Best single 123 light?

SouthNarc

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

Newbie here so if I've violated a protocol I apologize.

I'm interested in some opinions on the best single 123 LED flashlight. Money is really not a concern. I'm looking for the brightest, most durable and feature laden there is. I would prefere a tailcap button that turned off and on quickly...nothing that screws.

I did use the search function and acquired some good information, but frankly I'm a neophyte and a bit out of my depth, hence the directed queston.

Thank you!

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
From your list of requirements I'd check out the Novatac 120P, there are loads of posts and reviews about it and a serach will yield loads of info - it has everything you are looking for. A modded HDS EDC may also be a good choice for you.

I would also check out the McGizmo forum for the TiPD-S - it is not the brightest or feature laden as bightness and features are dispensed with to produce a light that is bright enough for most tasks, has a simple and reliable piston/twisty engagement and gives a EDC perfect run time. IMHO the best single cell EDC out there.

SouthNarc

Newly Enlightened
Thank you sir I appreciate that. I have indeed been looking at the Novatac line as they seem to fill the bill. I thought maybe I was missing something more high speed that I didn't know about.

who

Newly Enlightened
Hi SouthNarc,

I like single 123 LED flashlights too. My recommendations are, in price order:
  • Fenix P2D
  • Surefire L1
  • Novatac 120P
  • Surefire TW4 with Mc2/ES
  • Aleph A19 with GD driver
  • McGizmo PD-S
I hope it helps. You can also IM me so we can talk over the phone to clarify things.

Last edited:

Delta

Enlightened
Been a long time since I perused SDF...is that the same purveyor of pain that lived there (and made the HAK video)?

+1 on the SF L1. I also love my Fenix P2D, which puts out an astonishing amount of light for its size.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first choice would be a HDS EDC U60 modded with an SSC. But you will have to do some searching and then some waiting while somebody mods it for you.

Second best is the NovaTac EDC 120-P - very nice light for the money.

CFU

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might be better out there, but the Novatac 120 series is good (like the EDC series before it) and what I use in the field and off duty.

To reiterate Delta's question, are you the original Southnarc? No problem if you're just a fan, but I'm curious.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
All good recommendations. Best and most useful that I have is a Milky L1
either Luxeon or Seoul emitter. Simple, durable, GREAT beam and on low it will run a LONG time. It will accept rechargeable cells as well. As far as the tailcap goes you can push it or twist it and it works well. Great light.

Dinan

Newly Enlightened
For simplicity and durability, I'd say the Surefire L1 cree, but that has a twist for permanent low/high.

For durability and feature packed I'd say the Novatac 120P.

I have both, and right now I like my L1 a bit more. It feels better in my hand and I don't have to fiddle with the UI as much. The Novatac has one of the best and cleanest beams I've seen, but the L1 has a better tint (at least mine does). I prefer the pocket clip on the L1, but the Novatac can use RCR123's (the L1 can take them giving higher output but the long term effects are yet to be determined). However, for running on near-dead primary cells, my L1 can light up on cells that won't even light my Novatac, which is odd since it has a claimed 0.08 lumen lowest output. The 120P can tailstand, L1 needs a tailcap mod to be able to.

Well I guess I didn't really give a definitive answer but I hope it helps!

onthebeam

Enlightened
Amilite NEO t5 is superbly buillt and operates easily, without needless modes. Just two modes, low and high. A blazingly bright winner.

Last edited:

robk

Enlightened
I agree on the P2D. I got a L1D, liked it, then bought a P2D battery tube and tailcap, liked it again, so bought another L1D head, making 2 complete lights from 3 orders.

The P2D is priced right, fairly well made, great color, nice spill with orange peel reflector, very bright (these are my first Cree lights - after MANY luxeon 1, 3, 5W), good low level for nighttime wandering around the house. Using Soshine brand Li-Ion RCR123's I get all modes with a decent runtime. I could do without the SOS mode, but the strobe mode can be handy for grabbing attention. All in all, I find it to be a great EDC light - I can't even think of any improvements except for maybe a 1/4 turn "detent" on the front end for changing modes that would click when rotated. Although technology moves quickly, I think that the P2D today is the perfect light for my needs. I did have to add a pocket clip - took one off a RiverRock AAA, carefully bent it to fit the circumference of the P2D and used a drop or 2 of super glue to hold it on - looks good, hasn't fallen off yet!
P2D.jpg

Rob

Last edited:

robo21

Enlightened
If you are willing to forego the programmability of the Novatac 120P and you are willing to save about half the cost of a 120P, the Amilite T5 is an awesome light that will meet all of your criteria.

It is very simple and elegant light that throws a beautiful, white, nicely balanced (between throw and floodiness) beam. It has 2 stages, low and high.

neoT5_02.jpg

The light sells for $80 and outshines my 5 D cell Maglite. You can see the light here: http://www.amilite.co.kr/

Don't kid yourself, you won't end up with just one light - you will have several. :party:

Cnote

Newly Enlightened
For simplicity and durability, I'd say the Surefire L1 cree, but that has a twist for permanent low/high.

For durability and feature packed I'd say the Novatac 120P.

I have both, and right now I like my L1 a bit more. It feels better in my hand and I don't have to fiddle with the UI as much. The Novatac has one of the best and cleanest beams I've seen, but the L1 has a better tint (at least mine does). I prefer the pocket clip on the L1, but the Novatac can use RCR123's (the L1 can take them giving higher output but the long term effects are yet to be determined). However, for running on near-dead primary cells, my L1 can light up on cells that won't even light my Novatac, which is odd since it has a claimed 0.08 lumen lowest output. The 120P can tailstand, L1 needs a tailcap mod to be able to.

Well I guess I didn't really give a definitive answer but I hope it helps!
Very informative comments, Thanks!