Surefire L5 vs L1

INFI

Newly Enlightened
I just went outside with my L5 and my CREE L1. I wanted to see the difference in throw and output. Both had fresh batteries in them. The L5 was first and then I used the L1. The TIR optic is nice, it easily out threw the L5. The overall output difference was minimal. (although the sidespill was more with the L5.) The color rendition of the L1 was way better than the L5. I may end up selling the L5 just because the L1 has better throw, is much smaller, has better color rendition, two output levels, and the output of the L5 is not really that much higher if any than the L1.
My .02

Dinan

Newly Enlightened
I was comparing my L4 with my L1 last night and as expected the L1 totally blew away the L4 in throw, but the L4 had way more sidespill. Confirming these, I then tried to compare the total output of the two by ceiling bounce tests and close up shots, etc. Surprisingly the L1 puts out almost as much total light as the L4, but in a much more confined beam. Personally I prefer the L1 since it's only 1 cell, has two levels, way whiter tint, and I like the optic instead of reflector. It was even out-throwing my 6PL noticeably, but had less sidespill. L1 using a rechargeable is even brighter =)

Last edited:

PetesTactical

Newly Enlightened
When I got my L1 I sold my L2. Now if they would make a L2 with the same cree / optic as the L1 :huh:

Beamshot

Newly Enlightened
Hey how exactly does the tailcap work? I know that you press it a little for low and more for high. How do you switch from low to high in constant on mode?

INFI

Newly Enlightened
So you're telling me you can't tell the difference between 65 and 100 lumens?

Yes, I can tell the difference between 65 and 100 lumens. However as pointed out above they are not much different in output. The quality of the L1's beam is superior to the L5 in my opinion. And the color makes my L5 look bad when you compare the two.

Beamshot:
The tailcap operates like this: Push the cap a little for the 10 lumens. Push the tailcap harder for the 80+ Lumens. Twist the tailcap a little for 10 lumens. Twist it another half a turn and you get the 80+ lumens. And you can lock it out by twisting it counter-clockwise.

Last edited:

INFI

Newly Enlightened
I also got simular results on the ceiling bounce tests. I love my L1:grin2: Plus it has no donut hole like my L5. I just found my perfect EDC and backpacking light. When I need more than the L1 can deliver, I will take both the L1 and M6. I really haven't needed more than 500 lumens before. The M6 gets the job done for me.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Surprisingly the L1 puts out almost as much total light as the L4, but in a much more confined beam.

Dinan, I helped VWTim build a SSC mod out of a KL1, and my assessment is similar to yours. It's amazing what those new emitters can do. Personally, I like more "focused" beams than "all flood, so I rate the L1's beam higher than the L4. Plus, you get 2 stages, so for me it's the L1.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
INFI, look up Milkyspit's profile and click on his threads and see what we are talking about. To find his profile you can go to Search and type in his user name and click on threads. Good exercise for you,and you will find answers so you don't have to start threads, or make posts to find out answers from other CPF'ers. I am not saying that one should not start threads or make posts with questions, but there is info to be found on CPF if you look for it. You can also use Google-CPF only at the top of each CPF page.

Bill

INFI

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info, I know I should have "searched" it first, but like all of us I got busy and thought maybe it was something simple, anyway I have the time now and will search it. thanks.

INFI

Newly Enlightened
I did some reading and still have some to do. Right now I am happy with my stock L1, but if I get an itch, I could go for a higher output LED.Thanks!

Qoose

Enlightened
Arg! Why must you all drive me crazy.

My L1 is scheduled for delivery tommorow. The waiting time is one of the worst things about new toys. Expect many beamshots and pictures.

Dinan

Newly Enlightened
Arg! Why must you all drive me crazy.

My L1 is scheduled for delivery tommorow. The waiting time is one of the worst things about new toys. Expect many beamshots and pictures.
I loved my L1 when I first got it. Then I took the risk of sticking an AW RCR123 in it and damn it's hella bright now! I dunno if it's killing the LED or not but the output is awesome.

Size15's

Flashaholic
When I got my L1 I sold my L2. Now if they would make a L2 with the same cree / optic as the L1 :huh:
When I first got a new L1 I forced myself to carry it EDC to see whether it could replace my L2. I found myself having to force myself not to go back to the L2. No doubting the L1's credentials - it's just not the sort of beam I prefer for EDC.

I tried hard to EDC the new L1 for a whole month but only managed two weeks before I reverted back to the L2.

If the L2's body was shrunk to the length of the A2, and a new LED was used in a reflector making use of the A2's larger diameter bezel (without the 3-LEDs) I think such a flashlight would be able to replace my L2. I want higher output, and a 'far more intense' central beam, with just as broad beam. Similar runtimes I can happily live with...

Al

P.S.
I also want the LED "white" light to feature more wavelengths in the orange/red regions to make the light better for use outdoors (for mine eyes)...
But one can't have everything one wants. :sigh:

sbebenelli

Enlightened
When I first got a new L1 I forced myself to carry it EDC to see whether it could replace my L2. I found myself having to force myself not to go back to the L2. No doubting the L1's credentials - it's just not the sort of beam I prefer for EDC.

I tried hard to EDC the new L1 for a whole month but only managed two weeks before I reverted back to the L2.

If the L2's body was shrunk to the length of the A2, and a new LED was used in a reflector making use of the A2's larger diameter bezel (without the 3-LEDs) I think such a flashlight would be able to replace my L2. I want higher output, and a 'far more intense' central beam, with just as broad beam. Similar runtimes I can happily live with...

Al

P.S.
I also want the LED "white" light to feature more wavelengths in the orange/red regions to make the light better for use outdoors (for mine eyes)...
But one can't have everything one wants. :sigh:

Al, I'm just curious how you carry your L2? Did you carry the L1 the same way?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Al, I'm just curious how you carry your L2? Did you carry the L1 the same way?
Both pocketclipped inside my 5.11's pocket. Back pocket where it meets the front pocket at the side.
Carry isn't an issue as long as it has a clip like the L2 or U2/K2.
Drawbacks: The short clip of the L1 is a bit too strong and short, and the long clip of the L2 gets a bit too loose sometimes and requires re-tensioning.
I like the U2/K2/EW-04 type clip better for both retention and easy of deployment and stowage.

Al