• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Exotic coating services?

jaybiz32

Enlightened
Anyone know of any exotic coating or group buy currently open I am looking to coat my 2D mag to titanium or other harder surface.

jcompton

Enlightened
Anyone know of any exotic coating or group buy currently open I am looking to coat my 2D mag to titanium or other harder surface.

Since Modamag's "Final Run" I have not heard of anyone offering this type of service, but I would definitely be interested in sending a few lights in for plating if it were available at the same level of quality as Modamag's runs.

jcompton

Enlightened
I think this will help as far as what can be coated with what...

AluminumTiandSSplatingoptions.jpg

Last edited:

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anyone is willing to sponsor a run...I'm in =)

chago

Newly Enlightened
Check Surface Solutions (www.tincoat.net) and Ionbond (ionbond.com). Done business with both of them. I do believe the former has a minimum order of $25 whereas the latter is $200 minimum. However, I also believe Ionbond offers a wider variety of coatings. Get a hold of them and ask away. Good luck.

jcompton

Enlightened
Check Surface Solutions (www.tincoat.net) and Ionbond (ionbond.com). Done business with both of them. I do believe the former has a minimum order of $25 whereas the latter is $200 minimum. However, I also believe Ionbond offers a wider variety of coatings. Get a hold of them and ask away. Good luck.

I'll have to check them out and see what can be put together... maybe just a small order, but if enough people are interested, who knows. I'll check with them on monday and report back... if anyone is interested that is...

DM51

Flashaholic
jcompton, I think I recall seeing that table in modamag's thread. I also recall he made the point that although a coating may be hard, it is very thin, so although it is a good protection against scratches, it cannot protect against knocks and dents. The Ti coatings are therefore likely to be better for Ti objects than for Al ones, as Ti is a harder metal to start with.
I have Ti lights with TiN and TiCN coatings. The TiN and TiCN will easily scratch just about anything else they come into contact with. TiCN is a blue-grey color, TiN is like brass (not shiny like gold). I believe AlTiN is even harder, and a darker color than TiCN.

jcompton

Enlightened
jcompton, I think I recall seeing that table in modamag's thread.

That's exactly where it came from :thumbsup:

I also recall he made the point that although a coating may be hard, it is very thin, so although it is a good protection against scratches, it cannot protect against knocks and dents. The Ti coatings are therefore likely to be better for Ti objects than for Al ones, as Ti is a harder metal to start with.
Exactly, that's why I posted the chart, to give a visual of what platings can be used on Ti and which can be used on Al.

I have Ti lights with TiN and TiCN coatings. The TiN and TiCN will easily scratch just about anything else they come into contact with. TiCN is a blue-grey color, TiN is like brass (not shiny like gold). I believe AlTiN is even harder, and a darker color than TiCN.
I have a Ti PD-S Mizer with the AlTiN and it is indeed darker, almost black, and definitely harder (according to modamag it is second only to the "C" aka "Diamond" plating).

Member erckgillis does all kinds of custom plating. I just spoke to him yesterday, and he can do one-offs of anything.

PM him, I'm sure he can help.

If I recall he is not setup for TiN or AltiN which I am interested in having done.

DM51

Flashaholic
If I recall he is not setup for TiN or AltiN which I am interested in having done.
I would suggest you try to get a look at a TiN-coated light before you commit to it. It isn't really very shiny, and you can't polish it up as it is too hard. If you expect a finish like gold, you will be disappointed. Just my opinion FWIW.

TiCN is very nice though. It looks very businesslike - a sort of gunmetal color. I like it a lot. I have yet to see anything in AlTiN, but there have been very favorable reports of it.