Most overrated light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mchlwise

Enlightened
I know I'm gonna take ALL kinds of crap for this...

but...

Surefire (doesn't really matter which one).

:duck:

My first experience with a Surefire was in Cabelas, after being a member on CPF for a few months and hearing all the Surefire hype. I had my JetBeam Mk-I with me, and was very unimpressed with the Surefires I looked at in comparison (E2d, A2, L5, and a couple others).

Granted, their built like tanks - probably the best out there, their warranty is excellent, lots of inovations, blah, blah, blah.

I just don't think they're worth what they cost. :shrug:

/putsflamesuiton/

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Maybe it is just me, but I do not understand the purpose of this thread. Is it to get people to vent their displeasure at various and sundry lights? If you do some searching around you will find threads about particular lights that people have commented on, one way or the other, and you can often get the drift of the thread by the title, but again, usually about a particular light. Is there a light that you own that you think is overrated. If so, comment on that light and see what happens. I am not saying that you should not do this thread, but sometimes things can get out of control with negative premise threads.

Bill

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe it is just me, but I do not understand the purpose of this thread. Is it to get people to vent their displeasure at various and sundry lights? If you do some searching around you will find threads about particular lights that people have commented on, one way or the other, and you can often get the drift of the thread by the title, but again, usually about a particular light. Is there a light that you own that you think is overrated. If so, comment on that light and see what happens. I am not saying that you should not do this thread, but sometimes things can get out of control with negative premise threads.

Bill

I tend to agree with Bill. Any time you say something negative about something someone else loves you are going to run the risk of offending people. I believe there is room for valid opinions and experiences to be expressed but threads like these can go down hill sometimes so people need to take things with a grain of salt.

onthebeam

Enlightened
Like when you watch TV, if you don't like the channel, just change it.

:)

Cheers.

onthebeam

Enlightened
For me, I'd have to say it might be the original Photon Proton. Despite its ambitious underpinnings, it was so very slow to finally get to market, and then had some glitches (annodizing, threads, etc).

But I must say that Photon really listened well to all of the constructive criticism and worked hard to get the bugs out. I'm hoping the soon to be released version is as promising as it sounds.

Perhaps it's kind of like new car designs. Sometimes the first year of a new design has issues and the second year is better.

Last edited:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to jump in and say that I don't believe that the intent of the original posting was one of malice rather one of gathering opinions for discussion. Unfortunately I believe that it will bring about some degree of strong feelings and opinions which might better be left unsaid. I think just some judicious reading of the postings and threads over the course of the next few weeks/months might serve as a better educational medium than pursuit of this thread.....

Karl

Saiga

Enlightened
on the other hand, some of us are new to this, and may find threads like this not only amusing, but interesting and informative. a great many here are infinitely more knowledgable than i, and if they want to say so-and-so light is over rated, or outright junk, i'd like to hear it, even if i happen have one of them. as stated above, if i got a problem, i can always change the channel, and no hard feellings.......M.

ginaz

Enlightened
the most over-rated light is the sun. incan is so last year...

Empath

Flashaholic
The resources are plentiful with CPF in finding lights that excel or fall short of expectations. A thread such as this serves no more purpose than as flame bait. It may not have been intended that way, but it's the way it is. The thread will generate nothing more than conflict. It's closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.