diy flashlight hack??? for under 10 bucks

dogbert614

Newly Enlightened
ok i was surfing on youtube.com and found this:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnkjvEdeIlc

EVEREADY COMPACT INDUSTRIAL FLASHLIGHT YELLOW AA TYPE
$4.00

KPR112 KRYPTON FLASHLIGHT LAMP FOR C AND D FLASHLIGHT RADIO SHACK BRAND ITEM NUMBER 272-1163 $1.50

FILE OUT RIDGES OF THE INSIDE OF FLASHLIGHT OR USE A 5/8 DRILLBIT TO REMOVE

CR-123 #3 DURACELL ULTRA 3V BATTERY'S
$4.00

i was wondering what the power and lamp life on something on that would be before i build it any ideas or has anyone built one??? :twothumbs

thanks dogbert614

djblank87

Enlightened
Thats funny I just saw that video last night. It looks like a simple solution to make a cheap light bright.

But if you have to carry a light on duty, LEO's/Security/Firefighters and so on I wouldn't trust a plastic light on steriods.

If it is for fun then I say go at it and let us know how it turns out either way you only out a few dollars.

Good luck.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've done something similar a couple of times. The first time I took a $2 2xAA Ray-O-Vac flashlight that uses a PR type bulb, bored it out, dropped in 3x123 cell batteries, installed a 5-cell Maglite bulb, and was amazed at my sub-$10 little powerhouse. Unfortunately it would get really hot pretty fast and started to melt and deform. I ended up going to 2x123 cells with a dummy cell and a 4-cell Maglite bulb. Doing something similar to this is probably the most output you can get for less than $10, and everything is cheap and easy to buy locally (except maybe the inexpensive 123 cells).

dogbert614

Newly Enlightened
I've done something similar a couple of times. The first time I took a $2 2xAA Ray-O-Vac flashlight that uses a PR type bulb, bored it out, dropped in 3x123 cell batteries, installed a 5-cell Maglite bulb, and was amazed at my sub-$10 little powerhouse. Unfortunately it would get really hot pretty fast and started to melt and deform. I ended up going to 2x123 cells with a dummy cell and a 4-cell Maglite bulb. Doing something similar to this is probably the most output you can get for less than $10, and everything is cheap and easy to buy locally (except maybe the inexpensive 123 cells).

what was your run time on cr123 and lamp life??

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
what was your run time on cr123 and lamp life??
Never blew the bulbs in either setup, so lamp life is ok I guess. Never tested battery life either for several reasons. First, this is a cheap DIY light, and I'm not going to burn through $4-6 worth of batteries just to see how long they'll last, second, running either setup continuously for any length of time will lead to heat-related damage of some sort.

I do have a more reliable and robust (and more expensive) variation of this setup. I have an adapter that puts 3x123 cells in the same space meant for 2xD cells in a 2D Maglite running a 5-cell Maglite battery. No bulb life issues, and obviously no heat-related issues. I think I bought the adapter from Electrolumens a few years ago. Again, no runtime tests as I don't waste cells on things like that.

Illum

Flashaholic
the flashlight hacks made as a wow factor....but since the flashlight wasn't designed for the type of lamp used, it was obvious it can't handle the heat output on the lamp over time. [my experience was with a 2D eveready, which by the end the entire bezel basically warped into one single part]

you can leave the E2 on for the life of its batteries... but I doubt you can with the mod, where the lamp draws less current than the E2 which results in longer runtime and heat output, and not have the lamp holder/reflector melt or warp:poof:

dogbert614

Newly Enlightened
any one know a cheap metal body i can use i want to try this must fit 2 or 3 cr-123 and take a maglite type bulb and a maglite c2 is two big i think any ideas

Marduke

Flashaholic
Save yourself some time and check your local Target for a Maxfire LX on sale for $6.48. 2xCR123 and P-60 style lamp, which can be upgraded to LED.

Also, by "Maglite type bulb" you mean any PR base bulb, which is quite common.

Illum

Flashaholic

dogbert614

Newly Enlightened
Save yourself some time and check your local Target for a Maxfire LX on sale for $6.48. 2xCR123 and P-60 style lamp, which can be upgraded to LED.

Maxfire LX $6.48 holy crap batman ! ! ! are they getting rid of them i look in walmart for them like 2 weeks ago after i read how they where the next best thing to a surefire g2 but found none... if i buy one or say 3 can i still find bulbs for them???

how long ago was this ? ? ?

Last edited:

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
any one know a cheap metal body i can use i want to try this must fit 2 or 3 cr-123 and take a maglite type bulb and a maglite c2 is two big i think any ideas

There are ***lots*** of these on eBay, because the BF size cell (e.g. the Everready 927) and the 2BF cell (e.g. the Eveready No.8) are no longer made.

Hence these torches, which up until 30 years ago were the standard for bedside use, are sold off.

Physically, they are of tinplate construction, 1" diameter body and around 4.5" long, give or take. Depending on the age, they might have a plain glass lens, or a small fisheye, a large fisheye or even a trumpet head. Globe is usually a 2.5v 300mA MES round bulb, but late models had a flange bulb of the PR2 or PR4 variety.

They look like a scaled-down 2C torch. But they are a perfect fit-in-the-hand size, which was their original selling point in the first place.

I said the BF and 2BF are no longer on the market - BUT - a protected 18650 (call it a 18670, if you like) is a perfect fit. Change the 2.5v for a 3.8v 300mA MES bulb and you are in business. Much improved runtime, and a worthwhile lift in brightness. A 1940's vintage collectible in daily use - warms the cockles of your heart.

An alternative is two 2/3 A NiMH cells, with suitable radial padding. This will have poor runtime, but you can keep the OEM 2.5v bulb if that's an issue.

Now to mods - n.b. these draw a LOT of current from the CR123A cells, so these should only be attempted of you are confident of cell matching.

1) 2 CR123A's (6v) overdriving a Philips HME50.
Good for well over 100 lumens.

2) 2 RCR123A's (7.4v) overdriving a Reflectalite GH44.
Good for well over 300 lumens.

The drawbacks with these torches are two obvious ones - they are designed for indoor use only - there is no such thing as a weather proof one, and, also because of their intended use (shining at the clock / seeing your way to the bog etc) the optics are nothing special.

But if you like breathing new life into antiques, this is a lot of fun - and 100% reversible.

dogbert614

Newly Enlightened

went to two targets this morning called 4 more none have any maxfire lx"s in stock one store said there security guy bought out the rack when they went on sale damm:mecry: i guess i am going to have to built one i can spend to much wife well kill me lol

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
went to two targets this morning called 4 more none have any maxfire lx"s in stock one store said there security guy bought out the rack when they went on sale damm:mecry: i guess i am going to have to built one i can spend to much wife well kill me lol

that tends to happen more frequent than not...where a guy who works there settles on the deal for himself:mecry:

Wolfhound 9K

Newly Enlightened
the main problem I've experienced with this mod is that you can't leave it on for much longer than 6 or so minutes (Magnum Star 9v Xenon bulb) before the plastic reflector itself starts melting and deforming

Fenris

Enlightened

Walmart still sells them, albeit at a higher price. $20.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried it with an Eveready cheapo with a faceted reflector...it was awesome for a few minutes! The faceted reflector gave it a beautiful hot spot that rivaled my SF 6P for smoothness. But after only about 4 minutes, the reflector melted. :shakehead

I can vouch for the Mag 2C 3 X CR123 5D Magnum star hotwire. I have a couple of them and they are VERY impressive! :rock:

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't had any heat issues with mine, the head of the light gets pretty warm after awhile as is expected, but not hot enough to damage anything.

splitfire11

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to this hobby so I tried that method out, except I used the Rayovac industrial model. It worked for a few days, using it for no more than 5 mins, because it would get very hot. After a few days, the batteries are dead, but it was fun to do. The output was better than stock, but it is no Mag 2c conversion.