stuck between tiablos and MRV.....

Saiga

Enlightened
i'm looking for a serious thrower, solid quality for as reasonable price as i can get away with. the tiablo A8 has my eye lately at $95, and i'm wondering if i'll later be wishing i'd have spent the $35 extra on the upgraded A8 or the A9. keep in mind i'm new to this high-end light stuff, so $100 on a friggin' flashlight is something i'm still struggling to justify !!!
also, the MVR is going for $78 at DX, but it seems i've read about a few quality control problems with lumapower. any help appreciated....

clintb

Enlightened
As you've noticed, there are a few choices when it comes to the throwers.

Tiablo:
A8 (CREE Q2)
A8 Q5 (CREE Q5)
A9 (has Q5 by default)

LumaPower:
MRV (CREE Q2)
MRV SE (CREE Q5)
MRV (from DX, CREE Q2)

A point to note about the MRV from DX. It is unsupported by LumaPower, thus carries no guarantee from LP. There's a whole sticky story behind that one and is discussed on this forum somewhere.

Recent tests show the Tiablo's out-throwing the MRV SE. I bought the MRV SE because of the design and upgradeable nature I've read about.

I would go with any of the Tiablo's, but stick with an authorized dealer for the MRV. I know others have purchased the DX MRV, but I haven't and probably wouldn't, if just for the warranty issue.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Tiablo A9 and currently am using the OP reflector with it. I got both but prefer to have a better beam. It still has great throw! I also have the original version of the MRV. It throws like a mini spotlight with the smooth refector installed. I do not have the OP for it. I never tried the A9 with the smooth reflector and it should out throw the MRV, but I do not know how much of a difference you would actually see. The A9 is a bit brighter, but the MRV (Original version) would be better compared to the A8. Both are made very well but I like the Tiablo better. The MRV is a bit heavier. You get a little more for your money with the Tiablo. Lumapower does not give you anything with their lights except the light!:shakehead.

Mike

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the A8 Q5 and the MRV SE, and I can say the A8 slightly out throws the MRV, which is noticable by eye.

Also, I personally like the Tiablo's design better. It may be lighter, but the Tiablo has better grade Aluminum.

Check out the "Got Throw?" link in my sig line for beamshot comparisons.

da.gee

Enlightened
Dereelight DBS? My CL1H throws pretty well with both smooth and OP relflector. DBS looks very promising and with upgradeability.

Saiga

Enlightened
many thanks, everyone, several useful points made. i'm definately leaning even more towards the tiablo now. still,not sure if i should bite the bullet and get the A9, or will i be happy enough with the lesss expensive A8 using 123's.

daveman

Enlightened
Between Tiablo and MRV, I would DEFINITELY go with the Tiablo for its higher quality aluminum and better (throws farther) reflector. It's also looks better in my opinion, no annoying bling bling, just tactical HA.

Anyone know how Tiablo's A6 is coming along? It looks like a 2-cell light that's going to compete with the flood lights, it's more compact with a smaller head than the A9.

nutz_about_lights

Enlightened
many thanks, everyone, several useful points made. i'm definately leaning even more towards the tiablo now. still,not sure if i should bite the bullet and get the A9, or will i be happy enough with the lesss expensive A8 using 123's.

Get the A9! :grin2: Buying flashlights is something that you don't do every week (at least for me ;)) so you might wanna spend a bit more to get something that you are certain is best, rather than buy something inferior and regret the buy later.

Saiga

Enlightened
i generally agree, but with new technology developing so quickly,what's "the latest/best" now, isn't in a couple months. i was just reading old threads about " the new tiablo A8" and it was only a couple months old, now there's the A8 with Q5 upgrade and then the A9,and you just mentioned another model just around the corner.also, lots of folks are getting excited about a new dereelight that's supposed to be a big thrower,but three months later, it'll be old news.....

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
What's with the Tiablo run it on low for 3 min at first thing? I wanted one till i read that, now I think the limitation would be annoying. So I've been thinking MRV SE with Q5. Since some owners are on this thread do you have any idea why the light has that rule, and what happens if you don't follow it? I also want throw!

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's with the Tiablo run it on low for 3 min at first thing? I wanted one till i read that, now I think the limitation would be annoying. So I've been thinking MRV SE with Q5. Since some owners are on this thread do you have any idea why the light has that rule, and what happens if you don't follow it? I also want throw!

That applied to the A8 using CR123's, because the voltage was too high on fresh batteries. Running on low for a bit allowed the battery voltage to drop. It's not a problem with the A9's.

If you want throw, get the Tiablo. If you're going to use one 18650 to run the light, and you want flat output for 90 mins, get the A8 Q5. If you're going to use CRC123A's or RCR123's, OR if you're going to use one 18650, and want a steady declining output for 3 hours get the A9.

Again, check out my SIG link for comparisons beamshots.

Last edited:

Dobbler

Enlightened
IMO, the only reason to get the A8 over the A9 is for the flat regulation on 18650, but you will not get any warning before it goes dark.

I opted for the A9.

I also have an MRV and the A9 Q5 kills the MRV. Still like my MRV though :)

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, the only reason to get the A8 over the A9 is for the flat regulation on 18650, but you will not get any warning before it goes dark.

I opted for the A9.

I also have an MRV and the A9 Q5 kills the MRV. Still like my MRV though :)

Why would you need warning? I can't see anyone carrying only the Tiablo as an EDC. It is to be used as a pocket spotter in addition to an EDC.

Saiga

Enlightened
the gas-guage analogy isn't logical. as pointed out above, this ain't a EDC. for lots of folks, this would be a "check the yard to see why the dogs are barking" kinda thing,where new batteries would be seconds away, and again,as stated above,another light would (should) be present.