Replace P2D-CE with P2D-RB100?

Whiteknight

Newly Enlightened
I received a P2D-CE as a gift this weekend and I love it but I'd like to know if I'd be better off going through the time and expense to exchange it for a P2D-RB100. Any thoughts?

Edit: fixed typo

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a P2D CE too and would not do it. First because the difference in output is not that high. Second because once you have bought the Rebel 100 version there will be the new CREE Q5 type on the market and should you buy also that one you will be faced with an R2, R3, R4..... immediately afterwards.

My advice is to enjoy your new P2D CE and wait a while before you look for a new one. By that time five or six improved versions will have been marketed and the difference in performance will have become significant. Only then you will be able to enjoy your next purchase much more.
If you change your light now you will probably join the list of people who post new issues starting with "Disappointed by the new.....". :naughty:

:popcorn:

Gizzy

Newly Enlightened
I'm against the upgrade also...not really anything close to being a significant upgrade but you can have some fun if you pick up LXD body & tailcap so you can use AA's

and anyway...don't look a gift horse in the mouth :nana:

patycake57

Newly Enlightened
I think the main reason to exchange it would be for the IMO cleaner beam characteristics of the rebel, e.g. if you use the P2D for more close up work. The improvement will be most if you have the Cree with the smooth reflector, and minor if you have the orange peel reflector.
Edit: I probably wouldn't bother if I had the MOP reflector.

kurni

Enlightened
I have both but I wouldn't upgrade. RB100 has a slightly nicer tint and beam pattern; nothing major.

EDIT: RB100 has a much better beam pattern but I am using a diffuser for close range so I don't notice it. I cannot notice the beam pattern when I need the throw to light distant objects either.

Last edited:

onthebeam

Enlightened
Honestly, I wish they'd do a Seoul version. Nobody ever complains about Seoul tints and they have a great transition from spot to fill. Smooth.