and its able to keep up. What the extra diameter of the cells are getting you is run time.

2AA = 2.5 hours
2D = 10+ hours

If you care about brightness more, focus less on bigger diameter batteries and more on ways to get more voltage. Else, wait for TerraLUX to upgrade to better LEDs.

Brozneo

Enlightened
I'd go for the Malkoff also, however he doesn't ship internationally (im assuming your not in the US).... Also you could try the incand mag mods - lots of light, mediumish runtime....

JamisonM

Enlightened
Hi' everybody

I've a question: I would like to mod my Maglite 3D to have more power and more time. So the (cree ?) LED is a good mod.
My choices:
- buy an upgrade module from Maglite.
- buy another things (but what ?) on the net

Do you have simple solutions (I speak English less and less so I understand less and less this forum :sigh: to find the solutions) and links ?

Thanks.
Maximil
If you feel confident with your soldering skills, you can always do something like joedm did. While not as easy to do as a replacement bulb; you'll have more control over your mod.

maximil

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your advice. I would like to find something very simple. Because I have little difficulty to read and understand the specifications of each piece (led, circuit...)... I don't want to make a mistake.

Brozneo: I'm French :wave:

NA8: maglite at less than 15-20 $ ? :eek: If you have a link with D mag at this price or less... :whistle: I will probably look for terralux

Thanks

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
NA8: maglite at less than 15-20 $ ? :eek: If you have a link with D mag at this price or less... :whistle:

Thanks

That's a sale price (~$10 US) at some American Target stores for the LED drop-in only. Not on their website though. I think the Terralux at BatteryJunction.com would be your best bet.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
NA8: maglite at less than 15-20 $ ? :eek:

I hate to break this to you, but standard Mags in the US are in most stores, in most colors, and in most configurations, for under $20:

http://www.action-lights.com/ (click Maglite under Get Started, then scroll down)​

Mail order, walmarts, hardware stores, grocery stores, in every state. For example, I just bought a pewter 2C at Home Depot for $14.97 out the door (no sales tax/VAT in Oregon).

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I reccomended a cheaper internationally avalable upgrade. For a newbie type it was easy. Not the best or newest but easy for him and is an upgrade!