Fenix P2D models

npkeith

Newly Enlightened
Help me out here -
I'm looking at the various Fenix P2D models. There is at least one with a cree Q5, but the premium model has a luxeon rebel. Is this because the rebel can be pushed harder/gives more light initially, or is it that they just haven't released the cree version of the deluxe model yet? I want the 175 lumens in turbo, but (from what I've gathered) I want the Cree too.

Am I wrong? Is the rebel actually the better choice for a P2D? Comments please.
-Keith

Z-Man

Newly Enlightened
Hey, keith

Ironicly I was, am wondering the same thing. Hope someone can enlighten us..

AZ...

d123

Newly Enlightened
As far as I know there isnt an "out of the box" P2D Q5, the top of the range is the Reb100, if you want a Q5, it's a special mod undertaken by David at fenix-store.

I dont have a P2D anymore, but I do have the P3D Reb100 and it's one of the best small/light LED lights, perfect tint, hotspot and spill. Superior to any of the cree lights I have had.

Dave

scottaw

Enlightened
Ok, there's a new P2D every week with the absolute greatest new emitter, blah blah, buy a used "P2D CE" and you'll be VERY happy. They go for low 40's on BST and even though it's "only" 120 lumens on turbo, i hardly ever use turbo. The beam is fantastic, and the low is all the light you'll need 90% of the time. Oh yea, and using it on low 1 battery will last about 2 months.

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
You could snag one of the Q2 special edition P2Ds. It's a fantastic light, especially for the price. 4sevens still has some available.

Even though I'm a RB100 owner, I am still considering buying a Q2. $55 is a steal for this light. (It's $69 minus the awesome discount 4sevens is running right now.)

onthebeam

Enlightened
You may want to avoid the most recent Rebel models. Several have complained about the flash when switching modes. It's more pronounced with the Rebel version for some odd reason.

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
I would expect the Cree-based P2Ds would be typically cooler and more consistent in tint than the Rebel-based lights. The so-called "Luxeon lottery" is apparent in the Rebels, based on what I've read.

My Rebel P2D has a very slight rose tint. It's actually not noticeable unless compared to my Cree lights. The warmth is very, very nice.