Looking for edc

cgk

Newly Enlightened
Newbie here. I am looking for an inexpensive flashlight and need your expert opinion. What I am looking for is an LED light with ballpark 100 lumens. It needs a pocket clip and a tail switch. It does not need a multi-function but a strobe would be nice. Now for a curve ball, I would like it to be around a 2aa or 2 123's. Reason is I would like the option of using it as a self defense striking instrument. So it needs to be thin yet long enough to extend beyond my grip. I look foreword to you suggestions, thanks.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
What exactly do you mean by "inexpensive?"

The Surefire L5 meets most of your needs.... but I doubt that $189 would be anyone's definition of inexpensive. If it weren't for the pocket clip, there would be a few good choices.

djblank87

Enlightened
Fenix L2D Rebel fits you needs except for the pocket clip,
175 Lumens on turbo
Strobe
Tailcap Switch
Lumens level can be choosen by user so you have a lot of choices. It just does not have that pocket clip :mecry:.

All for around $65 shipped from numerous companys/stores.

Good Luck.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
With Regards to both DX and Fenix lights that were mentioned above: If brightness at a low price is most important to you, then they are good choices.

However, some CPFers have had problems with DX in general. (Check out the Jeers sub-forum on this site for details).

Fenix lights have a better reputation than DX lights, as far as quality is concerned. But you can forget about using either line of lights as a self-defense striking tool. THAT level of durability just isn't there.

But yeah, your choices would open up if that carry-clip wasn't a requirement. I can count the number of companies on 1 hand that make good, pocket-carry clipped lights..... and still have a couple of fingers left over. Aside from Surefire and PentagonLights, check out Cabela's website. They have a few clip-carry lights under their name. I have an 80 lumen, dual-stage light of theirs. The clip is far from great. But serviceable..... Just don't try to remove it. (I also have a 1watt model where the clip was horrible! Had to pry it out of the body of the light).

Try Nuwai. They make several lights with carry-clips. Some that screw into the barrel of the light, like on the Cabela's models mentioned above. And some with wrap-around clips. Those clips are very well-made! Not as well-made or sturdy as the ones found on Surefire lights, but they are indeed capable of getting the job done. Nuwai also makes lights for other companies.....

Actually, check out Nuwai before checking out Cabela's line of lights. Surefires tend not to be inexpensive, and PentagonLights is known to be a bit generous with their lumens ratings for their LED models. (The ratings for their inca models tends to be spot-on though).

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix lights have a better reputation than DX lights, as far as quality is concerned. But you can forget about using either line of lights as a self-defense striking tool. THAT level of durability just isn't there.

I don't know. If an appropriate situation arose, I think my L2D100 would fit perfectly in someone's eye socket. Would it work afterwards ? Frankly I doubt I'd care as I might just leave it buried somewhere where the sun don't shine, although I do hope the strobe would still work in that application. :goodjob:

But SERIOUSLY folks..., IMHO, the aluminum body would work fine as a striking tool. It sticks out about an inch on both sides of my fist. That silly lanyard groove is annoyingly sharp on my tailswitch too. Plus if it gets flakey afterwards, they're not that expensive.
Oh.. hell of a light, too.

Last edited:

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix come with a belt carry pouch... And I think they could be used as a kubotan (sp?) with out damage. The switch and the front glass would be the weakest points.

As for the deal Extreme lights you mention, well that is what was talked about when "DX" was mentioned. I have not bought any, but it seems like many work good, but some are shipped with problems. So it is a risk as shipping cost may not be worth a return. But if it isn't working you might be able to fix it with some sanding and lubing, etc.

BTW some single AA lights protrude enough to hit pressure points...

cgk

Newly Enlightened
Going to try this one for a start. C-8 3W Cree LED Flashlight (2xAA)
I have a sinking feeling this flashlight thing may not end with this purchase....why is this stuff addicting?