Seized property at Airport? Buy it back on Ebay

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't see that link above at the moment, but I did read an article about this the other day. California is selling off what they confiscate, I can't remember the exact number but it's in the range of $40k they have raised so far.

The article was short on details though. Can I still take my stuff they don't like back to the car or mail it to myself? If I still have the option to take back my stuff and exit security to come back through without it then I don't care that they are selling what people choose to leave behind. Perhaps that pair of grandma's toenail clippers isn't worth the trouble for you to go put it back in the car. But if they aren't telling people or allowing people to do that then I have a big problem with it. Did this article give any more info on that particular bit of info?

leddite

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
x-ray said:
[ QUOTE ]
leddite said:
oops, the url "went bad", and i can't find the "right one",
so i edited and added an ebay link :>

happy bidding

30 lbs of scissors?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=28171&item=3119622795

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you advertising this ebay auction ? Do you get a cut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

uhm, the better to fight and fund terrorism? against the american people.
by our own government? uhm. yeah. that.

what kills me is that people are willing to surrender this stuff for
convenience, esp the items that are so "valuable" to them.

it's worse that the screening process is such that they take your bags
for check-in *before* they give you the chance to stow items like this
which are otherwise harmless in checked baggage. bah!

they have a profit motive too. aaaaaaahh.

at least *some* airports have kiosks to buy a padd envelope/stamps so you
can mail yourself the items.

travel tip: make sure to bring your own envelope, and postage. refuse
to give up your precious swag.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
What's really bad is when they actually confiscate the item and won't even allow the person the opportunity to return it to their car or mail it back to themselves (personal experience, don't ask). They rape you for whatever they can. That is when I believe it becomes blatent theft, and it's just pouring salt in the wound when you see the stuff for sale somewhere. Sometimes you have to wonder about the motives of some of these security screeners (in my case, I think he just wanted my item for himself), and you can't make too much of a scene about it or risk being threatened by a cop that you're going to be put in jail (can we say "scam"). Sometimes people just plain FORGET to put their EDC items away in a checked bag before continuing to security, it can happen to anyone. IMO, it is just the "man" keeping us down... Yes, I am jaded!

Rrrrrr /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif