homemade stippled reflector

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
i bought a 3d magled today and took a reflector i had lying around (anyone worth his weight on this forum has a maglite reflector lying around after all) and stippled it for the first time ever.
i was pretty excited at the outcome.

i was at sears and bought a $3 can of clear enamel and just sprayed it.
that simple. i sprayed it three times, let it dry, and repeated.

the light is much more useful now as it completely got rid of the black circle in the middle! i just wanted to share how easy this was.

robo21

Enlightened
i bought a 3d magled today and took a reflector i had lying around (anyone worth his weight on this forum has a maglite reflector lying around after all) and stippled it for the first time ever.
i was pretty excited at the outcome.

i was at sears and bought a $3 can of clear enamel and just sprayed it.
that simple. i sprayed it three times, let it dry, and repeated.

the light is much more useful now as it completely got rid of the black circle in the middle! i just wanted to share how easy this was.

Thanks for the info, could you please post some pictures of the reflector and beam shots?

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
i doubt i'll get you a beam shot but pretty much i may have even OVER stippled it. the beam is super smooth and is well past losing all the artifacts. i'd like to do just one thin coat next time.

there is no more donut hole as if it was never a maglite.
some focusing remains, and a beautiful beam for walking with.
i like the wide focus where most of the light is coming through but hate that huge donut when you do it.
this lets me get the highest lumen setting, with a wall of light!