ISO < 4in, best CREE, bottom clicky, CR123A

Joshatdot

Enlightened
There are so many on DX I am not sure what to get.

I want one that is 4 inches or less, best CREE LED, bottom clicky (single or multi mode), CR123A batt. I kinda like this one GREE-Cree P4 CR123A.

What are your recommendations/opinions?

p.s. - I am sorry if this has been asked 100x before.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
It's been asked 1000 times before.

Go to fenix-store.com and get the P2D CE. It's $55 but it'll last a lot longer than the DX stuff and will work better and likely be brighter too.

$10 or so more will get you a Rebel which is a little brighter, but right now it seems there's a lot of variation in the tints of the led so I'd personally avoid one of them right now.

finn

Newly Enlightened
EDIT: Sorry, I missed the bottom clicky part. Ignore this.

I was looking for one to try to fabricate a small 1xcr123 handgun light.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2821
This one is ~2.5inches for 15usd.
It will be interesting to see how a cheapo light takes recoil. I'm not getting my hopes up.

Last edited:

daimleramg

Banned

Go to fenix-store.com and get the P2D CE. It's $55 but it'll last a lot longer than the DX stuff and will work better and likely be brighter too.

$10 or so more will get you a Rebel which is a little brighter, but right now it seems there's a lot of variation in the tints of the led so I'd personally avoid one of them right now.

Yes its been asked 1000 times before but look at his join date... he wasnt part of CPF when it was asked for the umpteenth time. So be nice to new CPF'ers. If it's been asked so many times before, just dont read the thread and it wont bother u.

daimleramg

Banned

It will be interesting to see how a cheapo light takes recoil. I'm not getting my hopes up.

I heard of people testing out their fenix lights P1D CE and P2D CE, was a shock test meaning they threw their lights as high in the air as they could and let it drop to the concrete ground. End result was only a few scratches, so I dont think the recoil of a handgun or even a rifle will harm a LED. There are lots of tacticle LED lights made for guns, even seen a few incans that still can handle the recoil so u should be fine.

Joshatdot

Enlightened

Thanks for your input about Fenix FL's. I just found a Fenix P1D CE YouTube vid...OMG that lil thing is hella bright & tiny!

Joshatdot

Enlightened

The reason I want a Clicky is so I can use it in one hand easily. That looks like a good one...too bad its twisty =\

Joshatdot

Enlightened
Yes its been asked 1000 times before but look at his join date... he wasnt part of CPF when it was asked for the umpteenth time. So be nice to new CPF'ers. If it's been asked so many times before, just dont read the thread and it wont bother u.

Thanks for your kind words & understanding daimleramg :) I am very noobie to CPF & LED FL's.

daimleramg

Banned
That light on DX uses a P4 - not as bright as the newer Cree Q2 to Q5's. I'd look at this one which has a Q4 and is small: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5435
I've got the rebel version of this light and it's great - they also have the rebel version.

I have the P1D CE and EMR1... the rebel EMR1(military green)is only a bit brighter for the 1st 4 mins....then it drops off very quickly, seems like its on direct drive. But it has 5 modes so it should be regulated no? After 10 mins with both lights on the P1D CE is much brighter, as mins goes by the rebel gets very yellow until its almost like an incan. Needless to say i sold it to a friend that doesnt have a light for only $20.00(spent $37.99) and ordered sku 5435 from dealextreme(military greeen,they also have a black version sku 5444) hopefully it will out perform my P1D CE

Joshatdot

Enlightened
That light on DX uses a P4 - not as bright as the newer Cree Q2 to Q5's. I'd look at this one which has a Q4 and is small: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5435
I've got the rebel version of this light and it's great - they also have the rebel version.

Ahh thanks for the tip on Cree Q2~Q4 emitters! I don't know what the newest & best is yet of any LED emitters. (the correct term is emitter right?)

Is the one you linked is the exact same as this one? http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5444 .. I like both of them :)

daimleramg

Banned
Ahh thanks for the tip on Cree Q2~Q4 emitters! I don't know what the newest & best is yet of any LED emitters. (the correct term is emitter right?)

Is the one you linked is the exact same as this one? http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5444 .. I like both of them :)

Well I dont know if they are the same, because any light with the same Q4 LED could have a different tint. Like warm white or cool white, now the green one sku 5435 if u look at beamshots has a cooler tint but sku 5444 has a warmer tint. I ordered sku 5435 the green one hoping to get a cooler tint Q4

Joshatdot

Enlightened
Well I dont know if they are the same, because any light with the same Q4 LED could have a different tint. Like warm white or cool white, now the green one sku 5435 if u look at beamshots has a cooler tint but sku 5444 has a warmer tint. I ordered sku 5435 the green one hoping to get a cooler tint Q4

Yeah, I just noticed they look pretty much exact hardware wise, but one is green & the other is black.

Is there really much color temp variance? even if it's the same LED emitter?

daimleramg

Banned
Yeah, I just noticed they look pretty much exact hardware wise, but one is green & the other is black.

Is there really much color temp variance? even if it's the same LED emitter?

If you look at it one by one it is hard to tell, but if u put 2 beamshots side by side it is very easy to spot. If your gonna buy one of them go for the green one if you like a bluish tint but buying both of them is only $47.00 :twothumbs

holeymoley

Newly Enlightened
You initially asked about that GREE light from DX and I thought I'd comment.

I just got my second one and it is awesome. The finish is good, relatively scratchproof and the threads are tight making it pretty waterproof (I dropped mine into a stream and the light was unaffected). There is no low mode and the "on" mode is pretty bright, throws well with good spill. But mostly, it's a great light for $17. Sure the Fenix is better but you won't feel bad about beating this one up.

Joshatdot

Enlightened
You initially asked about that GREE light from DX and I thought I'd comment.

I just got my second one and it is awesome. The finish is good, relatively scratchproof and the threads are tight making it pretty waterproof (I dropped mine into a stream and the light was unaffected). There is no low mode and the "on" mode is pretty bright, throws well with good spill. But mostly, it's a great light for $17. Sure the Fenix is better but you won't feel bad about beating this one up.

Thanks for your review of the GREE :) But I think I am gona go for one or both of the CREE Q4's that were listed earlier :D

Khaytsus

Enlightened

And as a new user to a forum they should read a few pages in. I bet the first three pages have multiple threads about small Fenix lights. And the "google search" at the top of the forum works too, even when the built-in forum search is misconfigured and doesn't work.

Joshatdot

Enlightened
And as a new user to a forum they should read a few pages in. I bet the first three pages have multiple threads about small Fenix lights. And the "google search" at the top of the forum works too, even when the built-in forum search is misconfigured and doesn't work.

Yes granted...but there is no Sticky of LED terms, emitter brands and their models, lux vs lumin...just a list of FL's that have CREE, Seoul & Rebel emitters. Which just lists FL brand, model of FL, batt type, type of switch and price.

All I am saying is that it would be nice for FL/LED noobs, like me, a FAQ that listed LED emitter brands, their models from lowest to highest, key definitions of LED specs, etc...yadda yadda yadda.

I saw it said CREE XR-E...but what does that mean? It's like having a list of internal combustion engines that only said: Chevy Caprice, V8, 15gal tank, fuel injected, $500.00.

Last edited:

jdong

Newly Enlightened
The information here can be very overwhelming to a newcomer that isn't familiar with flashlight terminology... I've been lurking here for a few months and the initial week or two were very confusing.... There's lots of terms and LED models/bins to learn, and information is scattered around, and information becomes outdated/obsolete pretty fast too.

It's nice if people could at least point to relevant previous discussions or give better pointers of what to search for, rather than just lamenting that it's been posted over and over again.