Has Fenix's Hard Ano gotten any better?

havand

Enlightened
I bought my Lop-se a while ago and I have to say I was not satisfied in the slightest with the coating. Has their Hard Ano become...Actually as advertised? Are their blacks still that shiny wet look compared to that wonderful flat black they used to have? I just ask because i'm looking at a P2D, but i'm not dropping $60 on a Fenix unless the coating has improved drastically.

kurni

Enlightened
I have EDCed Fenix E1 and L1D; I haven't seen any improvement. I'm guessing that the problem is not the HAIII, but the aluminum that is used to make the body; it's a rather weak aluminum. Note the broken aluminum near the keyring, it can't be HAIII problem.

E1_3.jpg

havand

Enlightened
I have EDCed Fenix E1 and L1D; I haven't seen any improvement. I'm guessing that the problem is not the HAIII, but the aluminum that is used to make the body; it's a rather weak aluminum. Note the broken aluminum near the keyring, it can't be HAIII problem.

Sadly, mine looks VERY similar to this. I dropped just the head once on a sidewalk and it scarred and bent every so slightly. I was surprised to say the least.

So, i guess I won't be buying a P2D. A shame, I really liked the look and features.

Last edited:

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
You could always get the natural, which shows less wear.

Or you could spend three times as much on a Surefire and not have to worry about the finish. We are talking about a budget light here... for the $60 I am very pleased.

Last edited:

kurni

Enlightened
I agree with WallaceD, the wear & tear does not deter me from getting another Fenix because LED technology is growing rather rapidly. I prefer keeping up to date rather than sinking all my budget on Novatac or Surefire.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L0D CE is a few months old, but looks like it's had years of wear already...

That said, I'd buy it again without question. It's got a 10440 in it...'nuff said :devil:

Hopefully the lithium won't explode in my pants, lol.

scottaw

Enlightened
I've had a P2d since the very first cree ones came out, i've carried it every day in my pocket with my keys, dropped it a few times, used it in hard rain, etc. It does have 2 tiny nicks on it, and a tiny bit of ano wear on the corners, but it looks pretty much new til you look really close (damn you for just making me look and see the wear.) but either way, i've tried out 3 other lights for my EDC (yes, 2 surefires) and i've always gone back to the P2D b/c it really is THAT useful.

havand

Enlightened
You're all right and make a point. I don't expect it to be bulletproof. However, I DO expect it to be as advertised. If they advertise hard anodizing, I expect it to hold up like it was hard anodized. Whether or not the aluminum is softer than most, i'm not sure. But either way, the result is the same, the perception that i'm not getting what they claim to be offering.

That said, you're all right. It is a (relatively) cheap light with good value. Just dissapointing. It's one of those situations where i'd pay the extra $5 to get it as advertised rather than have corners cut on me.

LightScene

Enlightened
I had a P1D-CE natural, and it was certainly hard anodized. It didn't show any signs of wear from being carried in my pocket with keys, etc. So I would recommend to get the natural finish.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure they might cut corners on the L0D, but the P2D I doubt it highly. I own both and although my L0D is scratched to hell, well, it's not my EDC either so I don't really worry about it. The P2D is the best light out there for the money - and there shouldn't be an argument or second-guess about considering the warranty, quality, and value you do get in the long-run.

If you want to complain about them saving five bucks by cutting a corner, well... more Fenix lights for the rest of us. Go waste your money on a Surefire ;-)

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
My natural ones still look great, the black ones show wear...

David: I want L1Ts with a R100 in HANat ;)

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys think the P2D rebel is here to say or that it really is a 'limited' edition.

LOL. Hard to say. I wouldn't worry though, I'd settle for a Q5 or a Rebel 120 if necessary.