Streamlight 3aa task light

cgk

Newly Enlightened
Hi all I am new here and am looking to get into modding lights, or should I say upgrading seeing that I am all thumbs and can not see myself doing what some of you are able to do.

That said, I have a Streamlight 1watt 3aa task light. It was good for a while until all these super bright led's have come out. Any ideas how I can super-charge this flashlight? I will gladly sacrifice runtime for brightness. Remember I have no problem admitting I am not very handy so please keep it simple. Thanks to all.

bluecrow76

Enlightened
You mentioned all the LEDs burned out which means you have a Twin-Task. The Task-Light has a single Luxeon 1W. I recently modded my Task-Light, adding a driver and replacing the Luxeon with a Cree Q5. You can find the post about it here, if you haven't already.

Replacing the LEDs in a Twin-Task should be a simple desolder/replace job. If you haven't taked it apart yet, it just takes some pulling (it'll feel like you're about to break it) on the light module and it'll just pop out. I updated my Twin-Task 3AA to be LED only here, and hopefully will be adding a driver to it to regulate the current.

If you want to update the Twin-Task 3AA to a high output LED, look at the pictures the Cree Q5 mod to get an idea of what the setup looks like. The head of the Twin-Task 3AA is shorter than the Task-Light 3AA.

Good luck! It gets addicting!

Yenster

Newly Enlightened
cgk, which model light do you have? And are talking about upgrading to a different light or are you talking about modifying your tasklight?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Have you opened it up yet?

If yes, could you grab a picture.

The Seoul P4 and Edison Opto(Cheaper but leaves a yellow ring around the hotspot) are good upgrades from the Luxeon.

bluecrow76

Enlightened
cgk,

I just re-read your original post and realized I thought you were saying something completely different. I need to start reading posts 4-5 times before I ever attempt replying! :oops:

Anyway, if you want to mod your Task-Light, I hope my pictures help! :)

Yenster

Newly Enlightened
The Seoul P4 and Edison Opto(Cheaper but leaves a yellow ring around the hotspot) are good upgrades from the Luxeon.

I agree, that Edison Opto has a very noticable yellow ring around the hotspot which I hate. I've got a light that's very bright, but when I show it off, the first comment is always "What's that yellow light?". Go with the Seoul P4...preferably the U-bin...which has output like the Cree Q5.

Last edited: