magled vs. terralux cree 2-3 cell dropin

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
ok. i just picked up a magled for 3 cell.
i REALLY wanted one for 4cell but i happen to have a 3 cell mag laying around and sears didn't have a 4 cell anyways and that's where i was.

my question is, how does this compare brightness and runtime to the new terralux cree drop in made for 2-3 cell.
i assume it will be great on a 3 cell light.
but how is the runtime.

i mainly meant this for an emergency light so should i get a terralux or keep my magled. how do they compare lumens and runtime?

JamisonM

Enlightened
I'm sure if you search you'll find what you're looking for. Here's a link to Newbie's review of the magled drop-ins. A little ways up from the bottom is a runtime graph for a 2D maglite. For an emergency light, I'd keep the magled light. While the terralux will be brighter, I'd guess the runtime for the magled will be longer. At the bottom of that same page you can go back to the main site and look around for review of both versions of the terralux drop-ins. I'd hope that the info there is dated, as MattK has informed us that the problems with early modules have been fixed. I'd still go with the magled. Amount of light isn't as important to me as how long I can sustain the light. In a situation when the lights are out and you don't know when they'll come back one; I wouldn't take the risk.
Or like most people say; buy both. have one for general use and the other for emergencies. Put one in the tail cap and install the other. When the time comes, rotate them. Also, don't forget the batteries.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
i've got plenty of non emergency lights so i don't want to keep both.
although i am a big fan of the typical cpf rule. lol.

what i'm wondering is, if the terralux is driving a cree, and the magled is driving a luxeon.
if this is the case, i think i'd rather have the terralux.
even if the hours are just a few shorter, it would be much brighter for that period of time.
i'm all about efficency.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
my question is, how does this compare brightness and runtime to the new terralux cree drop in made for 2-3 cell.
i assume it will be great on a 3 cell light.
but how is the runtime.

Good question. I just checked BatteryJunction.com and they carry the old one with the Seoul LED:

TLE-6EXB TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 2-3 C/D cell Maglites

I'd be interested in some good information on the "CREE" version.

Edit: Well, looks like the announced Cree version is for the MiniMag.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=169425

Sounds like they just second sourced their Seoul's with Cree's.

Is there a Cree version for the big Maglites too ?

Last edited:

arty

Enlightened
I have a Mag LED in a 4D and use it daily for walking the dog. I also keep a flashlightlens.com ldf lens in it. I just changed the batteries yesterday - I originally installed them May 21. It was still putting out plenty of light, but one of the cells was near death - the others were fine. The light goes on forever.

The 3D should give good runtime, but I would recommend that you add some method of diffusing the light.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
i did, i stippled the reflector.
see my "homemade stippled reflector post"
it applied to this 3d magled.

that's good info about the 4d mag working for many months.
that's the kind of thing i'm looking for.
sure wish it had a cree or seoul based light.
can we mod these drop ins?

nmanchin

Newly Enlightened
the terralux's put out a lot of light, but have a common history of delaminating from the heatsink base which can cause all sorts of problems including color shift, flickering and noise probably all from heat soak... 5 minute fix with a soldering gun and some thermal epoxy though. love mine. put in in a 3 c with a magCTower heatsink and mineral glass out front. it's a beautiful light, great size for a walk too.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last I heard:

Stock configuration, using a 6D maglite, about 23 hours in regulation (@temperature equalized output i.e. dimmed) then fades into moon mode. Not a 4D, so figure ~2/3 of that.

If anyone has newer run times, I'd love to hear them.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
the terralux's put out a lot of light, but have a common history of delaminating from the heatsink base which can cause all sorts of problems including color shift, flickering and noise probably all from heat soak... 5 minute fix with a soldering gun and some thermal epoxy though. love mine. put in in a 3 c with a magCTower heatsink and mineral glass out front. it's a beautiful light, great size for a walk too.

I've been "shopping" for the ideal TerraLux configuration for 2c's and would love to hear more about what you've done and why - and how each has worked out.

For example, what's the 5 minute fix and are you still using the plastic reflector and do you think an aluminum reflector could do double duty as a partial heat sink?

BTW, are you running the EX or the EXB?

Thanks!

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Runtime TerraLUX should be longer than with the MagLED because the drive current is lower to the TerraLUX. 20 hrs to 50% on 4D's IIRC.

We have the Cree TLE-5EX's in stock but I've got a few SSC TLE-5EX's left before we make the change on the site.

TerraLUX has lots of cool new stuff in development. No, I cannot tell you about them yet. :)

Lastly the thermal glue issue was present only on a small percentage of early (hand assembled) units. The current units are mass-produced and we haven't been having any issues with the thermal glue - or lack thereof so no fix/work/modifications should be necessary.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Matt Dude,

Thank you for chiming in, your level of service and attention to detail are confidence inspiring. I have a half-dozen upgrades to do and TerraLux+BatteryJunction looks like the way to go. :D

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
ElectronGuru: My pleasure buddy. :)

jasonsmaglites: LOL - many things can and will happen but a Q5 TerraLUX isn't likely for a while - the premiums for Q5's are just way too high right now. :)

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Matt Dude,

Thank you for chiming in, your level of service and attention to detail are confidence inspiring. I have a half-dozen upgrades to do and TerraLux+BatteryJunction looks like the way to go. :D

+1 to that... :cool: and Matt, when should we expect those new Terralux products? Before Christmas, or in a few weeks?

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Matt, when should we expect those new Terralux products? Before Christmas, or in a few weeks?

Don't look now, but Xmas is creeping up pretty close. It's already less than 90 days away.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
NA8,

Hehe... I saw that after I pressed "post" and thought, "Who will be the first to point that out?"

Congrats! YOU WIN!!!

HEHE... :whistle:

Latest posts