Has anyone tried the new terralux cree drop in for minimags

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw in the marketplace, that terralux now has a cree drop in for minimags, has anyone tried one yet?

vic2367

Enlightened
if your refferring to the te-5ex ...yes ,,,excellent drop in,,,great beam , excellent run times too,,,have em on my 2AA

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only problem with the minimag drop-in's is for a couple of dollars more you can buy something like a Lumapower LM301. Which is a pretty nice light. The minimag dropin's are losing some ground to the newer lights.

Last edited:

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only problem with the minimag drop-in's is for a couple of dollars more you can buy something like a Lumapower LM301. Which is a pretty nice light. The minimag dropin's are losing some ground to the newer lights.

Yeah I agree, but I like the minimag form factor, plus I like to modify things

copperfox

Enlightened
EDIT: it looks like there ARE two emitters for the TLE-5EX: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=169425The

Terralux website does not state what kind of emitter is used in the TLE-5EX, but Batteryjunction lists it as a Seoul. To make matters worse, the Terralux site says it is 140 lumens but sites where you can purchase the item state 80-100 lumens (both figures are most likely overstated). Batteryjunction is selling a Seoul TLE-5EX while other sites seem to be selling a K2 and a Cree variation as well. Therefore, either somebody is wrong, or Terralux is selling the same item with different emitters. I guess the only way to resolve this is to take macro shots of the TLE-5EX emitter and figure out which one it is.

My TLE-5EX is nice, brighter than the TLE-5. My 2AA minimag w/ TLE-5 is almost identical in tint and output as my 2AA Mini MagLED, however, the MagLED has a deeper reflecter, so it has a narrower spill but better throw.

Last edited:

sims2k

Enlightened
EDIT: it looks like there ARE two emitters for the TLE-5EX: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=169425The

Terralux website does not state what kind of emitter is used in the TLE-5EX, but Batteryjunction lists it as a Seoul. To make matters worse, the Terralux site says it is 140 lumens but sites where you can purchase the item state 80-100 lumens (both figures are most likely overstated). Batteryjunction is selling a Seoul TLE-5EX while other sites seem to be selling a K2 and a Cree variation as well. Therefore, either somebody is wrong, or Terralux is selling the same item with different emitters. I guess the only way to resolve this is to take macro shots of the TLE-5EX emitter and figure out which one it is.

My TLE-5EX is nice, brighter than the TLE-5. My 2AA minimag w/ TLE-5 is almost identical in tint and output as my 2AA Mini MagLED, however, the MagLED has a deeper reflecter, so it has a narrower spill but better throw.

Can anyone tell me if the TLE-5EX is any brighter than the 1 watt Nite-Ize dropins that I have in my 2AA minimags now ? I have three of them and I am not sure if it is worth the price to upgrade again...or just go for the Lumapower 301.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys,

I decided runtime was more important so I ordered another SMJLED from lighthound