Can the clips on Surefires be removed?

jmoney16

Newly Enlightened
Can the clips on Surefire lights be removed or are they built in/permanently attached?

Grubbster

Enlightened
They can be removed. What model are you inquiring about?
If you are asking about the clips like on an E1, you have to remove the head and just pull forward.

Well-Lit

Newly Enlightened
You probably already know this, but just in case, don't forget to remove the o-ring first. Using a toothpick or something similar works relatively well. The clip is going to take some work, they are generally on pretty tight. Also....there is a small plastic spacer behind the clip which tends to " take off " when you remove the clip. Ask me how I know.:caution: Anyway, hope this helps a little.

Best regards:
Bob

greenLED

Flashaholic
The easiest way to pull a clip out of a SF body (after unscrewing the head, removing the o-ring, etc.) is to loop a piece of cord (paracord, shoelace, etc.) under the clip and use that to pull the clip out.

Careful with that little plastic spacer. They tend to fly off into the carpet's black hole. :green:

Removing the A2 and K2 clips is a bit different and entails removing the plastic ring that keeps them in place. I've never done that particular removal myself, so I'll let others comment on that one.

Numbers

Enlightened
Green Led
I asked this same question years ago when I joined and you answered with the same parcord solution. Worked perfectly then.
jmoney16
Note the direction of the spacer though, after mine flew into the black hole I was able to figure the up side from the down side by the little nub on the spacer.

Size15's

Flashaholic
They can be removed. What model are you inquiring about?
If you are asking about the clips like on an E1, you have to remove the head and just pull forward.
Note that the E1 [& E2] (original, discontinued, replaced by the E1e) pocketclip can not be practically removed in some cases.

However, as mentioned SureFire's current clip designs allow the clip to be removed.
This is a quick list of the SureFires (past & current) featuring removable pocketclips:
E1e/E1L (etc)
E2e/E2o/E2d/E2L (etc)
M2/L5
C2/C3
D2/D3
U2/K2

Al

Dawg

Enlightened
Well, like the genieass that I am, I wanted to remove the clip on my E2e to be able to squeeze it shut a tad so the clip would be a little tighter. So, I proceeded to follow the sage advice here with an eye towards containing the little plastic thingy. I figured if I kept my thumb in front of the plastic thing that I may be able to prevent its flight unto the netherlands. Boy.....when the clip popped out, the little plastic thingy went into my thumb. I did not lose the plastic thingy and the blood should be replaced by my body by afternoon. A good ole Bandaid will cover the flap till it heals. Clip is nice and tight now too.:faint: