Lanyard

MBurke

Newly Enlightened
Hello..I was wondering if anybody uses the lanyard that comes with some lights ? Or do you use something else ( key rings/custom setups ) or do you use anything at all ? I have a couple Fenix lights, a L2D and P3D and was wondering if you should put the lanyard through both of the holes or just one ?

Mike

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Mike, I am using the supplied lanyard with my Fenix L1D. But I heard that it's pretty weak and you can loose your flashlight this way...
You should put the lanyard through both holes on the tailcap, look at the Fenix instructions on this page (scroll down):
http://www.fenixlight.com/info/index.htm

MBurke

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I have never seen that Fenix web page before. Thanks :)

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
No I dont use my lanyards for my flashlights. The risk of loosing and or dropping the light increases for me if Im using the lanyard. I tried to have a lanyard on my keyring, but I tended to get stuck everywhere with the lanyard. In the diffrent levers in the car, and very often the lanyard get stuck in the cardoor. When Im in a hurry I almost hit the floor when the lanyard get stuck on the handle on the doors in the house, have gotten hurt because of this...

So I dont dare to have anything in a lanyard... :)

greenLED

Flashaholic
It depends on the light. I have short decorative lanyards in most of my smaller lights - helps with getting them out of pockets, sheaths, etc. The exception is my PD-D, which is the only light that I carry clipped to my pants.

When I'm outdoors, I always attach my lights and pocket knives to my belt with a loop of cord or a longer lanyard. Whenever I'm using a medium-size light while walking, etc. I tend to use a lanyard to secure the light to my wrist.

I know people who don't use lanyards at all. It's a matter of personal preference and what you might be doing with your lights as well.

[shameless plug]I make custom lanyards. If you're interested, see the link in my sigline.[/shameless plug]

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
[rant on]

I'm tired of lights with two baby vampire holes punched into the tail...I do not trust the little black string loops at all!

[/rant off]

My new JetBeam AA light thankfully has a wider lanyard opening, so I put one of those metal lanyard hooks through it. All connected to a DIY paracord lanyard. ACU camo cord from CountyComm and connectors and ends from Lighthound. I think the 'Hound also has pre-made lanyard setups for a few bucks.

Holsters are nice, but neck carry has been more convenient for me in some situations.

f32313jh9.jpg

TCW 60

Newly Enlightened
[rant on]

I'm tired of lights with two baby vampire holes punched into the tail...I do not trust the little black string loops at all!

[/rant off]

My new JetBeam AA light thankfully has a wider lanyard opening, so I put one of those metal lanyard hooks through it. All connected to a DIY paracord lanyard. ACU camo cord from CountyComm and connectors and ends from Lighthound. I think the 'Hound also has pre-made lanyard setups for a few bucks.

Holsters are nice, but neck carry has been more convenient for me in some situations.

f32313jh9.jpg

I put one of Lighthounds small splitrings through the hole and made a lanyard as above.

Ritch

Enlightened
On my Fenix lights I am using the stock lanyards, on the SF A2, L1, L2, L4 and G2Z SF-stock lanyards. On some other lights (ARC LSHF, HDS EDC's and NovaTac 120P) I am using self made lanyards (3mm Nylon cord in different colours) and some really beautiful hand made lanyards from robertrock.

richard

Gaffle

Enlightened

I like!!!:thumbsup: I think I need a quality neck lanyard now. :ohgeez:

I did have one of those metal hooks jack me up one day. I had a cheap neck lanyard connected to my Leatherman via metal hook and a O ring. I was chasing my daughter through my house with the Leatherman in my pocket and the lanyard was flapping around. The lanyard got stuck on a drawer knob, stopped me kind of quick, and ripped my shorts. The metal hook must have broke, I still cannot find the damn thing to assess the damage.

Sarratt

Enlightened
I'd never use the 'lanyard' supplied with my PD-e . Nor do I use the tigerclaw clasp. I agree that it looks very cheap.

I put a tiny ring with a small steel Y clasp on. From this I've made a couple of wrist loops. One elastic, one black solid.

Dr.K

Enlightened
I move slowly now that I have some gray hair, so I prefer a lanyard usually long enough to wear around my neck when I'm pittling around the yard.

My pocket light has a shorter one, and I keep it on the light, although I have no real use for it.

Gizzy

Newly Enlightened
[rant on]
f32313jh9.jpg

Be carefull with that style of metal hook...its surprisingly flimsy and easy to deform(stick with split rings)...honestly I think sometimes we get a false sense of security from "metal"

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you loose the ability to tail stand with the split ring?

If the ring is small enough, you can move it to either side of the tail so that it no longer protrudes out the bottom. Doesn't work for all tails, however. A slit in the metal is required.

Still trying to locate small splits myself. Hopefully the jewelry and lanyard section of the local craft stores still carry 'em in bags.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be carefull with that style of metal hook...its surprisingly flimsy and easy to deform(stick with split rings)...honestly I think sometimes we get a false sense of security from "metal"
For neck carry something that deforms under bit of force is a GOOD thing.

saildude

Newly Enlightened
Lighthound has some small split rings - look under Flashlight Accessories - Lanyard and Lanyard Supplies - BUT if my memory is correct you have to page in about 5 pages of other stuff.

mike

Khaytsus

Enlightened
I found my P2D CE was coming out of my pocket with my keys often with a lanyard on it, so I switched to a quick release lanyard.

Now there's a fairly small "tail" attached to the P2D CE and the lanyard itself is in another cargo pocket. When I am doing something where dropping the light would be bad (leaning over something tall, poking into holes, etc) I'll attach the lanyard.

I actually have two lanyards.. Both use the same quick release, but one of them is very short and the right size for my wrist and the other is a neck lanyard. Depends on what I'm doing, but I usually use the wrist lanyard when I need it.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Here's how I attach my lanyards to Fenix tailcaps - I can just as easily attach a clip to the split ring:

fenixattachments1bk6.jpg