Just ordered a LM301

jdong

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone, allow me to introduce myself:

My name is John, I'm a sophomore at MIT studying EE and computer science (Course VI to those who understand MIT course numbers!). If you happen to be a Ubuntu Linux user, you probably know me as the ubuntuforums.org administrator and developer.

I consider myself entry-level flashlight-a-holic. I first got lured into higher-level (i.e. not dollar store) flashlights by QuickBeam's flashlightreviews.com. I've been lurking here for around a month now. My first "real flashlight" purchase was the 3rd gen Inova X1. We've had quite a few hot discussions about this topic, so I won't say much other than I personally am satisfied with the light as an EDC. I proceeded to go on an Inova buying spree too, getting the 2007 XO and X5 for myself, and the new T2 for my dad as a present. I like Inova's build quality and price point. They might not be the newest LED tech, but IMO they're still good lights -- excellent build, responsive customer service, easy to use. My X5 is a great flood light and my XO is a great throw light. Both have runtimes that fit my need, though they are more likely to be sent to serve as emergency lights thanks to CR123A shelf life.

Being a nerd and all, I can't stand being a generation behind in tech. I did a bit of homework and found the Lumapower LM31 (301? What do they call it nowadays? :D) fit my bill. My complaints with my current flashlights were:

(1) The X1 is a good EDC but only truly effective at closeby distances. Sometimes I want a bit more throw.
(2) The X5 has the brightness and throw I like, but a bit too much for short distances. I like to go jogging through trails at night, and find that if I shine the X5 in front of me too closely, it'll knock out my night vision in a flash.
(3) The XO is both bigger AND brighter than the X5, making it even worse for EDC or night vision.
(4) Both the X5 and XO run off CR123A's. I know I can get cheap Titanium cells online for $1, but I also have connections to get almost infinite AA industrial-line batteries for free. Free is good :)

I figured I wanted something multi-staged. At this point, I'm still not flashlight-a-holic enough to spend too much money on a light. So, I was looking for something $40 tops that met my needs. I even considered some of the Fenix lights, which looked excellent in quality, but IMO has UI issues. Having 5 or so modes all activated by clicking or magic twist combinations is a bit overkill for me. And I couldn't imagine that a flashlight's operation should need a page-long cheat sheet to detail! I want as close to push-on push-off as I could. The LM31 seems to fit my needs, and it was cheap. I ordered it from BatteryJunction with the CPF discount.

I'll try to post a review and maybe even beamshot comparison :)

So, I just wanted to say hi to everyone, and thank all the valuable resources put up here.

Last edited:

jdong

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. One question about the light:

Out of curiousity, how water resistant would you rate the light? Both in, how much splashing / dunking can it take before it can no longer stay lit, and after such an incident does it work after you dry it back out?

I've used a *cough* generous return policy at a local store to test most of the inovas against this type of abuse, and it seems like they'll submerse for at least a few minutes before having trouble staying lit, and then if dried back up they'll return to normal operation. I wouldn't expect too much of the electronics in a flashlight to be sensitive to water, apart from the risk of corrosion, etc.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Jdong, welcome to CPF. :)

I have one of the first LM301 delivered and I am very happy with it. Nice clean beam and beautiful surface finish. You will be happy with it. For your reference I use an Energizer Lithium primary in it. I have also an LM303 which I like better for its shorter size.

Apart from marketing hype no one of the lights normally available for general use is really waterproof in the wrist watch meaning i.e. can be submerged for long periods. I believe that the word dunkable is the most appropriate: it means that in case you walk around in the dark during a storm and your light falls into a puddle if you retrieve it promptly it will keep on operating.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome. I have a 301 also and love it. Glad to hear someone else like Lunux. I just started out and have ubuntu 64 on my PC. Actually I started a thread in the cafe here........

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/171348

I will have to check out ubuntuforums.com. I have some issues that I could use some advise on.........looks like the right place to start!

jdong

Newly Enlightened
Apart from marketing hype no one of the lights normally available for general use is really waterproof in the wrist watch meaning i.e. can be submerged for long periods. I believe that the word dunkable is the most appropriate: it means that in case you walk around in the dark during a storm and your light falls into a puddle if you retrieve it promptly it will keep on operating.

Right, I understand that the general-use lights won't be good for diving or anything, but the various O-ring seals do make for a certain degree of water resistance.

I don't intend on getting it wet on purpose, just as an EDC you never know what's going to happen :D

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you keep your o-rings clean and well lubed with silicone grease they will not let any occasional water in. :grin2:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Fenix Rebel lights are supposed to be waterproof but the cheapest Fenix Rebel 100 light, the P2D-CE a CR123 light, is $50 after discount coupon at Fenix store("CPF8" is the coupon). It is $10 more but I think you will like the light, you can also buy a L1D 1 AA body for you needs.

The Candlepower light(review) from DX seems to be good and pretty water resistant and also pretty easy to upgrade to a Q5.

The LM301 is a simple, well built, light with a good finish and it is $30 after discount at Battery junction.

Welcome to CPF!

jdong

Newly Enlightened
Well, some day in the future I will be more comfortable shelling $50+ out for a light. For now, $30 already scares me at times :)