SF, which to choose? L1, L2 or L4?

Pinkerton

Newly Enlightened
This is an old/newbie question, and I've used "search" about three days now.. too much info in fact. :)

Okay, here's the deal;
At work I use company provided Magcharger, but I always have a backup light, if I for example do not take magcharger with me, when going in to a building. Now, I have used all kinds of backups , AA minimag, Walther "tactical"(crap), Ledlenser David (charge), etc etc.. At the moment I'm carrying a Fenix L2D, and Fenix P3D premium is soon to arrive. It will be my EDC-off duty light.
Still, I want a long lasting and DURABLE (can take a beating) backup-light, so I'm kinda leaning towards Surefire. My work-partner for example has SF Z2 combat with him, and I like it. BUT I don't want that, I want a LED version.
Comparing just Lumens is not enough, I know that L1 gets a beating compared to L2 and L4 in that sence, but.... thats not the only thing that matters.
so, reviews, comparisons, etc about those three would be appreciated.
Let's put it this way, would I manage with "just" L1 as a backup?
I like tha fact that L2 and L4 give out 100 lumens, but L2 is kinda long, and from what I've read, L1 almost kicks L4:s ***, even if it's just 65 Lumens??

Usage would be mainly indoors, checking rooms etc. Maybe sometimes even off-duty, taking the trash, walking the dog etc etc.

So, waiting for an advice, thanks to ya all,

-P

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Pinkerton, and welcome to CPF,
I like all the Surefire lights you've listed, however..... the L1, with it's TIR optic lens tends to cast a rather tight beam of light, while both the L2 and the L4 are more floody and probably more suitable for checking rooms, walking the dog, etc. However, depending on your budget you could opt for a modified L1 from CPF member Milkyspit. Here is a link to a CPF thread that describes some of what he offers:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2068490&postcount=183

Basically, he can tailor the lights beam to be pretty much anything you would like it to be, from super flood, to super tight throw, and anywhere inbetween. Pretty neat.

Of course the other main difference between the L1, L2, and the L4 is that the L1, and L2 both provide a high and low levels, which greatly enhances their usefulness in my book.

If you are willing to consider something besides Surefire, I would recommend that you check out these 2 lights:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=169692

http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-99-103-113-6314

Both of these lights are very rugged, with multiple levels of output, and also offer the advantage of being able to use rechargeable batteries as well as primary (non-rechargeable) batteries. Another plus as far as I'm concerned.

And if that isn't enough, here are a few flashlight review sites to get you started along the path to finding the right light:

http://www.lightreviews.info/

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/features/buyers_guide.htm

http://www.cpfreviews.com/

http://flashlightnews.org/

Happy Hunting!

Edit: Lol, I almost forgot, be sure and check out this little beauty, my current EDC (every day carry). It's small, about the size of the L1, offers 4 programmable levels of brightness going from very bright to very dim in 22 steps, and offers many programmable options.... including a tactical disorienting strobe available on demand. A very neat little jewel and something you should definitely check out:

http://www.novatac.com/

I've got the 120P, but depending on your budget, the 85P is almost as bright (85 lumens), but still has all of the programmable features and options, but for $40 less than the 120P.

Last edited:

SCblur

Enlightened
My advice, having owned all of those lights at different points is the L1. I own three of them now, two Milkyspit mods and a new cree L1. The cree L1 (65 lumen version) is quite bright, almost as bright as my 100 lumen ML1, and casts a tight beam that can make it seem brighter than the L2 or L4 when looking at targets at longer distances. Add the 2-level functionality, the smaller size, better battery life, and with only one batter instead of two, and it's a clear winner to me. The new L1 has been getting good reviews for a good reason, it's a great light.

GreySave

Enlightened
I have an L4, and while it is a great light, its lone power level and one hour runtime at full power does make it a bit dated. If you need flood for items like dog walking etc..., I would suggest throwing the U2 into the mix with the L2. It offers a nice combination of flood versus throw, and I find myself using the lowest setting much of the time when handling my own dogs, which provides for a very lengthy run time. The interface is not quite as friendly as the L2 because of the ring versus push button bump to high power however. The L2 is thus easier to use one handed.

If flood is not an issue I think I'd go with the L1 Cree for the run time.

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an L4 and L1's (Milky and stock SF). If it were me I would choose the L1 due to the two choices of brightness & runtime, however if you have a need for a light with spill as opposed to throw then, as pointed out by Derek Dean the L4 is the better choice. They are both great lights and if you can distinguish the relative merits of both and choose on that basis you will not be dissapointed.

As for the L2 - sorry - I know nothing.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Derek Dean, great post. You really put out a lot of info/links there. I would add that using Google-CPF only at the top of every CPF page is a good way to find out about the lights mentioned, and others as well.

Bill

digitaleos

Enlightened
I can't believe nobody has mentioned using a Mcgizmo 2-stage switch on the L4. :shrug:

Chris

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
The answer to your question "which" is answered in my signature line below. :party: :D

OK, seriously...all are great...sounds like 2-level is better for your use. Start with the Cree (latest) L1. High is significantly bright, and the low is very useful, and the physical package is relatively compact.

planex

Newly Enlightened
The L1 is the best choice for your backup light. Loong runtime on low, with a very bright 65 lumens when you need it and only uses 1 battery.

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another LED option would be the new G2L or the 6PL. They are a nice size and have great runtime. Also, the LED assembly could be used in the Z2 light if you don't like the incandescent lamp assembly.:)

Tom M

Newly Enlightened
I have both the L4 and the new cree L1. Both are excellent lights. The L4 gives a better and brighter flood than the L1. However, you will use 2 CR123's for about the same runtime as the L1 on high, and the light will get warm - hot with continuous use. The L1 is more efficient, meaning less heat and less battery use. Add the "built in" 2 stage, and I'd say its the better choice. The only thing I've had to get used to is turning the tailcap for constant on, I've got used to the clickie tailcap on my L4.

Good Luck,
Tom

Patriot

Flashaholic
I like the idea of the L1 because it's small as a back-up light should be. I also prefer the efficiency of the cree.

I have an L2 and L4 but the L2 gets more use because of the two stages. For some reason I never got a 2 stage Mcgizmo for it.

Pinkerton

Newly Enlightened
Thank You all for Your comments, after doing some more studying, I just ordered a L1.
If I'm not happy with it's performance, I can always do as you suggested, and a) get it "tuned up" or b) get me either L2 or L4.

At the moment, I think that 65 Lumens is quite allright.. I got carried away for a moment, thinking 100 Lumens would be "the thing". After all, it's going to be backup. So 1. got to be small/light 2. rugged. = L1.

And I've got two Fenix's to give me 135 and 200 Lum, if the extra Lumens is needed:) Usually these will be needed off-duty.

INFI

Newly Enlightened
My L1 makes my big L5 look bad. When you push the tailcap on your L1 once you get it, you will be able to show off to your friend. The L1 is the second light that actually was above my expectations the other was the SFM6, when I got it years ago. I have owned at least 100 different lights (about a dozen Surefires) and the L1 shocked me when I opened mine up last week. I will sell my L5 once I get to show my brother in law them side by side. I'm sure he will opt for one as well.:wave:

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have all three, and I pretty much prefer the Cree L1. They're all great lights. The L4, well, I seldom need that much light. The L2 has the low mode, but it's quite long for EDC. The L1 is a good compromise, and has a very usable beam, I think.

INFI

Newly Enlightened
I will own four Surefire lights by the end of the year, maybe five.
They will include an L1, M6, X300 and the Beast. (that is how much I like the L1) Yes, I will pay a premium for the Beast. I know. But it is factored into my fun budget, although I did pick up two extra Glocks last month.:poke::green: