need advice......MagLite....read on

DaGreenLantern

Newly Enlightened
hi.i have a 4D cell maglite that i am fed up with. the light just isnt working for me. i need LUMENS.lots of them.i would like to get the most lumens out of any combo LED's and battery packs.
i do not want to bore it out.i dont mind the soldering or changing the switch .i prefer led cuz it will give me more runtime.anyhelp will be appreciated.is the asherical lens good only for throw? i do not want to cut down my body.
i want MAXIMUM LIGHT from this 4D body.please help me.
:poke::popcorn::whistle::caution::candle::caution::candle::candle::candle::caution:

-Moe-

Last edited:

Brozneo

Enlightened
Asherical Lens are only for throw - they concentrate the beam into a small hotspot and they throw for miles, however haven't heard of any multiple LED asheric lens setups....

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
A simple upgrade would be a Terralux or NiteIze... more than that is out of my league but use the search function, it helps, and you'll find a lot about this topic.

JamisonM

Enlightened
Does a MALKOFF drop in require do-it-yourself work or is it a bulb drop in like the Terralux?
It's a drop-in just like the terralux drop-ins for maglites. The only exception is that you need a camless reflector. If you use the stock maglite reflector, you'll need to cut a portion of it off. Right now, Gene is sold out of his D cell maglties. You can subscribe to his mailing list and wait to get word about them being back in stock or you can make your own. If you make your own, it won't be as easy as just plugging in Gene's drop-in, but you will achieve the same basic effect. Here's a few examples.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=2057789
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=144921
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=163902

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Malkoffdevices D Drop-in would be the brightest drop-in without any/much DIY stuff.

Camless reflector, you can cut your own

The asperical lens is pretty much only good for throw. It produces no side spill or if you left the reflector in, the side spill would be ugly.

:welcome:

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Malkoff...I have two of the "D" versions and one "C" version and they are incredible!!! :rock:Well worth the money! :thumbsup:

solidstate42

Newly Enlightened
Are they both equally reliable? I noticed that there is a difference in price. Does anyone know why that is? Thanks in advance.

A simple upgrade would be a Terralux or NiteIze... more than that is out of my league but use the search function, it helps, and you'll find a lot about this topic.

JamisonM

Enlightened
Are they both equally reliable? I noticed that there is a difference in price. Does anyone know why that is? Thanks in advance.
I don't think either one is more reliable then the other, but if you're looking for something to replace the bulb in your maglite then I'd go for the terralux because easily the brightest of the two. The Niteize is a relatively dim LED drop-in that's more of a backup/emergency lighting solution.

DaGreenLantern

Newly Enlightened
Thanx for all the replies. i wuz looking to change the switch housing and want to know which led setup will give me the most lumens. i know osram makes a bulb i think it's supposed to be like a 50W bulb equivilent.i want full power with decent throw and some flood .
i want to use lithium rechargable batteries also.like around 14.1 volts. how do u get differant light colors out of the led's? i know its got something todo with te:D:confused::confused:mpeture.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Terralux can take up to 9v and the Malkoff can take up to 6v(I think) so it is not recommended to use Lithium rechargeables. The lithium rechargeable have about the same amount of power as a NiMh rechargeable battery. The Li-Ion battery has a higher voltage with a lower mAh rating and the NiMh has a higher mAh rating with a lower voltage. For 14v, try looking for a high power Incan mod.

LED colors? well, the Seoul will shift blue if it is overheating. The yellow phosphor does not like heat. Other colors are created with special LEDs designed to produce that color.

I think the Malkoffdevices drop-in should be great unless you have seen some really bright flashlight mods.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
i've got a custom 4d mag with 3 cree's on optics,
and a new 4d mag with 5 reflectors.
you may want to consider getting one custom made for 400+ lumens.
the malkoff we're talkin 200 and the terralux 130ish.
(these are the real world numbers-not inflated claims)

malkoff is the simpliest by far and not too expensive.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
How does one go about making a multi-led Mag conversion? Have there been any do-it-yourselfers that have posted a DIY link with photos and know-how instructions?

:)

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Asherical Lens are only for throw - they concentrate the beam into a small hotspot and they throw for miles, however haven't heard of any multiple LED asheric lens setups....

not really. it's still focusable. you get a even flood or a hotspot. the flood was my favorite part about the lens as i thought the magled was a decent thrower already.

go for malkoff if you want simple upgrade. other dropins are not worth it imo. if you are good at modding you could always just swap out the magled with a cree.