Minor problem with Arc AAA

Status
Not open for further replies.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my first Arc AAA last week, and I like it a lot. However, I have noticed that once in a while, the light will not turn on. This happens rarely, but just often enough to be annoying.

I can temporarily fix the problem by removing the head completely and then replacing it, or else by unscrewing the head most of the way and shaking the flashlight gently from end to end. No other kind of shaking or tapping has any effect. Also, the problem only occurs when the light is being turned on; the light never dims or flickers when it is already lit.

I have already tried using a different battery, cleaning the electrical contacts, and cleaning the threads. None of these has had a noticeable effect. I now suspect that there is a loose connection in the head. Has anyone else had problems similar to this?

(This is my first post, but I have been lurking on the forum for a few months.)

SurefireM6

Enlightened
There is another post here with numerous people having the same problem including me. I'll see if I can pull up the thread.

napalm-2002

Enlightened
all that your arc needs is a good roll crimp.

if you peel off your foam retainer carefully you will see a small ridge of aluminum.this needs to be folded over to create a good path of electricity.
you can fold this metal over by taking off the head of the arc and peeling the foam back and carefully useing a flat blade screwdriver to bend or fold back the aluminum.all it does is smashes the metal so that the ground flows.

or just contact arc and they will take care of it.
if your anything like me you wont want to part with it and you'll prob fix it yourself!

mike

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The roll crimp thing didn't work either, so I mailed it back to Arc today. You're right that I was reluctant to part with it, though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're reluctant?

I have the exact same problem you have. I've tried the roll crimp, and i've cleaned the threads MANY times to no avail. I've had this problem for over a month and i still haven't sent it back yet.

Am i reluctant....or lazy? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif :p

Anyway, good luck. I'll be sending mine off too this afternoon. Don't worry, Arc's customer service is great. You'll have it back in no time.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a problem with one of my Arc-AAA's and was very reluctant to part with it (strong seperation anxiety /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif), so I definitely understand how you feel.

But please let me allay your fears, the fine folks at Arc took care of the problem quite quickly and then my trusty companion was back in my watch pocket where it belongs. Merri was very nice and very efficient (You have chosen wisely Peter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif). Most importantly, I haven't had any problems at all with the replacement (knocking on wood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif).

Two thumbs up for Arc customer service! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Pat

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just one more reason to keep several spares on hand.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Zeppert

Enlightened
The only minor problem I have is that I need another LE but it is still on back order. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Moat

Enlightened
I think I mentioned, in the other thread, my theory of the foam retaining ring being twisted/pulled across/underneath the battery contact - has anyone with this problem just yanked the foam ring off to see what happens??

Bob

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
LEDagent said:
Anyway, good luck. I'll be sending mine off too this afternoon. Don't worry, Arc's customer service is great. You'll have it back in no time.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. I got my replacement Arc on Tuesday, just 8 days after I mailed it back. It works great, and it is quickly becoming one of my favorite flashlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
bob: yes i suspect its the foam retainer getting squashed out and getting in the way of the battery contact. my arc used to exhibit that problem occassionally, so i used a box cutter to cut out some of the foam on the inside of the hole so the solder bubble on the head of the arc was more exposed. fixed the problem right away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

a few weeks later i got over-zealous in cleaning my arc and i accidentally tore off the retainer. the battery rattle is annoying, but it never fails to turn on now!

Moat

Enlightened
Well, chamenos, there you go! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I wonder if Peter (or anyone else experiencing these symptoms) is listening in? Maybe the fix is as simple as a stiffer/slipperier foam spec or increased center cutout on the retainers - might prevent some returns (an updated retainer could be snailed to the affected units, instead).

BTW - a lightly crumpled slip of stiff paper wrapped around the battery should take care of the foam-less Arc's rattle. And I also believe that replacement retainers from Arc are free, with a SASE.

Bob

spookyspiff

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

Just got my AAA LE today from meridian tac. I do like it very much except that the battery rattle is really annoying. When the light is engaged, the rattle stops, but it is very noticeable when it is off. Any suggestions?
thanks.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
spookyspiff said:
Hi All,

Just got my AAA LE today from meridian tac. I do like it very much except that the battery rattle is really annoying. When the light is engaged, the rattle stops, but it is very noticeable when it is off. Any suggestions?
thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try wrapping a post-it note around the battery /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<font color="red">*** EDIT ***</font>

Just checked my Arc's and none of them rattle noticeably unless very violently shaken, check that yours has its foam battery retainer in place (see pic below)

fc803986.jpg

spookyspiff

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, interesting idea x-ray. Any suggestions now for how to get the stuck battery out? Doh.

spookyspiff

Newly Enlightened
yes mine does have the foam battery retainer, but it does seem to be thinner than the one in the picture. that's probably the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.