Novatac 120P/T or Surefire L1?

manoloco

Enlightened
Im kind of torn between a surefire L1 and a novatac 120p, i am already stretching the budget by buying one, so buying 2 is not an option at the moment, also im pretty far and those kind of lights are impossible to find here, with the hassles of me living far (shipping times, etc) i want to make a good choice.

maybe i should hold on and see what hds has in store? (assuming its on the mentioned price range)

one detail is that i like to signal by sightly pressing a switch not all the way to a click, and as it seems with a 120p i would be changing modes by doing that, am i correct?, it would be nice that the switch just uses primary mode if you just press it slightly and only changes modes if you click it or click it and keep it pressed (does the 120t switch does that?).

say i need to go to a close place by myself and then need to signal a friend how many bricks i need him to bring me, if five i signal 5 times with my light and he brings me that number, i can do that with my l1t but i want to try a tougher -and i assume more reliable- light

i like other modes, but my immediate edc needs are partially covered by my fenix l1t ( which i like and works really good), but is not in the same league as the lights discussed here, and lacks a really low light mode.

Right now im finding flashlights very useful, not only as edc for any need that arises, but sometimes i check buildings and rooms that not have any lighting yet, or are being remodeled etc. sometimes i need to take measures on that conditions, sometimes i would like to have the signaling options i mentioned, and still be able to use it outdoors a bit.

if there are any recommendations besides the surefire l1 or the novatac 120p that would be nice to hear, from what i have read i came up with those 2 models, as reliability (mechanical and electrical) is very important, handling and operation too, with a good output and runtime, also i want to keep my edc as portable as possible, pocketable.

any help very appreciated!

Last edited:

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
i like other modes, but my immediate edc needs are partially covered by my fenix l1t ( which i like and works really good), but is not in the same league as the lights discussed here, and lacks a really low light mode.
I don't own a L1 or 120P, so I can't really tell you what's better for you.
I see you are searching for something with a really low light mode - unfortunately the new Cree L1 has a 10 times brighter low than the old Luxeon L1 version. The old L1 had 1 lumen and 90 hours runtime, the new L1 has 10 lumens and 16 hours runtime.
I would say the L1 is a reliable and simple flashlight, the Novatac is more like a small computer with many settings, modes, levels... (complicated systems have complicated failures :grin2:)

Taepo

Newly Enlightened
If your budget is already stretched, you could get the L1 much cheaper than the Novatac. PM me if you need help 'shopping around' for an L1.

INFI

Newly Enlightened
For signaling an L1 would last a long time on one battery. There are lights out there that put out less light, but quality will be less. And you seem to want a nice EDC light, for other reasons as well. I can't tell you much about the 120P because I don't own one. I have the new L1 and think if you can afford it it would work very well for you, I love mine. There are other cheaper lights out there though, that you may consider, like fenix. But if you can afford an L1 or Novatac 120P, I think you will be happy in your purchase of either light. Happy hunting!

jcompton

Enlightened
The NovaTac does have a momentary setting which could be used for signaling. Once it's activated, just press and hold the clicky, then when you release the clicky it will turn off, without changing output levels.
If your budget is an issue you always have the option of going with the 85P.
I definitely recommend the NovaTac, primarily due to the fact that it is customizable: you might consider 1.3 lu to be a desired low setting for one application where as you might consider .08 lu to be a desired low setting for another application. With the NovaTac you can have both and with rather friendly UI, once you play with it for a bit (took me less than an hour), it is very easy to switch to your desired setting or even reprogram then in a matter of minutes if the need arises.

My vote is for the NovaTac.

rico

Newly Enlightened
I currently own both of these lights and I have to say that I VASTLY prefer the Novatac 120P.
There are a variety of factors which (personally) make the Novatac stand out.
1) Multiple brightness levels. I find that the low setting on the L1 is still actually quite bright. The lowest setting on the novatac is VERY dim and being able to customize all points in between is very very useful.
2)Strobe. Another personal favorite. I like this for night time roller-blading.
3)Signaling. It is still capable of signaling, as holding the button while the light is on will switch to momentary high. Releasing the button will drop it back to the previous setting.
4)Brightness. The Novatac is brighter. 'Nuff said :twothumbs
5)Useable spill. The L1 has a very large hotspot with very little spill. I find the Novatac has a better beam (again, personal preference).
6)Size. Novatac is much shorter in length, easier for pocket carry. However, it is fatter.

And the programming really isn't quite as complicated others make it out to be.

The L1 does have the advantage with the bezel-up pocket clip for impromptu head-lamps on a ball cap, but even with this, I still prefer the bezel down carry of the Novatac.
While the L1 is cheaper, I think I still prefer spending the extra 20-30 for the Novatac.

-E

manoloco

Enlightened
thanks everyone for the advice and responses, still i think the decision is hard, but thanks to your answers and other posts and reviews i have been reading i know both products a bit better.

manoloco

Enlightened
I have given it tought, they are expensive here and definitely not as easy to find as AAs but for the other reasons mentioned im willing to purchase online some cr123a, and a couple of rcr123a, this will set me back a bit more, but i need the power and portability the cell offers (single cell, good output-runtime), the rechargables i hope will help me on a day to day basis, and the others i will use in case of emergency.

i have read Surefire L1s dont take rechargables, and that would be a definite negative point, is that because of battery size or due to voltage?, maybe rcr123a 3.0v would do fine?

Optik49

Enlightened
I have a Novtac 120P and I love it.
In 5 mins you can have it programmed to exactly what you want. Lots of light or just a little, the choice is yours and only a click click away. Great light always with me. Good luck. When in doubt buy both and sell the one you don't want.

manoloco

Enlightened
This is a small comparison, from the info i gathered and thanks to all your opinions and help.

It isnt definitive as you also have to factor how much i could favor a positive or negative aspect, but helps me focus better, so far this is what i got:

Novatac 120P/85P------------------------Surefire L1 cree (gen6)

PROS

Output---------------------------------------Warranty
Energy cell Options-----------------------Switch/tail operation
Versatility (+low light option)------------Knurling
UI---------------------------------------------Simple
Tail standing (P version)
Tint/efficiency balance through CC
Cell protection

CONS

Fatter----------------------------------------Longer
Less throw (?)-----------------------------Less side spill
Spring coil around battery---------------Only primaries
Clip (probably subjective)
Inefficient with low battery

Electronmage: thanks for your answer, why do you prefer the L1?

Last edited:

cslinger

Enlightened
I do not have experience with the new L1. I love the simplicity of the Surefire switching system but I think the Novatac is the way to go.
It is smaller, has more options, more brightness levels, offers a low low and is user defineable.

Previously I have compared the HDS Basic and Ultimate to the Surefire L1 and the HDS were far and away the better choice, for me anyway. I love Surefire products, so this does not stem from Surefire hate.

I will buy a new L1 but I bought the Novatacs first.

Chris

shadowbuds

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone with both show a side by side comparison? I believe the L1 is smaller and less cumbersome but have yet to pick up a novatac. The L1 tailcap is probably the best design i've seen to date.

ideefixe

Newly Enlightened
I think you have summed it up nicely in your list...

I have both the 120p and a SF L1 Cree and I like the L1 more. The L1 throws farther and has a much concentrated hot spot. The 120p's throw poops out at 50ft or so. The Novatacs are over-hyped, I think. UI is nice, but most only need two modes - high and low. It's definitely not worth $150 to me. One thing to point out is, RCR123s work fine in the SF L1 not just primaries.

Last edited:

berto

Newly Enlightened
I bought a novatac 120t and a l1. I ended up returning the l1 and buying another 120t. The l1 barely out threw the 120 but the 120t lit up everything in its path and remember this is an edc light and the novatac lights up a big room with ease the l1 just was'nt bright enough.

INFI

Newly Enlightened
I bought a novatac 120t and a l1. I ended up returning the l1 and buying another 120t. The l1 barely out threw the 120 but the 120t lit up everything in its path and remember this is an edc light and the novatac lights up a big room with ease the l1 just was'nt bright enough.

Was your SF a CREE?

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Tonight I almost pressed the buy button for a SF L1, but wanted to read some more about it before. My thoughts on the L1 is that it has a easier UI for stressed moments, KISS!!. The L1 have more concentrated beam, and with a F04 beamdiffuser you would get a very floody beam. If the P2D is almost comparable to the L1 Cree, the L1 would be good enough to light up a rooms with, when using the beamdiffuser. Im looking for a new EDC light because Im not totally satisfyed with my current EDC (P2D) much because of the tailcap not beeing momentary, and that the UI isnt the best for every situations. And one more important thing why Im looking for another EDC, is because Im not pleased with the apperance of the P2D, I think it looks like a lipstick! The L1 is nice to look at and not slippery to hold, which is very important now when winter comes! I have never hold a Novatac, but it dont have the right looks to end up in my pocket now when I already got a lipstick there... :)
I too want/need to be able to signal with the light, so theres another vote for the L1!

I know how hard it is to really want a new light, and not be sure which one to buy! Im there now too.... :)

manoloco

Enlightened
You can buy a tactical tailcap and remove the switch module and rubber boot and exchange it with the one on your p2d, it works great in the l1tv2 i have, though i suspect you are after a more reliable/tougher quality flashlight too. just a suggestion so you can enjoy your p2d better.

INFI

Newly Enlightened
Tonight I almost pressed the buy button for a SF L1, but wanted to read some more about it before. My thoughts on the L1 is that it has a easier UI for stressed moments, KISS!!. The L1 have more concentrated beam, and with a F04 beamdiffuser you would get a very floody beam. If the P2D is almost comparable to the L1 Cree, the L1 would be good enough to light up a rooms with, when using the beamdiffuser. Im looking for a new EDC light because Im not totally satisfyed with my current EDC (P2D) much because of the tailcap not beeing momentary, and that the UI isnt the best for every situations. And one more important thing why Im looking for another EDC, is because Im not pleased with the apperance of the P2D, I think it looks like a lipstick! The L1 is nice to look at and not slippery to hold, which is very important now when winter comes! I have never hold a Novatac, but it dont have the right looks to end up in my pocket now when I already got a lipstick there... :)
I too want/need to be able to signal with the light, so theres another vote for the L1!

I know how hard it is to really want a new light, and not be sure which one to buy! Im there now too.... :)

If you press the buy button for the L1 you will be amazed at how much better it is than your L4 in terms of throw, light color rendition, and it will be close in output to your L4 with a much smaller package.. My L5 is going to be sold soon. The L1 is better in every respect I can think of. Good luck, and happy hunting!