runtime and a fenix decision

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
what has more energy for longer runtime.
rcr123a x2 or
aa nimh x2

i think i wanna get a fenix rebel premium despite my disappointment with mte 5mode rebel. NOT 100 lumens! but i suppose there is benefits to that huge hotspot.

so, i'm thinking of 2aa fenix rebel or 2cr123 rebel.
what is the better batt combo.
if you say 2aa, i'm thinking should i just upgrade my cree to the q5.
if you say 2cr123, i may like the new smaller form factor, and i do have the charger now for my solarforce. what batts should i pick to go with it.

also where is the best cpf deal that i can also package batteries?
thanks for the help in advance!
frank

meuge

Enlightened
rcr123a x2 or
aa nimh x2

i think i wanna get a fenix rebel premium despite my disappointment with mte 5mode rebel. NOT 100 lumens! but i suppose there is benefits to that huge hotspot.

so, i'm thinking of 2aa fenix rebel or 2cr123 rebel.
what is the better batt combo.
if you say 2aa, i'm thinking should i just upgrade my cree to the q5.
if you say 2cr123, i may like the new smaller form factor, and i do have the charger now for my solarforce. what batts should i pick to go with it.

also where is the best cpf deal that i can also package batteries?
thanks for the help in advance!
frank
I presume the choice is thus between a P3D and an L2D. The P3D when running on RCR will probably have significantly lower runtime than the L2D... but it's smaller, and a nicer form factor... along with having a lower low and a brighter turbo (a little).

I guess it depends on whether you want to carry it with you in a pocket or on your belt.

I found the L2D too large to carry as an EDC... but coupled with Eneloop AAs, it's a GREAT way to get tons of light... for cheap. Plus, you can always use regular AAs in it, if push comes to shove.

You just have to make a decision about what's a priority.

Cost Form Runtime Size
L2D + - + -
P3D - + - +

*Note: P3D on primary lithiums has equivalent runtime to the L2D, AFAIK.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
I don't get the fascination with Eneloop... Flashaholics don't sit around without using their lights, so what's the point of batteries with a low self-discharge rate when you gotta recharge 'em often anyway?

Sure, they're great for emergency batteries.. But if you're using it every day, the self-discharge is a non-issue.

I especially don't get it, because Eneloop's are 2000mAh and you can get 2700mAh normal NiMH.

:shrug:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
rcr123a x2 or
aa nimh x2
2xAA NiMH will typically well outperform 2xRCR in terms of runtime. Personally, I'm not a fan of 2xRCR - you'd be better off (safer) with 1x18650 or some other arrangement. Unfortunately, I don't believe the P3D takes 18650 (although I may be wrong, since I don't personally have one).

The Fenix Rebel is a nice step up from the standard Cree in both output and runtime (unlike the MTE light, where it was a step down). It also outperforms a Q2 Cree. My 1AA comparison review has been updated with on both rebel lights.

Bort

Newly Enlightened
I have been carrying my L2d ce in my front pocket daily as a work light for the last couple of weeks, and don't find it uncomfortable at all. I use NiMH cells, and it has long runtime,with good output. I also use a P2d with rcr123, or L1d NiMH. I personally prefer the NiMH due to the safety factor.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
well i have a l2d ce now, so if i'm keeping that, i'm thinking about a q5 upgrade.

what's more efficent, the q5 or the rebel 100?

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
i didn't realize the q5 upgrade was $40.
i'll pass and wait till fenix puts it in their lights from the factory.

what's so unsafe about the rcr123
what is it that makes these batteries want to explode?
i have a solarforce and i feel funny walking it and get scared when it heats up. :poof:

Bort

Newly Enlightened
Check out this post about a light that had a couple of primary cells grenade.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/120888

The idea of something like this happening to some rcr cells in a light carried in my front pants pocket does not really instill a feeling of confidence.:poof:

Also, check out some threads, and posts from Newbie, and Silverfox. If you do a sight search on lithium thermal runaway, there is plenty of good reading.It is a real eye opener to say the least.

mchlwise

Enlightened
Check out this post about a light that had a couple of primary cells grenade.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/120888

The idea of something like this happening to some rcr cells in a light carried in my front pants pocket does not really instill a feeling of confidence.:poof:

Also, check out some threads, and posts from Newbie, and Silverfox. If you do a sight search on lithium thermal runaway, there is plenty of good reading.It is a real eye opener to say the least.

It's pretty well decided, I think, that the key to this NOT happening is a little education, and a little care. Make sure your batteries are the same type/brand/etc., make sure they're the same voltage (or at least REALLY close), and you're good to go.

Having said that, NIMH, Eneloop, alkaline, or any other kind of AA cell is less risky, so if risk is a huge factor for you, go with the L2D. :shrug:

LightScene

Enlightened
I have seen reports of CR123 cells exploding but I haven't seen reports of RCR123 cells exploding.
However, I won't buy a flashlight that uses 2 RCR123's because it seems a bit dangerous and also excessive. I much prefer a well designed 18650 light over 2 x RCR123.

There is a lot of hysteria on CPF regarding rechargeable lithium ion cells, yet millions of cell phones use them and there doesn't seem to be any problem. The only report I've seen regarding a cell phone fire was quickly debunked. Cell phone users are not sophisticated and knowledgeable about lithium ion cells. Flashlight users don't need to be either.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I don't get the fascination with Eneloop... Flashaholics don't sit around without using their lights, so what's the point of batteries with a low self-discharge rate when you gotta recharge 'em often anyway?

I especially don't get it, because Eneloop's are 2000mAh and you can get 2700mAh normal NiMH.

I for one have 2500 Energizers and hate them in my bike light. I run them for a few days every week or two. Invariably, I'll run them for a half hour, let them sit, then go for another half hour only to watch them drop out when I should have several hours more of juice.

2700 doesn't matter if its 1500 or 1000 when you actually use them. Combine that with the higher mah numbers requiring changes (thinner walls) that increase self discharge even more:

Normal NiMH -> unreliable

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a lot of hysteria on CPF regarding rechargeable lithium ion cells, yet millions of cell phones use them and there doesn't seem to be any problem. The only report I've seen regarding a cell phone fire was quickly debunked. Cell phone users are not sophisticated and knowledgeable about lithium ion cells. Flashlight users don't need to be either.

You want it, you got it. :devil:

"...there is a fundamental flaw with the way lithium-ion batteries are currently designed and if the companies genuinely care about safety, they need to completely change their production methods. A lithium-ion battery is quite a dangerous little box of energy," Professor Wakihara said.

The academics' concerns emerged after a series of safety problems at the world's three biggest battery manufacturers – Sony, Sanyo and, most recently, Matsushita (Panasonic), which has recalled 46 million mobile phone batteries made for Nokia after a handful of them burst into flames.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article2295743.ece

Google: Nokia Battery for more.

Last edited: