OMG - NEW Lowes Task Force 3W "CREE" 2C 150+ lumens

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperTorch

Enlightened
It's the NEW KING of 2 C Cell THROW and Value at $29.95 batterie included.

For those that have been around long enough you'll know their is a group of owners here that worship their Lowe's Task Force 2C 3Watt LED's and the basically same Advanced Auto Parts 3W. I'm one of them that has written self reviews on the two lights. Well I was at Lowe's today and I was looking at the good old Task Force 3W when I noticed it said Xlamp on it along with 150+ lumens. I took a quick glance at the lens and realized it was indeed a CREE LED. The Luxeon version(the one we all loved) has always had the whitest bin of LED's and most consistently built. I instantly went to the register and bought the new Cree version expecting a nice jump in brightness. Now keep in mind I have modded my previous AAP 3W and the old Task Force with SSC P4 that are very very nice.....

Here's the shocker the NEW Task Force Cree Xlamp($29.95) THROWS as well as a Mag LED but with a hot spot twice as big. It's throws better way than the SSC P4 and is whiter. They have taken all of the light the CREE puts out and made it into a THROW MONSTER.... I'M BLOWN AWAY.............

I CAN"T BELIEVE THIS LIGHT. They have made the colminator lens to make this Cree TTHHRROOOOWWW. For $29.95 picked up at your local Lowe's it's an UNBEATABLE LED FLASHLIGHT. Once again I'm blown away at the value but more so on the THROW of this 150+ lumen 2C. Below are the 2 threads to show you just how loved the 2 first lights are. Now imagine that light being twice as bright with the intent of the new lens to focus the very very white CREE in a tight throw. There is only one thing you need to do - Head to Lowe's tomorrow and get the new CREE Task Force for $29.95 it's a State of the Art 2C Cree 150+ lumens in a tight throw. I'm SPEECHLESS at the beam. I'm still in shock that a light that I considered the best 2C on the market is now 2X as bright for the same money. It's simple the Task Force 3W CREE Xlamp is now the 2C world wide leader of THROW and Value imho of course. I can't wait to hear what the other TaskForce lovers think of it because I know they'll buy it based on the first one if there is any fault to the new Task Force Cree it may be that the throw is to tight but not for me. :), You think I'm kidding about it throwing like a MAG... I"M NOT.

Original Task Force 3W Thread
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/136300

Advanced Autoparts 3W thread
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/139870

SuperTorch

Enlightened
Yes they are basically just swap out the STAR and your done. It may be a Q5 the TaskForce was much more consistant than the AAP 3W. This one is BRIGHT AND WHITE and the beam pattern is tighter than the original Luxeon 3 watt. 10 degree patten is my guess. It's running 1.2A on fresh DuraCell C's

Last edited:

mhubble

Enlightened
Any idea what the runtime is on this light??

Ive got two of the advance auto lights I modded with SSC P4 and the run times are amazing.

SuperTorch

Enlightened
Run time should be identical to the old ones since I'm 99.9% sure its the same boost circiut but maybe not since the others ran at about 1.0A and this one pushes the Cree Xlamp at 1.2A at least mine does with brand new DuraCell C's that come with it, it also has a pouch. Yes it clearly says Xlamp you can see the rectangular Cree base along with the ring around the LED. Like I said its very very white and I know from previous multiple TaskForce 3W that they were all very white, I have a suspicion that lowes makes them use quality bin leds so like I said it wouldn't surprise me if these were Q5 all I know is its white and bright and a true Cree Star and like I said it throws like a MAG. In fact now that I've used it even more I realize just how tight the beam is. It really is a throw light but has a little useablity in spill. Crees are know to have good spill but here they get it all out the front in a tight beam. I'm throwing at trees 200ft away and the beam is very well defined in the trees

SuperTorch

Enlightened
The package also clearly states 150+ lumens in fact looking at the package it says the Xlamp 1 watt is 75 lumens so it looks like the 1W they have modeled after the 3W will also gat a Xlamp in it.

sims2k

Enlightened
I guess it is time to head out to Lowes and see what the excitement is about. Going to buy one and compare with the ROV 4W 3C lights.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually just noticed someone selling one of these in the BST forums. Couldn't even believe that it hadn't been mentioned on the forums at all. Looks like I'll be picking one up as soon as I go to Lowes.

I realize you like this light quite a bit (I'm sure I will too!) but I highly doubt they are using Q5 bin Crees in there. Considering only a few different lights are using them right now and those lights are all special edition high quality lights that sell for over $100 each.
If it does in fact use a Cree star you should be able to buy a Q5 star from DX or Kai for under $10 and upgrade it yourself.

Do you have any pics of the light or maybe some beamshots?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Thanks for the news, SuperTorch. I'm one of those with a AAP model that still impresses me. Sounds like I may be making a trip to Lowe's. I wonder if AAP will be getting a new one.

Geoff

SuperTorch

Enlightened
Thanks for the news, SuperTorch. I'm one of those with a AAP model that still impresses me. Sounds like I may be making a trip to Lowe's. I wonder if AAP will be getting a new one.

Geoff

In time I bet so since it was found out to be the same manufacturer as the Lowes.

SuperTorch

Enlightened
All I can see on it is Cree XLAMP 7090B it looks identical to the DX site pic. If the Q5 is A LOT brighter I might consider modding down the road but as it stand it's a punishing thrower for a 2C light. Can wait till people compare it to their Mag leds(I own one) the beam is tight and bright and 2 C cells shouldn't be able to do this.

here are a few pics - I've already put the base and lens in my AAP housing since I like it so much, you do have to not screw the electronics to far into the head to make the Cree seat perfectly. Anyhow here are a few bad pics. The Modded Task force SSC P4 is on the left and was my best lumen output light the Cree Task Force is on the right notice how focused the spot is. The beam is at 13.6ft and the hot spot is 13-15 inches so it appears to be a 8-10 degree beam/lens.

Last edited:

Phaetos

Enlightened
What is the Lowe's part number so that we can call stores prior to driving all over town?

SuperTorch

Enlightened
It's the same part number as the old one and the same model number I thought that was kind of odd, but its not the same light that's for sure. The easiest distinguishing mark is the Xlamp LED Technology printed on the package and also the fact that the old one said 30x brighter than traditional lights and this package says 60X brighter, so if you call your Lowe's ask them to look and see if it says 60X brighter printed in red as its the largest font on the packaging.

Northernflame

Newly Enlightened
Hi.

Just great... I just ordered a 504c cree 4xC and some one posts this.

No wonder we suffer from flashoholism.

robk

Enlightened
Anyone try it with NiMH cells? I have (9) 4500mAh NiMH cells with basically no home - (sold the Elektrolumens light), just wondering if the boost circuit will perform well at 2.4V total.
Thanks,
Rob

wai king

Newly Enlightened
Thanks SuperTorch, First thing tomorrow I'm heading to Lowe's. After reading your review I can't wait/sleep. :twothumbs

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of switch does it have?

1.2 amps is alot of current from two C size alkaline batteries.

I would like to know the runtime curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.