need to find certain LED drop in…

flash_bang

Enlightened
I need a light for astronomy, and I'd like it to be a red LED.

It has to be low output around 1-8 ish lumens. I need it to be a P60 sized drop-in, because I have a G2 and it doesn't seem very likely that I'll be getting a light like the old gen L1 in red, so I'm looking for a different option.

if there isn't anything like that, I'd be willing to find a light that has similar surefire quality, low red beam, runs on 123's, has good runtime and is relatively inexpensive, say sub 80 bucks.

Also, it's vital that the LED be red, I don't want to deal with red filters or anything.

and btw, I don't care if it's one or two 123's, and if the option allows for rechargeables, that would be awesome.

Thanks so much, I know you guys can help me! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Flash

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know of many lights that come with red LEDs. There's that ROV 1AA headlight, those S&W "Galaxy" multi-5mm ones, and probably a few others. If you really need a specific kind of flashlight, but red, you're probably best off modding one you already have to red (make sure it dims down low enough). Personally, I think your situation is calling for a red Photon Freedom.

Jay T

Enlightened
Peak sells a number of lights with a red led option. The only one that takes 123s would be the Mckinley, the problem with that one is that is uses 7 leds so it might be a little too bright. They do sell other AA AAA and N cell lights that have red led options.

ak645

Newly Enlightened
Hi flash_bang,

Check out Rigel Systems.Flashlights for astronomers by astronomers.$5 discount for CPF members! More info in dealers section in GreenLeds CPF specials thread.

http://www.rigelsys.com/

Andy

scottaw

Enlightened
definately +1 on a red photon freedom. About $15, small, and good quality.

If you want a 123 light, check out the inova X5, solid as a rock, and the best red beam i've found.

Avoid the older L1's in red, in white they're great, the red beam stinks.

flash_bang

Enlightened
well, I ended up getting a photon microlight II from sportsman's warehouse today! I think it'll be awesome for astronomy and such. I made a simple 550 cord neck lanyard for it and it is resting around my neck ATM. I don't think I need the dimming option in the freedom, so that's why I got the microlight II instead, plus light in hand worth two in the bush and all that.

also, my mom now has two lights on her person. One cheapie 99 cent light I got at ACE on her keys and a streamlight keymate that is on her purse. She said she got to use the keymate today because she was knitting in the car, and dropped her needle, so she use the light to find it on the floor :D :D :D yay! I knew she'd understand. Now just to convince her I need the M2 with BOG 170 Lu drop in :D:D:D.

HAGO,
Flash