LED Drop-in for Surefire Good Enough for Iraq?

discohero

Newly Enlightened
A good buddy of mine is getting deployed to Iraq soon and I wanted to get him a bright, reliable, light for his tour of duty. He really likes the SF G2 for its durability and the light weight of the nitrolon. My concern is the reliability of the P60 lamp with burning out and its availability if something happens. I would like to get a LED drop-in for it which is bright, has good runtime and more importantly is tough enough to withstand the military demands of Iraq. I have the Bugout Gear premium plus in my 6PD and love it but am not too sure if its tough enough for actual military use. Any thoughts on a drop-in (i.e. bugout, malkoff, wolf-eyes, etc.) for the G2 meeting these criteria and actual proof/testimonial would be great. Thanks in advance!

Size15's

Flashaholic
How about SureFire's own P60L?
When you buy it at the moment is comes complete with a G2! Two lights better than one... Interchangeable components etc.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy discohero,
You might want to do a bit of checking around the various US troops support sites before deciding on a light for your friend. Brightest is not always best. I've read various statements on this forum from returning service men saying that what they needed was either a low level white, or even a low level red LED light.

Following those guidelines I would think the Surefire Aviator with the red LEDs might be something to consider.

Edit: I just happened to notice an A2 on the CPF MarketPlace which actually includes both the red and white LED rings for a very fair price, shipped:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=169734

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
How about SureFire's own P60L?
When you buy it at the moment is comes complete with a G2! Two lights better than one... Interchangeable components etc.
What? where have I been (better not answer that one!)...do you have a link Al?

Size15's

Flashaholic
What? where have I been (better not answer that one!)...do you have a link Al?

Go to SureFire.com - the Yellow G2L (featuring the P60L) is on their front page!

SureFire are offering the P60L as part of the G2L, and 6PL flashlights.
In due course there is expectation the P60L will be offered as an accessory.
It is intended to replace the P60, and can even be used to replace the P90 in the 9P/G3/C3.

Al

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Here's the thing. If you want max output and maybe multi modes, go with a third party Drop-in. If you want bright but also long runtime, then go for the G2L or P6L.

Best of luck to your friend.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G2 is a plastic flashlight and it gets very HOT in Iraq. If you want to get him a light that he will use, not break and keep him out of hazards way... the light must have programmable output and thermal protection.

The Novatac 120 lumen model should work. You can go low or high and press on. The lights I will take to Iraq next year will be the Peak First Responder three Seoul SSC flashlight with variable output. The second will be a LRI Proton single AA light with variable output white and variable output red LEDs. The Peak will eat 17500 lithium-ion cells with the three Seoul LEDs fed between 10mA (low) to 800mA (high) each. A nice knob to adjust output/runtime as needed. LRI better make a good quality Proton this time, been waiting for over 2.5 years for them to get it right.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The G2 is a plastic flashlight and it gets very HOT in Iraq.
Tends to be pretty cold a nights as well...

How about getting feedback from those with experience in theatre doing the same type of role you will be doing?

The feedback I've read is that the G2 is extremely popular for use in Iraq with many soldiers using them as lights for their carbines/rifles etc.
Since aftermarket LED dropins are not supported, and the G2L is pretty new I would advocate having a couple G2's in addition to any LED lights you decide on.

Last edited:

NickDrak

Enlightened
The G2 is a plastic flashlight and it gets very HOT in Iraq. If you want to get him a light that he will use, not break and keep him out of hazards way... the light must have programmable output and thermal protection.

Have there been ANY documented reports of G2's, G2L's or any Surefire "non-programmable" lights breaking on a regular basis due to heat issues or otherwise out in Iraq? All due respect, but what is the basis for your statement?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Ohhh, I thought I was getting a G2L AND a G2...now I understand. (Do I? :ohgeez: )

The G2L is the LED version of the G2.
The 6PL is the LED version of the 6P.

The G2/6P features the P60 incandescent lamp assembly.

The G2L/6PL features the P60L LED lamp assembly.

"L" for L.E.D. :wave:

INFI

Newly Enlightened

How about getting feedback from those with experience in theatre doing the same type of role you will be doing?

The feedback I've read is that the G2 is extremely popular for use in Iraq with many soldiers using them as lights for their carbines/rifles etc.
Since aftermarket LED dropins are not supported, and the G2L is pretty new I would advocate having a couple G2's in addition to any LED lights you decide on.

I have my best friend over there right now.
He has a G2 and it has served him well, no complaints although when we talk I ask how his gear is holding up and he likes his light thats all he had positive to say about any of his equipment, although I know he likes his Chris Reeve Sebenza knife I got him as well. Anyway, God bless our troops! Hope you get the right one for your buddy and he makes it home safe.

Last edited:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

I get a ton of feedback, trust me! :)

The following lights have failed in Iraq
Inova X5 LED failure due to heat
Streamlight Luxeon Jr. LED failure/switch failure (heat and dust)
Arc AAA-P board failure due to bad batch of transistors
Minimag with BB500 R2H sandwich heat failure

Lights that held up to extensive use. Extensive means used during the day in the heat when working in dark places and running for hours on end at night providing light.

Peak Matterhorn/Killamanjaro white/red/UV lights (lanyard lights)
Mag 2D with MadMax+ and Luxeon R2H mod (used at night to work on projects) Remove head for a great flood light.
Arc AA with NiMH 1.2V rechargable

The lights that worked were used in Iraq and Afghanistan 2004 to 2006 by myself and others.

Next light going under test. Peak First Responder with different reflectors, additional heat sink for the head and two 17500 lithium-ion batteries. Placed used... Iraq by an Army scout. It will head to him in November when I get his address and send the package. The First Responder will replace the Surefire G2, E2E and Streamlight Strion he uses presently.

I will get the light back next summer and mod it with R5 bins and Fraen FRC reflectors and take it with me to ??? (starts with a vowel)

The G2 is a great light... because it is CHEAP! No complaints to pick up a light that bright for $30. HUGE complaints when it comes time to feed the battery eating light though. Life is good when using rechargable cells, having 400 lumens and variable power output.

I don't kick down doors but I do hang up a light in a huge shipping container that needs to be unloaded during the day... in the hot sun... it is painted green... the heat is almost unbearable but it does let me know the heat sinking ability of flashlights. I would not trust a G2 with a drop-in LED to run for two hours in 140F (60C) heat.

The only thing I trust is a light that either adjusts the output down when hot or has enough mass to keep the LED(s) cool. Hell, even a MagLED has thermal adjusting drive levels! Get a MadLED 3D and use it for area lighting... remove the head and it is an awesome flood light.

Still want to see the reviews of the LRI Proton with variable white and red LED output. It would fit well on the body armor loops and runs a single AA. No recommendation until I see a review and the positive contact in the head.

If you need a weapon light, get a Surefire... if you need an EDC for crazy heat/cold and nastiness... get the Novatach.

discohero

Newly Enlightened
BentHead, great feedback and thanks everyone also for all the great suggestions!

dlrflyer

Newly Enlightened
Yes, an Inova X5 failing because of heat kinda shocks me too. X5's are some of the toughest lights around. And I know Uncle Sugar is sending them by the truckloads to the sandbox(s). But you can't really argue with BentHeadTX, he's a multiple BTDT.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought the G2Ls have a pseudo thermal protection in that it lowers the output when the light is on for a certain period of time to prevent too much heat that would damage the circuit and LED.

the Inova X5 is a direct drive light. I'm not surprised to hear some cases of failure over time.