Surefire rechargeable as a go-to EDC light

Penryn Ron

Newly Enlightened
Surefire always recommends primaries in any tactical light, claiming that rechargeable batteries can self-drain over time. While I agree with that statement in theory, I think Surefire is trying to sell batteries. Case in point: I have a Dominator 10X that sits on a shelf (not in the charger) for occasional use. No matter how long is waits for me, when I need this light the thing works beautifully at full power. I have never had it self-drain.

Do any of you guys have similar experiences with Surefire rechargeables? I guess it is a credit to the build quality that the warning is not really necessary. However, just to make sure, I carry an L5, Gladius or A2 as a backup.

Any thoughts?

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Instead of getting Surefire's Ni-cad rechargeables, why not use protected lithium ion rechargeables. They have a much better self discharge rate and are lighter too. They also fit into existing surefire lights (e.g. G2, 6P, E2 series).

Asssuming you choose lithium ion batteries, you have two options:
1. INCAN: I would recommend Lumens Factory lamp assemblies which you just 'drop in' an existing surefire light
2. LED: There are very good "drop-in" LED alternatives especially for the P60 (g2, 6p) format.

I would advise you to only use "protected" lithium ion batteries. Lithium ion batteries are dangerous and can explode or combust. The protection circuit available in some "protected" batteries is designed to prevent this from happening. AW, a member on the forums here, sells excellent cells and I would not use anything else in my lights.

I hope that is enough information to get you started!

Last edited:

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire uses Nickel-Cadmium (Ni-Cad) rechargeable batteries in their lights. As I understand it, Ni-Cads have a very slow discharge rate, so I am thinking that is why your 10X or other Sureffire rechargeables stay ready to use for a while. My mag-charger with stock ni-cad battery pack stays ready just sitting around for a long time, as long as a year or more before it needs a charge.

iced_theater

Enlightened
I have a 10X, but the longest it ever sits is usually while I'm not at work. But there were some days during the summer when I wouldn't use the light for a couple of weeks since it didn't get dark enough for use before I got off of work.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The 10X's I have also seem to hold charge longer than I would expect...

A note on the rational behind not use rechargeables for Tactical Lights:

1) Before SureFire took it upon themselves to purchase millions of American-made batteries and have them SureFire labelled, and offer them at cost to the end-user [NB: the reason why SureFire had to increase the price they were charging was because transportation and packaging costs increased]
Before SureFire were the first company to offer high quality CR123A batteries at low cost, one had to purchase the batteries from the likes of Duracell or Energiser at prices they still charge (and worse) in retail stores.
Once other brands got in on the game and started offering non-American made batteries - the market was flooded by cheap (and dangerous in numerous cases) Chinese-made CR123A batteries.

2) Before LED lights it was normal that a flashlight could not be powered by either primary or rechargeable batteries. Also, the NiCad and NiMH batteries were not as high quality.
Now in the world of LED flashlights that can accept a variety of power sources, and the high capacity, high current draw capable LiIon rechargeable batteries the situation is somewhat different.

3) In the world where SureFire's primary markets operate it is not often feasible or practicable for users to be slaved to a battery charger. Relying on rechargeable batteries rather than primary SF123A batteries can result in your lights being dead when you need them.

I honestly believe SureFire are not in business to sell batteries, or to make money from their SF123A batteries. The attitude of SureFire employees I know is that SureFire offer their SF123A batteries is a service to their users so that the users can get the best from the products they have invested in and rely on.

If one uses a flashlight a lot, and has reliable access to a battery charger or other suitable arrangement then I see no reason why rechargeable batteries should not be used where it is safe to do so.

However, for "tactical" use I believe one should use dedicated lights designed and intended for the specific 'tactical application' being performed. This situation is not, in my opinion a suitable time to cut corners to save a couple bucks. BTW, I've been of the same opinion even when the £ wasn't nearly as strong against the $.