Tricorder Auto LED

Qoose

Enlightened
Thinkgeek is the other place that makes my wallet hurt. Especially since I got my wallet from them.

Has anybody seen the new Auto LED they carry? It looks like the tricorder sensor from Star Trek, which is part of the appeal.

Utility wise, it's a great idea. I don't smoke, and I don't think my car even has a lighter. Runtime and Lumens aren't great though, probably a pain to fix something like a belt with just this light, but it makes up for it with looks. Anybody have one?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
It looks cute, but if I'm tgrying to locate something in my vehicle at night, I'm going to grab something that puts put much more than 5.6 lumens.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ew. :barf:

When I saw "tricorder," I thought of this. The flashlight in question, though, is just a cylinder. Nothing special about that. This light impresses neither my flashaholic side nor my Trekkie side.

Gotta love the marketing speak, with tidbits like "super-bright highly focused white spotlight," without any numbers whatsoever (not even "12V").

Illum

Flashaholic
from the looks of it its a LED lenser product....something tells me they will be available soon in Wally or Target pretty soon:)

rather than one rechargeable light my cig sockets taken up by a inverter with a power bar plugged into it powering 4 40 watt lightbulbs on clamp equipped sockets.....driving at night in the subdivision with the four lights clamped to 4 windows pointing down illuminates the car very very clearly and the space around it in the dark. joggers and pet walkers were like :wtf: whenever I go by:nana:

unfortunately I can't turn the power strip on on the highway even at night...its like a ticket magnet:shakehead

Qoose

Enlightened
I wish they were cheaper. One of our cars has 5 or 6 lighter sockets. I would fill each one. I wouldn't use them, just let them sit there and glow.

Trekkie side, I wish they used the hand scanner more outside of medical.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually like it. Yeah, it might not impress the Trekkies, but I still like it. Price is a bit steep at $24.99; I'm sure their cost on it is in the $5 or less range.

My daily commute starts at 5:30 AM so I'm always fumbling around in a dark car. Yeah, I could reach up to switch on the dome light, but why do that when I can add another light to the collection?!

Illum

Flashaholic
everything bought from thinkgeek is generally more expensive....
REI sells it for $20 if your interested
Monstronix sells it for $16
Discount LED... sells it for $16 [from their pic the beam is spot, no flood and its nichia 5mm]

EDIT: very useful review with lot of pics here and includes links to other reviews

hope this helps those who like it but don't want to pay that much money....I did a search and thinkgeek was the most expensive of all the stores, where the prices excluding shipping ranges around $20

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
rather than one rechargeable light my cig sockets taken up by a inverter with a power bar plugged into it powering 4 40 watt lightbulbs on clamp equipped sockets

LOL! Now let me get this straight, are these 4, 40 watt bulbs on the inside of your car, or the outside? If on the inside, that's 160 watts of light in there, haha. That must look hilarious. :) You should go with 4, 23-watt or better compact flourescents. :) Get like 4 of those 150 watt equivelent ones. :)

Illum

Flashaholic
LOL! Now let me get this straight, are these 4, 40 watt bulbs on the inside of your car, or the outside? If on the inside, that's 160 watts of light in there, haha. That must look hilarious. :) You should go with 4, 23-watt or better compact flourescents. :) Get like 4 of those 150 watt equivelent ones. :)

you know those bulb holders with a clamp on the bottom, I rolled by windows halfway down and clamped the holders on the windows facing out just to see what happens:laughing:

my inverter = odd
running on incan my radio humms with static, if I run CFLs the lamp drivers whine:thinking:

Last edited:

Fenris

Enlightened
Ew. :barf:

When I saw "tricorder," I thought of this. The flashlight in question, though, is just a cylinder. Nothing special about that. This light impresses neither my flashaholic side nor my Trekkie side.

Gotta love the marketing speak, with tidbits like "super-bright highly focused white spotlight," without any numbers whatsoever (not even "12V").

Actually in some episodes, a little cylindrical device much like that flashlight in question was used along with the medical tri-corder. It was what they took the medical scan with.

I'm a geek.:(

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually in some episodes, a little cylindrical device much like that flashlight in question was used along with the medical tri-corder. It was what they took the medical scan with.

I'm a geek.:(
I know that, but did this flashlight remind you of that, or of just another cylindrical aluminum flashlight?

jeffosborne

Enlightened
Okay, Mswisher, why the bias?
Are you a salesman?
Designer?
Retailer?

28 lumens on your lamp-prescription does sound alot better!!

Cheers,

Jeff O.