still more questions...(Tiablo,dereelight..)

Saiga

Enlightened
again, i really appreciate the help i've gotten so far, but i'm still in the dark (pardon the pun) about a few things. i'm still shopping for a big thrower, just a toy,mostly to show my brother that his G2L ain't all that and a bag O' chips!! (yeah, i know it's really a cool light, i now have one on backorder,too).
anyway,i'm pretty sold on the tiablo A8, but i keep reading about it not being OK with 123's, yet in all my searches, i haven't read exactly why.is it run time? i'm trying not to spend the extra $35 for the A9, i don't like that goofy rubber hex thing on it, plus, 210 lumens is a LOT of light,ain't it? do i need 250+ ? i mean, these things are gonna get to the point where they'll light up stuff so far away, we won't be able to see it !!!
also....what's up with dereelight ?? i can't seem to find out anywhere how many lumens these things are putting out. my google-fu is at its limit, but never a word from any one on lumens. i even posted a question here recently,and only got guesses.
so for all my ranting and rambling,them's my questions : what's the deal with 123's in the A8,and how many lumens do the dereelights put out ?as always, any help muchly appreciated......M

Last edited:

Saiga

Enlightened
thanks for the effort Cnote, but i'm already Un-sold on the MRV. and as for the other links, i've seen them already, and unless i'm missing something (which could easily be the case) there's still no mention of lumens on that,or any other dereelight page i've seen. also, as popular as the tiablos seem to be, seems like it'd be easier to just TELL me what the 123 battery issue is with the A8, rather than forward me a meter and a half of stats. i don't mean this post to be as sarcastic as it may read. thanks......m.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
From other threads here I remember that one of the Tiablos is optimized for using 123s and the other is optimized for using 18650s. Sorry I do not recall the reasoning behind that fact.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
seems like it'd be easier to just TELL me what the 123 battery issue is with the A8, rather than forward me a meter and a half of stats. i don't mean this post to be as sarcastic as it may read. thanks......m.
Issue on A8 is that you may have to run the light on low for a minute or two on fresh CR123A batteries before you can go to Hi. The driver can't handle anything above 6V, and fresh batteries can just exceed that level at first. Not a problem after the first few mins. This is the price you pay for the A8's stunning regulation on both primaries and 18650.

This is not an issue on the A9, since that circuit accepts a wider voltage range. But you will then wind up with lower output and less-regulated performance on 18650. Your call ...

texbaz

Newly Enlightened
Great information, I flipped a coin the other night, heads A8, tails A9. An OD A8 is inbound. Yeah Baby.:thumbsup: Hope to get a Guarded switch like the A9 if Tiablo makes one.

So, now I'm going to looking at purchasing a Charger and some 18650's I saw the Thread were AW is selling his batteries, I'm sure it's just me but that seems steep for 1ea 18650. Hope their are cheaper alternatives:)

Last edited:

ak645

Newly Enlightened
There is a very good reason why DereeLight does not publish exact lumen numbers.Because it would be a lie.Within every bin of LEDs there is a range of luminous flux.There is a range of VF.Unless you test each emitter individually there's no way to tell.There is also optical loss to consider.Efficiency of the driver circuit.The only way to tell for sure is to use an integrator.Only SureFire has one.But then everyone says SureFires aren't bright enough.Even if all flaslhight companies used an integrator,at what junction temperature/battery voltage were they testing at?

So except for SureFire all lumen ratings are just so much hot air.Even if you were to test a light that doesn't mean the next one will be the same.DereeLight gives the LED bin and the drive current.You do the rest.Some folks need an exact number.If so get a SureFire.Anything else is just a guess.

Andy

again, i really appreciate the help i've gotten so far, but i'm still in the dark (pardon the pun) about a few things. i'm still shopping for a big thrower, just a toy,mostly to show my brother that his G2L ain't all that and a bag O' chips!! (yeah, i know it's really a cool light, i now have one on backorder,too).
anyway,i'm pretty sold on the tiablo A8, but i keep reading about it not being OK with 123's, yet in all my searches, i haven't read exactly why.is it run time? i'm trying not to spend the extra $35 for the A9, i don't like that goofy rubber hex thing on it, plus, 210 lumens is a LOT of light,ain't it? do i need 250+ ? i mean, these things are gonna get to the point where they'll light up stuff so far away, we won't be able to see it !!!
also....what's up with dereelight ?? i can't seem to find out anywhere how many lumens these things are putting out. my google-fu is at its limit, but never a word from any one on lumens. i even posted a question here recently,and only got guesses.
so for all my ranting and rambling,them's my questions : what's the deal with 123's in the A8,and how many lumens do the dereelights put out ?as always, any help muchly appreciated......M

Saiga

Enlightened
well,this has gotten interesting. thanks again for the replies. i understood the 3 minute-in-low W/ new batteries thing,just didn't know if there was more to it. if that's it, then no biggie IMO.
hey texbaz, where'd you find the A8 in OD ?

Last edited:

SIMON LEONE

Newly Enlightened
Yeah Baby.:thumbsup: Hope to get a Guarded switch like the A9 if Tiablo makes one.

Congrats man I have the A8 Q5, too. And it's so awesome.
Also I have some flickering issues lately but I think that's beacuse of the batteries.
I'm going to check that with one of a higher quality

I am looking for a A9 tailcap, too.

Does anyone have one A9 tail cap left.

I mean not the tactical one ... the one where I can fix a lanyard

Leone

daveman

Enlightened
If you want to run your light off of an 18650, buy the A8, as it's optimized for 18650's voltage. It will run with cr123s also, but you have to run it low for 3 minutes first before high and the regulation won't be as "flat" as it's with 18650s.

If you want to run your light off of a cr123s, buy the A9, as it's optimized for 2 cr123's voltage. It will run with 18650s also, but the output won't be as high as it's with cr123s and the regulation won't be as "flat" as it's with c123s.

da.gee

Enlightened
To my eye, 50% setting on the Dereelight CL1H (using OP reflector) is brighter than the G2L. G2L has a little larger spill area but not much. Also the G2L is somewhat purple in tint when compared to the Dereelight. In high mode on the CL1H there is no comparison.

Another data point: G2L looks about the same as my Fenix P2D RB100 on "100 lumen" setting.

That said, I was impressed by the G2L brightness when I first received it given my expectations with the lumen rating. As AK645 stated though this is somewhat of a lottery given the individual variation among emitters of the same ilk and the additional challenge of those companies measuring at the emitter and those measuring output from the head.

If you wanted to impress your bro grab the minscule P2D RB100 and play with that or just get a super thrower and knock his socks off.

texbaz

Newly Enlightened
well,this has gotten interesting. thanks again for the replies. i understood the 3 minute-in-low W/ new batteries thing,just didn't know if there was more to it. if that's it, then no biggie IMO.
hey texbaz, where'd you find the A8 in OD ?

I stumbled across tiablo's web page and since I was looking for a new light for this hunting season I just hit the Paypal ,and ordered one from the factory. Their page is set up for that. After I orderd I was going to cancel cause I saw they had distributors here in the states but it was too late So, it's inbound from HK,or China I guess.
Got an E-mail from Tiablo saying it had shipped.