Fenix must annoy dealers so much..

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
P4, q2, rebel, q5, i know dealers must be questioning ever buying more stock, because you buy 100 p4's then you find out the are releasing rebels, you update your website with rebels, then you find out they are making Q5's. makes a person wonder if they should wait for the cree R2 or what ever it is.... fenix move way too fast.
:faint:

shakeylegs

Enlightened
On the other hand, there are manufacturers who wait months and years to upgrade their technology. Either way it's rough on a retailer.

A respected company like Surefire, that sells into various markets - not just to fanatics - can get away with slow technological transitions. If a retailer can avoid carrying large inventories then my guess is the Fenix approach might generate more sales, especially among fanatics who are always seeking the latest and greatest.

HEY HEY ITS HENDO

Enlightened
Outdated

....... yes i know what you mean,
but exactly the same can be said for digital cameras, computer components etc.etc.the list is endless .....
i`ve often wondered if they are on a sale or return basis ??

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
Your point is valid, at least to a certain extent.

But I just bought a Q2 based Fenix, knowing the Q5s aren't far behind. I'll probably buy a Q5 once it's readily available here in the US. (In other words, once 4sevens stocks it. Heh.)

I guess what I'm saying is since the Fenix lights are so affordable, it's no biggie to buy the latest and greatest once they come out. I can't really justify that with a $200 Surefire. I know some can, but I'm on a budget.

So while it probably is unnerving for dealers knowing how quickly Fenix reacts to the market, their price point makes it very attractive to simply "buy them all!"

daimleramg

Banned
P4, q2, rebel, q5, i know dealers must be questioning ever buying more stock, because you buy 100 p4's then you find out the are releasing rebels, you update your website with rebels, then you find out they are making Q5's. makes a person wonder if they should wait for the cree R2 or what ever it is.... fenix move way too fast.

Is that a complaint? I dont know if you own a store and have to update your stock but from a customers standpoint i do like how fast they come out with new LEDs. Means i can get newer and brighter lights more often. Unlike SureFire they are very slow with new products(wonder why there are so many SureFire die-hard fans:shrug:) So if that was a complaint then just wait longer in between purchases. As for me Ill just have to clear off more space to make room for new lights on my dresser.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought the P3D rebel and am very happy with it. I do not know that I would buy the Q5 version just to replace it. I can imagine that having 30 Q2 binned lights to sell that are only a couple of months old, and receiving the new Q5's could be frustrating to retailers.

One thing I try to remember as I buy lights, is that the increases in light are not night and day. A Q5 will be brighter than a regular Cree or Q2, but not to the extent that the Cree is brighter thean the Lux 3 watt it replaced.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix are kind of specialty lights and only a few stores sell them. I know some of these stores request a lot of these changes and often sell out the first batch of new lights they get in with pre-orders alone. I don't think they are annoyed with all the new updated lights, they probably do better business with all the new updated models coming in than if they had the same old model all the time.

Also where are you seeing Fenix Q5's? I know fenix-store will mod a light at an added fee if you want them to put a Q5 in it, but they don't come that way from Fenix.

Fenix moves too fast? What, you want them to take a year to offer us the latest and greatest emitters? NO THANKS. It's not so much that Fenix is moving too fast, it's more to do with the LED makers moving so fast and bringing better emitters to market on a regular basis. Fenix is simply trying to keep up and offer the latest emitters in their lights. I'm glad that Fenix does their best to offer the latest and greatest emitters and I'm sure the dealers that sell them like it too as it means a lot of sales to people who want the latest and greatest emitters.

Last edited:

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wade, its a pro and con thing, i feel for the dealers who have to deal with ever changing models. Who wants to buy a cree p4 when you can guy a Q5 ? And the people who love flashlights like myself, would upgrade at least bi-update. I decided not to get a rebel, because i had a feeling they would make a Q5, even though they told me they would not make a Q5. If i had bought a rebel based on the communication from fenix that they told me they would NOT be making a cree Q5 light, i would be so annoyed you would not be able to restrain me.. I dont have money to throw around buying every flavor of light in the same model... If the body was different or something, smaller, larger or something i may buy every one in time. but to release 3 versions of a light that look and feel the same, but they only change the led, thats crazy. I think they should at the very least release cheaper flashlight heads, so you dont have to buy a whole new light if you dont want to.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
but to release 3 versions of a light that look and feel the same, but they only change the led, thats crazy. I think they should at the very least release cheaper flashlight heads, so you dont have to buy a whole new light if you dont want to.

It sounds like you are the one who is annoyed with Fenix coming out with so many new models. Did a dealer tell you they were unhappy with Fenix always releasing new models? Whenever I see foursevens from Fenix-store.com posting about new models he always seems very excited, and often has input on the outcome of the new models.

I bought a P3D P4, then a P3D Rebel100, then had my P3D P4 modded to a Q5 by Fenix-store. Do you think they are unhappy that they had all these new products to sell me?

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
Also where are you seeing Fenix Q5's? I know fenix-store will mod a light at an added fee if you want them to put a Q5 in it, but they don't come that way from Fenix.

Take a look at this. Based on the information and photos supplied, it seems Fenix is producing Q5 based lights. At least one, anyway.

P1D-Premium-Q5-1.jpg

I have yet to hear if 4sevens will be selling this light.

It doesn't seem like they have much trouble consistently selling out new lights. All a dealer has to do is watch the trends, and buy new lights accordingly. I've seen a lot of their newer, and expensive lights sell out on pre-orders, and then sell out again.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Good grief.. People complain about Surefire moving too slow, and now Fenix moves too fast.

At least that's what I got out of the OP's rambling.. This is silly.

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Take a look at this. Based on the information and photos supplied, it seems Fenix is producing Q5 based lights. At least one, anyway.

P1D-Premium-Q5-1.jpg

I believe these will be available as a production item in November. My guess, any other dealer with Q5's has had them made to order.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast

P1D-Premium-Q5-1.jpg

My order has been placed :) I'll announce this officially in cpfm dealers section this week :)

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
The good part about it is that it makes the consumer happy,
more sales for the dealer as well

Well I have some serious overstock of luxeon Fenixes. When the cree
came in 9 months ago, it messed up my luxeon sales :(
I've got tons of P1 blacks and L2T's

Oh, did you guys notice the new finish? The P1DCE-q5 will be available in
3 finishes.... black, natural and silver :)

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I have some serious overstock of luxeon Fenixes. When the cree
came in 9 months ago, it messed up my luxeon sales :(
I've got tons of P1 blacks and L2T's

Oh, did you guys notice the new finish? The P1DCE-q5 will be available in
3 finishes.... black, natural and silver :)

Dang that hurts. Have you considered modding them with Seouls and selling them that way. I think that would be your only chance at selling them, unless a real newbie buys one. The problem is that the Luxeon models are so close in price to the Cree versions that you would have to either be stupid or really really cheap to buy one.

Is fenix going to be releasing anything else with Q5's in it, or maybe a new light all together? I know you normally don't like to give out too much info too early, but a simple yes would do the trick for me. ;)

Illum

Flashaholic
Fenix only annoys people who wants the most recent in technology....the latest this the latest that....why can't a compromise to be settled on something thats "second" instead of "first"? :shrug:

data_lore

Newly Enlightened
Especially when their regulating circuits last less than 10 minutes! I have a P3D and it's already strobing after less than 20 minutes operational use on turbo mode.