NEXTORCH - 300 m long-shot E6        
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: runtime and a fenix decision

  1. #1

    Default runtime and a fenix decision

    what has more energy for longer runtime.
    rcr123a x2 or
    aa nimh x2

    i think i wanna get a fenix rebel premium despite my disappointment with mte 5mode rebel. NOT 100 lumens! but i suppose there is benefits to that huge hotspot.

    so, i'm thinking of 2aa fenix rebel or 2cr123 rebel.
    what is the better batt combo.
    if you say 2aa, i'm thinking should i just upgrade my cree to the q5.
    if you say 2cr123, i may like the new smaller form factor, and i do have the charger now for my solarforce. what batts should i pick to go with it.

    also where is the best cpf deal that i can also package batteries?
    thanks for the help in advance!
    frank
    6d rop high 4dmag tri-cree 4d mag penta q5 (fs)
    mte seoul aa 3aa magled q5mod fenix l0d q4 on 10440s
    fenix l2d q5 fenix l2d rebel 100 3dmag w/monsterthrowIII

  2. #2

    Post Re: runtime and a fenix decision

    Quote Originally Posted by jasonsmaglites View Post
    what has more energy for longer runtime.
    rcr123a x2 or
    aa nimh x2

    i think i wanna get a fenix rebel premium despite my disappointment with mte 5mode rebel. NOT 100 lumens! but i suppose there is benefits to that huge hotspot.

    so, i'm thinking of 2aa fenix rebel or 2cr123 rebel.
    what is the better batt combo.
    if you say 2aa, i'm thinking should i just upgrade my cree to the q5.
    if you say 2cr123, i may like the new smaller form factor, and i do have the charger now for my solarforce. what batts should i pick to go with it.

    also where is the best cpf deal that i can also package batteries?
    thanks for the help in advance!
    frank
    I presume the choice is thus between a P3D and an L2D. The P3D when running on RCR will probably have significantly lower runtime than the L2D... but it's smaller, and a nicer form factor... along with having a lower low and a brighter turbo (a little).

    I guess it depends on whether you want to carry it with you in a pocket or on your belt.

    I found the L2D too large to carry as an EDC... but coupled with Eneloop AAs, it's a GREAT way to get tons of light... for cheap. Plus, you can always use regular AAs in it, if push comes to shove.

    You just have to make a decision about what's a priority.

    Cost Form Runtime Size
    L2D + - + -
    P3D - + - +


    *Note: P3D on primary lithiums has equivalent runtime to the L2D, AFAIK.

  3. #3
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    648

    Default Re: runtime and a fenix decision

    I don't get the fascination with Eneloop... Flashaholics don't sit around without using their lights, so what's the point of batteries with a low self-discharge rate when you gotta recharge 'em often anyway?

    Sure, they're great for emergency batteries.. But if you're using it every day, the self-discharge is a non-issue.

    I especially don't get it, because Eneloop's are 2000mAh and you can get 2700mAh normal NiMH.

    4Sevens Quark 123 R2, Fenix Tk10, NiteCore Defender Q5, Fenix P2D CE (P4) Natural, Fenix L0D Q4 (Copper??), Surefire E1e with McLux head and Luxeon 3, Black 4D Mag with TerraLux SSC Drop-in, Deep Purple Mag AA with TerraLux 1W UV Cree, Arc AAA

  4. #4

    Default Re: runtime and a fenix decision

    Quote Originally Posted by jasonsmaglites View Post
    what has more energy for longer runtime.
    rcr123a x2 or
    aa nimh x2
    2xAA NiMH will typically well outperform 2xRCR in terms of runtime. Personally, I'm not a fan of 2xRCR - you'd be better off (safer) with 1x18650 or some other arrangement. Unfortunately, I don't believe the P3D takes 18650 (although I may be wrong, since I don't personally have one).

    The Fenix Rebel is a nice step up from the standard Cree in both output and runtime (unlike the MTE light, where it was a step down). It also outperforms a Q2 Cree. My 1AA comparison review has been updated with on both rebel lights.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's MID-RANGE MYSTERY BOX Sale
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

  5. #5

    Default Re: runtime and a fenix decision

    I have been carrying my L2d ce in my front pocket daily as a work light for the last couple of weeks, and don't find it uncomfortable at all. I use NiMH cells, and it has long runtime,with good output. I also use a P2d with rcr123, or L1d NiMH. I personally prefer the NiMH due to the safety factor.

  6. #6

    Default Re: runtime and a fenix decision

    well i have a l2d ce now, so if i'm keeping that, i'm thinking about a q5 upgrade.

    what's more efficent, the q5 or the rebel 100?
    6d rop high 4dmag tri-cree 4d mag penta q5 (fs)
    mte seoul aa 3aa magled q5mod fenix l0d q4 on 10440s
    fenix l2d q5 fenix l2d rebel 100 3dmag w/monsterthrowIII

  7. #7

    Default Re: runtime and a fenix decision

    Quote Originally Posted by jasonsmaglites View Post
    i'm thinking about a q5 upgrade.
    I was thinking the same thing.

  8. #8

    Default Re: runtime and a fenix decision

    i didn't realize the q5 upgrade was $40.
    i'll pass and wait till fenix puts it in their lights from the factory.

    what's so unsafe about the rcr123
    what is it that makes these batteries want to explode?
    i have a solarforce and i feel funny walking it and get scared when it heats up.
    6d rop high 4dmag tri-cree 4d mag penta q5 (fs)
    mte seoul aa 3aa magled q5mod fenix l0d q4 on 10440s
    fenix l2d q5 fenix l2d rebel 100 3dmag w/monsterthrowIII

  9. #9

    Default Re: runtime and a fenix decision

    Check out this post about a light that had a couple of primary cells grenade.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=120888

    The idea of something like this happening to some rcr cells in a light carried in my front pants pocket does not really instill a feeling of confidence.

    Also, check out some threads, and posts from Newbie, and Silverfox. If you do a sight search on lithium thermal runaway, there is plenty of good reading.It is a real eye opener to say the least.

  10. #10

    Default Re: runtime and a fenix decision

    Quote Originally Posted by Bort View Post
    Check out this post about a light that had a couple of primary cells grenade.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=120888

    The idea of something like this happening to some rcr cells in a light carried in my front pants pocket does not really instill a feeling of confidence.

    Also, check out some threads, and posts from Newbie, and Silverfox. If you do a sight search on lithium thermal runaway, there is plenty of good reading.It is a real eye opener to say the least.
    It's pretty well decided, I think, that the key to this NOT happening is a little education, and a little care. Make sure your batteries are the same type/brand/etc., make sure they're the same voltage (or at least REALLY close), and you're good to go.

    Having said that, NIMH, Eneloop, alkaline, or any other kind of AA cell is less risky, so if risk is a huge factor for you, go with the L2D.

  11. #11
    Flashaholic* LEDninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Hamilton Canada
    Posts
    4,896

    Default Re: runtime and a fenix decision

    Quote Originally Posted by jasonsmaglites View Post
    what's so unsafe about the rcr123
    what is it that makes these batteries want to explode?
    i have a solarforce and i feel funny walking it and get scared when it heats up.
    Exploding 123A Batteries
    Rechargeable 123A Cell Warning
    Flashlight Reviews is still very useful even after Quickbeam has stopped reviewing new flashlights.

  12. #12

    Default Re: runtime and a fenix decision

    I have seen reports of CR123 cells exploding but I haven't seen reports of RCR123 cells exploding.
    However, I won't buy a flashlight that uses 2 RCR123's because it seems a bit dangerous and also excessive. I much prefer a well designed 18650 light over 2 x RCR123.

    There is a lot of hysteria on CPF regarding rechargeable lithium ion cells, yet millions of cell phones use them and there doesn't seem to be any problem. The only report I've seen regarding a cell phone fire was quickly debunked. Cell phone users are not sophisticated and knowledgeable about lithium ion cells. Flashlight users don't need to be either.

  13. #13

    Default Re: runtime and a fenix decision

    Quote Originally Posted by Khaytsus View Post
    I don't get the fascination with Eneloop... Flashaholics don't sit around without using their lights, so what's the point of batteries with a low self-discharge rate when you gotta recharge 'em often anyway?

    I especially don't get it, because Eneloop's are 2000mAh and you can get 2700mAh normal NiMH.
    I for one have 2500 Energizers and hate them in my bike light. I run them for a few days every week or two. Invariably, I'll run them for a half hour, let them sit, then go for another half hour only to watch them drop out when I should have several hours more of juice.

    2700 doesn't matter if its 1500 or 1000 when you actually use them. Combine that with the higher mah numbers requiring changes (thinner walls) that increase self discharge even more:

    Normal NiMH -> unreliable

  14. #14
    Flashaholic* NA8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,565

    Default Re: runtime and a fenix decision

    Quote Originally Posted by LightScene View Post
    There is a lot of hysteria on CPF regarding rechargeable lithium ion cells, yet millions of cell phones use them and there doesn't seem to be any problem. The only report I've seen regarding a cell phone fire was quickly debunked. Cell phone users are not sophisticated and knowledgeable about lithium ion cells. Flashlight users don't need to be either.
    You want it, you got it.

    "...there is a fundamental flaw with the way lithium-ion batteries are currently designed and if the companies genuinely care about safety, they need to completely change their production methods. A lithium-ion battery is quite a dangerous little box of energy,” Professor Wakihara said.

    The academics’ concerns emerged after a series of safety problems at the world’s three biggest battery manufacturers – Sony, Sanyo and, most recently, Matsushita (Panasonic), which has recalled 46 million mobile phone batteries made for Nokia after a handful of them burst into flames.

    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle2295743.ece

    Google: Nokia Battery for more.
    Last edited by NA8; 09-28-2007 at 05:24 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •