Fenix P2D-REB100 operational question

Flashlike

Enlightened
I just received a new Fenix P2D-RB100 flashlight, and (blush, blush...) I can't figure out how to change between the two "modes"?
According to the instructions (https://www.fenix-store.com/product...d=344&osCsid=470eef1ef706e2dc50902e6eeba41d2f) the mode selection is made by "turning the bezel".
Is the bezel assembly supposed to move between the two sections--the smooth section about 1" long and the other knurled and smooth section about 1/2" long?
So far I have only been able to get two different types of lighting (there are supposed to be 6 types available).
The two types I am getting are a fairly bright constant on and an S.O.S. I can only get these two modes by pushing the tailcap switch within two seconds.
The complete head assembly (approximate total length of about 1-5/8") threads onto the battery tube just fine. In the pictorial diagram shown on the instruction sheet it shows the battery tube and tailcap as two separate pieces, but try as I might I can't get them to come apart.
The head assembly on my P2D-REB100 has the following stamped on it:
"P2D Premium 100" and "US122839".

kurni

Enlightened
Hi Flashlike,

I too had similar problem when I first received my P2D RB100; I'm guessing that you're in turbo mode at the moment as you mentioned that you only had a bright and a blinking mode.

Although my P2D RB100 came with good lubrication, I find that it was very tight to twist; furthermore, I was not accustomed to the extremely-short body. There are 2 places you can twist, the head and the tail, which immediately border the hexagonal body. The gap immediately under "P2D Premium 100" and "US122839" is not twist able.

Have fun with your new P2D RB100, I am very happy with mine.

Flashlike

Enlightened
Thanks Justin504 and Kurni for your posts. I think I've figured out the problem. I was using a (fully charged) UltraFire 3.6V 880mAh protected rechargeable battery.
(http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2872)
In comparison to a regular (non-rechargeable) CR123a battery, these are about 1/16" greater in length and they are rated 3.6V in comparison to 3V for a standard CR123a battery.
When I put a regular (Surefire brand) CR123a cell in the flashlight it switched modes perfectly and I was able to get all 6 types of lighting. I did give the threads a small amount of lube and it made it much easier to turn the bezel 1/4 turn.
What I don't understand is why I can only get the two types of lighting ("high" and "S.O.S.") while using the RCR123a battery. I have two of the new UltraFire batteries and tried them both with the same results. Sort of disappointing because I actually purchased the batteries to use specifically with this flashlight.
Here is what is baffling me. When I ordered the flashlight (from fenix-store.com) I'm sure that the product information said "Turbo mode available only with RCR123a battery". But I just went to their website and that has been taken off.
Humm...I guess I shouldn't be (and won't be!) using the RCR123a batteries in this flashlight.

kurni

Enlightened
Look around the forum, you'll find a lot of discussion about this. P2D RB100 aren't meant to handle the high voltage of Li Ion. AW has a new battery chemistry that give you around 3.2v, you can have most mode except the lowest one.

Flashlike

Enlightened
Nake--I think you are right, that is probably what I read (only Turbo mode available with RCR123a).
It sure seems strange that they removed that statement, though. Maybe to discourage the use of RCR123a batteries?

Kurni--Yes, I'll do some more searching on CPF for info. Thanks for the suggestion. It sounds like quite a few are successfully using the Tenergy 3.0V rechargeable lithium-ion batteries (http://www.batteryjunction.com/rc390reliba.html) in the Fenix PxD flashlights.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Justin504 and Kurni for your posts. I think I've figured out the problem. I was using a (fully charged) UltraFire 3.6V 880mAh protected rechargeable battery.
(http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2872)
In comparison to a regular (non-rechargeable) CR123a battery, these are about 1/16" greater in length and they are rated 3.6V in comparison to 3V for a standard CR123a battery.
When I put a regular (Surefire brand) CR123a cell in the flashlight it switched modes perfectly and I was able to get all 6 types of lighting. I did give the threads a small amount of lube and it made it much easier to turn the bezel 1/4 turn.
What I don't understand is why I can only get the two types of lighting ("high" and "S.O.S.") while using the RCR123a battery. I have two of the new UltraFire batteries and tried them both with the same results. Sort of disappointing because I actually purchased the batteries to use specifically with this flashlight.
Here is what is baffling me. When I ordered the flashlight (from fenix-store.com) I'm sure that the product information said "Turbo mode available only with RCR123a battery". But I just went to their website and that has been taken off.
Humm...I guess I shouldn't be (and won't be!) using the RCR123a batteries in this flashlight.
You are having 2 separate problems. First off with a 3.6 or 3.7v(4.2v fully charged) RCR123 you will only get turbo, sos, and strobe. The second is the Ultafire RCR123 is to long so you can't screw the head down far enough to get in turbo mode. You were in normal mode, 3 clicks with the same brightness(turbo) then sos. I have the light and the batteries.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I use Soshine 3.0v 650mah in mine. You lose low in the beginning of the battery run, but they work good. Another option(probably better) would be to use an AWLiFePO4 500mah 3v: http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2583. There are two ways to lower the voltage, the Soshine uses a diode(s) to drop the voltage. The LiFePO4 use a different(safer) chemistry to achieve a lower voltage.

Last edited:

cmichael

Newly Enlightened
I just got my Friend the P2D-REB100, when I turn it on have a quick flash then a low mode come on, its that nomal? and also the the P2D-REB100 have more warmer beam than my P3D-REB100, Its that nomal too?

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my Friend the P2D-REB100, when I turn it on have a quick flash then a low mode come on, its that nomal? and also the the P2D-REB100 have more warmer beam than my P3D-REB100, Its that nomal too?

I think all the P2D's do that. Mine does, and I've heard lots of other people say that.

Flashlike

Enlightened
cmichael--Yes, my new P2D-REB100 has a very brief flash when turning on in "standard" mode (low-med-high-SOS). The flash is so instantaneous that it is hardly noticeable--at least in my opinion.
Now that I've figured out the switching (which really is quite simple), this flashlight is my new favorite. It has great output--especially considering its diminutive size. The lighting modes are nice and easily selectable, and it has a decent color tint.
Some have reported a "flashing" when switching between the lighting types, but I don't seem to have that with mine.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any thoughts on how the P2D beam quality compares with HDS or NovaTac?