• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Puttin my "Baby" up for sale! AN/VSS-1, MINT!

BVH

Flashaholic
SOLD! Puttin my "Baby" up for sale! AN/VSS-1, MINT!

ITEM SOLD Can't edit title?

I have a lot of mixed feelings about putting my first tank light project up for sale but, Mr. carbon arc gets all my attention these days and I just hate to see Mr. AN/VSS-1 sitting unused. It's a crime!

I spent a shade under $3,200 building it and will let her go for $2,000. That's less than a Helios!

For those of you who have thought about getting a big tank light, you won't do better than my "Baby". This is a 100% "turnkey" portable/towable light and it's a "10" on the 10 scale. You don't have to do a thing to it. Absolutely nothing! Just tow it home, turn the switch and blast whatever it is you're going to blast. (Do not aim at people, animals or aircraft) A fully set of charged batteries will give you somewhere around 50 to 60 minutes of use. It uses 4 each, Group 31 AGM deep cycle batteries for a total of 220 Amps @ 27 or so Volts. I have maybe a couple of hours of use on it since completing it.

Everything you see is brand new except, of course, the light itself. It comes with an extra control box.

A lot of my blood, sweat and tears (well, maybe some swear words in there, too) went into building her. I'd guess somewhere around 175 to 200. (I did some things twice, not by choice, though)

To learn a lot more if you don't know about my tank light, (and VSS-1's in general) and for more pictures, read the threads below starting at post 240

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/110558&page=5

Another thread with this light in it.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2046322#post2046322

Buyer to pick up light, no deliveries or shipping. I calc'd the total weight at somewhere around 1,000 to 1,100 lbs. GVW on the trailer is about 1,350. It easily rolls around on flat ground with one person moving it. Even though it didn't need it, I added additional cross members and I doubled them up with angle iron underneath to make the trailer much stronger than stock.

rearrightquarter.jpg

rightsideclose.jpg

Last edited:

ianb

Enlightened
Thats one jaw dropping light, if only shipping to the UK was less ;)

I could probably shine it back across the Atlantic to confirm receipt :D

Good luck with the sale :thumbsup:

Ian :)

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it too bright for night adapted vision? :whistle:

Can you make crumpets with it?;)

Seriously cool light - if only I lived in the states!

Be lucky...

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wish I had money and where to use it! But seriously I was thinking since you are in Cal. why don't you contact some of the movie studios, they might find it interesting and useful and give you top dollar for it.

HTS (Hope it sells)
AlexGT

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hot damn, just hook 'er up to my old crusier and bingo, the hottest EDC in town....errrr...state....errr....?? My wife hasn't seen my latest--a Barn Burner. I'd have to hide this one in the garage--otherwise I'd be in the doghouse!! Nice! I wanna but just can't...:(

Karl

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats one jaw dropping light, if only shipping to the UK was less ;)

I could probably shine it back across the Atlantic to confirm receipt :D

Good luck with the sale :thumbsup:

Ian :)

Go for it Ian - I'll chip in $50 bucks for Global Priority:party:.

bouncer

Enlightened
Too bad I'm short on cash the NH seacoast needs a portable lighthouse. Yeah ? Maybe a donation to keep the remaining fishing fleet safe ?

larryk

Enlightened
I would take it if I didn't live so darn far away. What a great deal, and excellent workmanship in putting it all together BVH. Wisconsin is a great place to vist in the fall, with the beautiful colors of the leaves changing and all. Hint hint.

Last edited:

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would take it if I didn't live so darn far away. What a great deal, and excellent workmanship in putting it all together BVH. Wisconsin is a great place to vist in the fall, with the beautiful colors of the leaves changing and all. Hint hint.
ROAD TRIP!!!!!

Lets go get it Larry....

havand

Enlightened
What on earth would you use this for??? Heh, i'd just spend everynight randomly pointing it at the sky and flashing some kind of morsecode toward random stars.

BVH

Flashaholic
Hey TB, I like your suggestion. Come on, Larry!

One thing I'd recommend. The trailer has the "big" 12" wheels rated for 55mph, not the 8" mini wheels. I'd recommend having me remove the light from the mount for a long distance haul. I'm sure it would be fine but I envisioned hauling it around town more or less.

Last edited: