www.deadmalls.com remember these old shopping places?

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
www.deadmalls.com
Just to show how long gone my childhood is, there are 3 malls I grew up with that have gone downhill,
and in one case died. (Forum303 mall)
The other 2 are Cloverleaf of Richmond, VA and Six Flags mall of Arlington, Tx.

Which shopping malls did you see in thier heyday before they started thier plunge down the toliet?

:popcorn:

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I come from a really small town, and the shopping centers and stores that were flourishing in my youth are almost all gone now, replaced by the likes of Wal-Mart, Home Depot, and other national chains.

I lament the loss of local "flavor," while I recognize that there is a price advantage to consumers from volume buying.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's just amazing how much damage poor foresight and management can do to a property compared to floods, tornadoes, hurricanes and such.
What makes it worse is that it is harder to insure against that than any of those. :rant:
When I was a kid in the 1970's, I always thought there would be a Sears and a JC Penneys at Cloverleaf mall, plus the Thalheimers that opened later to help expand the south end of the mall along with it's Scottish Sword and Kilt restaurant.
Now that is all gone due to a few dumb-arse idiots. :mecry: :thumbsdow
All that is left is just some poor looking security guards and a bit of urbanblight for them to watch after. :shakehead:
Meanwhile, there are some OPEN AIR malls out in the cold during Christmas shopping season on the north end of town that are getting the $$ with thier high end stores.
What does that tell anyone? :wtf:

What a "no win". :rant:

LEDMaster2003_V2

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, the mall here in Austin is very bad, but not as bad as the one in Albert Lea. There are only 5 stores out of approx. 25 available! (it began its downward slide after Wal-Mart left).

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The only reall mall to speak of in Juneau AK. was (and apparently still *IS*) the Nugget Mall, along Egan Drive across from the McDonalds (the mall's address is 8745 Glacier Hwy); approximately 0.3 miles north of the airport runway. There are ~40 stores & restaraunts there.

I see they now have a website. :)

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where I grew up in the sticks, we had strip malls as there was not the population to support a real mall. It would usually be anchored by a department store such as in our neck, Ames, Globe or Zayres. Then there might be half dozen or so smaller stores and sometimes a supermarket as well. Now of course all the above mentioned department stores are gone and the strip malls have either disappeared or have done a total transformation in the past 20 years. But of course there is the new Walmart.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only reall mall to speak of in Juneau AK. was (and apparently still *IS*) the Nugget Mall, along Egan Drive across from the McDonalds (the mall's address is 8745 Glacier Hwy); approximately 0.3 miles north of the airport runway. There are ~40 stores & restaraunts there.

I see they now have a website. :)

That's really not a bad looking mall. :)

Looks like demolition just started this last month at the Forum 303 mall in Grand Prairie, Tx.

They started at the old Montgomery Ward department store.
Good riddance. :wave:

Still, it's kinda too bad the mall could not have been turned into a school, or something like that.
It had the floorspace for classes and indoor P.E. tracks and fitness areas.
Not to mention the old theaters for use as auditoriums where I saw Return of the Jedi in 1983, ET and Wrath of khan in 1982, War of the Worlds (1953 original release) and John Travolta in Grease in 1981.
Even in it's heyday when I was a teenager, that thought did occur. :tinfoil:
It was built in 1970 when big, tank sized cars were the thing to have.
The parking spaces had plenty of room for them.
Nobody had trouble parking there then or since. :laughing:

Good-bye Forum303 Mall, and may your demise serve as a wake-up call to other property managers around the world.