Disappointed with my Lumapower M3 Transformer

CoolHands

Newly Enlightened
This is my first expensive torch since discovering this site. I received it today from batteryjunction (great service).

However, on playing with it tonight, one of the AA tubes has not been bored centrally :crazy: - it is off-centre if yo know what I mean.

Here:
m3c.jpg

Top view:

m3a.jpg

This means that when you screw the two together (in order to use two AA batteries), the lower one juts out, rather than being one smooth cylinder. Inthe next pic yo can see what I mean, half-way down the cylinder.

Is this normal? Are they all like this? What should I do - will lumapower send me anew one, or batteryjunction? :shrug:

m3b.jpg

Advice please,

disappointed
:huh:

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
I've heard of them being a little off, but I think that one deserves an exchange for sure. It's way out of spec and I'd hate for it to spoil your satisfaction with an otherwise great kit of components the MIII package usually contains.
Let us know the outcome.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Hmm, must be a more common issue than I thought. My fenix L1D also has noticeably off centre boring (as has been discussed in a CPF thread). Personally I don't notice it when the torch is assembled and working, but I can understand why it would irritate people, as it does seem like shoddy workmanship.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Generally, how is that kit compared to the Fenix-trio (P2D, L1D, L2D)? Are there any advantages to this kit that the Fenix doesn't have or... you know what I mean.

blacklisted

Newly Enlightened
My M3 had a similar problem, and more:

1) The 2AA extension bore is not concentric with that of the 1AA tube.

2) The CR123A battery tube wall thickness is not uniform.

3) The two-stage switch module stopped working after a few weeks due to a tiny spring inside the module that became unseated.

4) The female thread on the 'tactical' tailcap was very poorly cut and had a large amount of slop. This allowed for the light to be turned on by pressing on the tail cap instead of the button. It had to be loosened by an unacceptable amount to prevent this (likely enough to compromise the water resistance).

5) The tactical switch would not work properly in the 2AA configuration because there is not enough space above the battery. This problem has since been fixed by the manufacturer.

I'm sure that yours will be replaced, batteryjunction is a good dealer.

Dobbler

Enlightened
Generally, how is that kit compared to the Fenix-trio (P2D, L1D, L2D)? Are there any advantages to this kit that the Fenix doesn't have or... you know what I mean.

I own all those lights, and an M3 w/TurboForce head.

For the price of the M3 -- especially the current sale going on -- you get quite a lot of battery flexibility (1AA, 1AA-14500, 2AA, 1CR123A, 1RCR123A), a more durable (but heavier) light, and two beam options. The UI is simple (two-stage clicky or tactical+twist on) which I personally prefer. The smaller head has the best beam of any small light I own, and that includes the Rebel 100 version Fenix variants. With the TurboForce head and a 3.7v battery you essentially have a D-Mini.

The M3 is my most used light around the house. The low is not too bright for navigating around, and high is plenty bright for just about anything else.

Last edited:

boosterboy

Enlightened
I will vouch for blacklisted's statements.

His Lumapower M3's was a dissapointment when I inspected it.

My question is, How is it that the Lumapower LM301 (a light that Lumapower markets as an entry level product) is machined better than the M3.

Last edited:

Dobbler

Enlightened
I just inspected all my M3 "Lego" parts and all of them fit well, are uniformly bored, and the anodizing is near perfect. The very edges of the front of the smaller (standard) bezel show slight wear due to the unrounded edge. I also had issues with the tactical switch and 2AA configuration. I do not have the improved version of that switch. What I did instead was to convert the internals of a Fenix L1T forward clicky to fit into the M3 tail cap and it works perfectly! :)

Clearly your M3 isn't up to quality and I'm sure Matt will take care of you.

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Folks :)

Obviously there's a problem here and as you all know already we'll sort this out for CoolHands immediately.

I wanted to reply to make sure that you all know that the best thing to do, the first thing you should do if you have a ever problem with a product we've shipped to you, is email customer service via the website or your shipment confirmation email.

PM'ing me is not the most efficient way to get help and is invariably the slowest way to get a reply since the customer service inbox is being looked after by 2-3 people a day and my PM's are read only by me and usually only after I've finished my email.

Lastly, and while I'm on a roll, it's always best to include your order number in your email. The best way to locate an order for us is via order number or email address (must be the one you put into our cart when ordering).

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a M3 and think it is a great light. I am sure Batteryjunction will take care of you. That is part of the reason I keep ordering from them. Also, please keep in mind that (while it totally sucks) any mass produced prodect will always have one in its batch that is somewhat out of spec. The nice thing about the M3 is that if you have a problem with one piece...you are not with out a light. Having 2 switches and 3 battery tubes is pretty nice. I am sure many SF U2 owners wish SF included an extra tailcap, and that light cost about $300.00. Regardlass I have no doubt that MattK and batteryjunction will make it right.

boosterboy

Enlightened
blacklisted's M3 was ordered via Amondotech, not batteryjunction.

I'm not blaming you Matt, I was just under the impression that the M3 was not as refined as the M1.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the words of support Woodorw. :)

boosterboy - I think the issue has been that that the M3 is a lot more complex than the M1. The issues described above are not endemic to all M3's obviously, nor even a significant percentage or we wouldn't even both selling them.

Remember the M3 has a multitude of parts that have to play nice together where the M1 has like 1/3 the components. Now that's no excuse for a QC failure - a part that obviously off should never had made it past QC never mind shipped to us and subsequently to our customer.

Fortunately for CoolHands he'll get help and quickly. For those who have purchase elsewhere and need service I would suggest contacting LP directly - Ricky & his team clearly want happy customers and if your dealer hasn't satisfied you then by all means contact the manufacturer!

CoolHands

Newly Enlightened
Just to conclude this for future searches, (bit late I know :p ) batteryjunction sent me a new battery tube very quickly.