Low Cost Host for 30mm Aspheric - Suggestions

tspoon

Newly Enlightened
I have two different aspheric lenses that I would like to house in a flashlight head and then modify further into a bike light. One type of lens is exactly 30.0 mm and the other is close to 32 mm. I have purchased a cheap host from DX I though would be ideal, only to find that the external measurements aren't all that helpful for trying to do this. Even though they are cheap, it could still get expensive and time consuming trying to find an ideal host for either of these lenses. So I though I'd ask here if anyone else has done this with the Surplus Shed 30mm aspheric lenses, or, does anybody know of a low cost host which would definitely work for this application from DX or elsewhere.
Thanx in advance.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used the 30mm lens in a Dorcy LuxI with 3xAAA batt.-carrier.
Swapping the LuxI to a Cree, added a heatsink and opened the head to fit the lens (with a Dremel):

ND.jpg

Distance to the caravan is 60m:

ND60m.jpg

Best regards

_____
Tom

tspoon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Long John. Is that lens the 30x15FL or 30x20FL. Also, what method did you use to retain the lens in place. Cheers again

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
tspoon, it's the 15FL and the fitting is very thight, to go sure I added a tiny bit cristal clear 2c-epoxy to fix the lens.

Best regards

____
Tom

jaybiz32

Enlightened
Would the 30mm aspheric ens fit in a liht such as thr surefire 6pf or other d26 size assemblys? Any idea which size would(assusming An led conversion of the light.) and where to get them?

Latest posts