Dereelight-CL1H or LumaPower MRV

weathermaker

Newly Enlightened
Ok, quick question for you guys. I'm planning on getting one of the two lights below. Let me know the pros and cons of each and recommend me which one you would get and why. ie. which one is more durable, better battery life, more output, more throw, more upgradeable, etc. If there is another light that compares to these two around the same price (~$80) then let me know too, Thanks.

Dereelight-CL1H 2.0
LumaPower MRV

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're two different lights. The Dereelight CL1H 2.0 is more of an all-around light, while the LP MRV is all about throw. What do you want?

The CL1H is smaller and more compact (smaller diameter head), so it's much easier to carry and/or EDC. The bezel down clip makes it hide away in your pocket easily, while leaving enough exposed area (the tailcap) for fast drawing when you need it. The head is small enough that it doesn't make a huge bulge in your pocket. Throw is quite good with the smooth reflector, tho personally I prefer the OP reflector for a smoother beam. Spill is very useable. Has low and high levels and low runs for a very long time on an 18650 with perfect regulation.

The MRV is all about throw. If that's what you want and don't mind sacrificing size and pocketability (will need to either backpack it, holster it, or jacket pocket it), then the MRV is your throw monster. Regulation is not as good on high as it's trying to make max output and max throw, but the eye will see little difference during use even tho output isn't flat. Along with being a larger diameter, it's longer also, so again, less compact. The Tiablo is also one to consider if you're interested in the MRV, tho at the price you mentioned, I assume you're getting from DX in which case the Tiablo is much pricier.

For me, I prefer the CL1H as it's more of an all-around light I can use in various situations, including indoors. For throw, I have my SL TL-3.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Yup, different classes of lights.

The competitor for the CL1H is the Luma M1-R. Fairly new on the scene, so not too many reviews yet. If you want this style of light, I would look closely among these two options.

The competitor for the MRV is the new Dereelight DBS (not released yet), or Tiablo A8/A9. Again, lots of issues to consider among the competion.

havand

Enlightened
I very much like my Dereelight CL. It, my Jetbeam and my VB-16 from Waion get the most use of any of my lights. the Dereelight seems very well made, has a gorgeous finish and is very enjoyable to use! Havn't directly tested runtime, but i've never worried about it much.

bspofford

Enlightened
I agree with the other comments above. The LumaPower MRV competes with the DereeLight DBS, and the LumaPower M1 competes with the DereeLight CL1H. If you are looking for a versatile light for many different applications, you can't beat the CL1H for quality and price.

Saiga

Enlightened
i've been looking hard at these two myself lately,and FWIW, i'm now ( well, today,anyway) leaning toward the tiablo A8, and it's only $15 over your $80 budget.

weathermaker

Newly Enlightened
okay, thanks for the input! As of now, I think I am leaning towards the dereelight...it is more easily upgradeable and the q4 or q5 module should be coming out in the next few weeks. I would like something with a little more throw then my l2d-ce, so does the dereelight have much more throw? I do like the size of the dereelight as opposed to the MRV.