Help with a focused beam headlamp

koeovo1on

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

I would like to make something similar to this for school.

If you could point me in the right direction for which LED I should look into getting that would provide 5000 foot-candles at a distant of 16-22 inches. The light would need to be focused (3-6 inches diameter). I've been told to use a 12-15 degree reflector for achieving that goal.

Any help with this subject matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kev

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The link gets me to a register or log on screen.

I'm thinking maybe a Cree XR-E(Bin P4 or above) with a short focus asperical lens. You can tune it's footcandle/Lux by changing the distance of the lens to the LED.

If you don't know already, the newer/brighter/more efficient LEDs are the Cree XR-E , Seoul P4 and Rebel 100.

:welcome:

koeovo1on

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Gunner12 for offering a helping hand. I fixed the link to the picture. I will look into the 3 LEDs you mentioned above.

once again, thanks for answering my question and welcoming me to the forum.

Kev

DM51

Flashaholic
I'm not quite clear about what you want. Is this sign going to be backlit or projected? Black letters on white (as in your picture) or white on black?

koeovo1on

Newly Enlightened
Hey DM51. Thanks... I'm not quite sure on your questions about the sign. It will be used to look at the mouth. I'm a dental student. Hope that information helps.

kev

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
:) DM51 was just joking about the picture, this is what we see:
accessii2.gif

I think you need to upload the picture somewhere else, like imageshack.us for example and then post the link here. I am sorry I can't help you with the LED's, but there are many experts here that will know bettter.