4-Mode Cree Drop-In Issue

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
I just noticed something curious about my WE 4-mode cree/C2/Z48 setup.

If I drop the light, or jar or shake it it with even moderate force, it changes mode. Either of those actions must be interrupting the current to the drop-in, which triggers a mode change.

Anyone have any ideas how I can prevent this from happening?

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
Follow up: I swapped out the Z48 and re-installed the original twisty switch. The issue went away. Apparently the fault lies with the switch -- either in the guts of the switch or that it simply loses contact with the battery when subjected to enough force.

jbviau

Enlightened
Well that was an easy fix!

I've got my 4-mode in a G2 with the original twisty. Mostly everything works great, but I've found that a mode will get skipped every now and then. It helps to twist further away from the "on" position when cycling through the modes repeatedly. It might also help if I lubricated the threads in the tailcap a bit, I think.

Anyone else experience mode skipping?

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quite often, I've noticed this if the battery is not held tightly. THe battery loses contact for an instant when it is shaken of dropped, and changes modes. Some batteries are shorter than others, and this can make a difference too.

jbviau

Enlightened
Interesting. I don't think battery looseness is an issue with mine though. The 17670 I'm using (one of AW's protected ones) is a snug fit.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will do it with the twisty switch, too, in my experience. The problem I've seen is that the battery pushes forward into the area where the ground spring is, causing it to lose contact for an instant, changing modes. I noticed this with a bored out C2 using a 18650, but didn't know if it would be a problem with other batteries. I actually used it like this intentionally when locked on, giving the light a quick whip of the wrist to change modes. Undoubtedly battery length could also cause this, like Lighthouse one said, and that is probably the issue with bonvivantmike's light.
Mine has yet to do this using a Leef body that has a lip separating the battery compartment from the LA, and should not be an issue at all with a Wolf-Eyes light that doesn't use the SF spring.

Grun

Newly Enlightened
Interesting. I don't think battery looseness is an issue with mine though. The 17670 I'm using (one of AW's protected ones) is a snug fit.

How is the run time on that with the 17670? Something like 2 hours?:confused:

jbviau

Enlightened
Well I haven't tested this myself because it's not smart to leave the HO Cree on continuously in a plastic-bodied light like the G2. The drop-in gets really hot after 10-15 min. For continuous use I always use the 20% or 2% settings, and the longest I've had it on is 25 min. or so (no heat problems at all on these settings).

Anyway, about runtime, I went to check the stats on Mike's PTS website just now, and he no longer sells the 4-mode I have! I think he's getting some new ones with Q2 Crees in them soon. Anyway, here's what the Wolf Eyes website says (below). Where the 17670 falls in comparison is up in the air. AW sent me a PM when I bought the 17670 from him that said ~80 minutes regulated on high. I guess he would know!

-----------------------------------------------
with 1 X LRB 168A Rechargeable batteries:
full brightness stage:
3 hours with regulated output ;
30 minutes with unregulated output.
20% brightness stage:
the runtime is more than 15 hours
2% brightness stage:
the runtime is more than 150 hours
blinking stage:
6 hours with regulated output;
more than 30 minutes with unregulated output