Pulling lumens out of batteries

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone, im just starting to get into modding, my first project will probably be modding one of those "Military" angled lights, if possible to take a CREE q5...when i can get my hands on a q5

I am wondering however, when i put the LED in, will it just start producing light at what ever lumen output it feels like? or how do i actually control it... and what if i want to pull more power out of a battery, like how do companies get 100++ lumens out of a single CR123A battery? is it to do with the circuitry or something?

any help much appreciated.

Crenshaw

JamisonM

Enlightened
crenshaw, It's my understanding that however much power gets to the led is what determines its light output. Whether, you have the batteries in direction connection with the led or you have a resistor or driver between the two; how much power is getting to the led and what's letting it get there will determine light output. Something else to consider is how will you manage the heat produced by the led. There's a reason why people have used heatsinks when they modded their maglite. Unless you are planning for output to be on the low side, this is something that needs to be addressed.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
You do have a lot of questions. BTW welcome to CPF. I can only recommend that you do some researching on CPF. Use the Google bar-CPF only at the top of each CPF page and see what happens. I am no modder, but I am beginning to understand the issues involved just by reading posts and threads, over time. I can not remember the exact name of the thread that was a course in modding, University something taught by one our our administrators. It has a wealth of information about electronics relative to modding flashlights.

Bill

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i know its annoying when the newbie starts asking questions that have been answered millions of times before. Sorry!, just get too over excited sometimes..you know how it is with lights..:)

but then without this thread, i might not have discovered that CDF university thread, either way, thanks everyone!

Crenshaw

Latest posts