Brightest Light with 6+ Hour Runtime

hoffner5

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a light to take on short camping trips. I'm not interested in having to deal with extra sets of batteries or the need to recharge it, so I think a 6+ hour runtime is essential.

So, what's the brightest light in this category? The only other caveat is that I'd like a relatively small form factor, say 2D or smaller.

DarthLumen

Newly Enlightened
Probably a Streamlight Propoly Lux C. I believe it is regulated for 6 hrs and then 2 hrs of diminishing light. However, I have been told that Streamlight is upgrading this and the 4AA version. Thus, brightness and runtime should increase. When will they actually hit the market.....who knows.

Gatsby

Enlightened
How much money do you want to spend? Any battery preferences? Beam shape? I'm assuming you don't want multi levels since you've specified the brightest light that will run more than 6 hours presumably at that level.

The X5 is a good suggestion I'd think as an easily sourced, runs forever, useful flood beam utility light. It does run on CR123s however which can be expensive if not purchased online. Add some more details and I think you'll get plenty of suggestions.

hoffner5

Newly Enlightened
Multi-levels isn't important, as I'm looking for a 6+ hour runtime in the brightest mode. I would prefer a flood beamshape, as it's mainly a short range light (tent, hiking, campsite use).

Price isn't really an object, but let's keep it reasonable, say $200 or less.

I guess battery type doesn't matter either. $2-$4 for a set CR123s isn't going to break the bank.

Are we stuck looking at LED lights only, or is there an incandescent that can pull this kind of runtime?

Anyone know a good run time estimate (to 50%) for the Coast LL1012?

Last edited:

meuge

Enlightened
I'm looking for a light to take on short camping trips. I'm not interested in having to deal with extra sets of batteries or the need to recharge it, so I think a 6+ hour runtime is essential.

So, what's the brightest light in this category? The only other caveat is that I'd like a relatively small form factor, say 2D or smaller.

Unless you would like a headlamp (which is something you might want to consider for camping), I'd say you'd be well off simply buying a Fenix L2D-R100... and using lithium AAs (or you could simply buy a set of Eneloop rechargeables, and lose ~25% of runtime, but not have to buy new batteries anymore).

The L2D-R100 will run about 6.5 hours on High (80+ lumens) on lithium AAs, and 4-5 hours on NiMH rechargeables. Alternatively, it will run >10 hours on Medium (30-40 lumens)...

I doubt that for camping you'd need a more powerful light. In my experience, in pitch-black night, the High setting on an L2D will cut through the darkness dramatically. It's small, light, and it's easy to carry spare batteries for (I recommend getting a set of battery cases from dealextreme...).

Certainly, the Surefire will be more durable... but it is more expensive.

Daekar

Enlightened
Unless you would like a headlamp (which is something you might want to consider for camping), I'd say you'd be well off simply buying a Fenix L2D-R100... and using lithium AAs (or you could simply buy a set of Eneloop rechargeables, and lose ~25% of runtime, but not have to buy new batteries anymore).

The L2D-R100 will run about 6.5 hours on High (80+ lumens) on lithium AAs, and 4-5 hours on NiMH rechargeables. Alternatively, it will run >10 hours on Medium (30-40 lumens)...

I doubt that for camping you'd need a more powerful light. In my experience, in pitch-black night, the High setting on an L2D will cut through the darkness dramatically. It's small, light, and it's easy to carry spare batteries for (I recommend getting a set of battery cases from dealextreme...).

Certainly, the Surefire will be more durable... but it is more expensive.

I'm definitely with meuge on this one. Unless you're "camping" where there are lots of floodlights, which I hope you aren't, I'd say something like an L2D is your best bet. Cheap batteries, good runtime, and, if you have dark-adapted eyes, WAY overkill on the brightness. When I'm camping, even 25 lumens seems pretty bright. I never use the high settings on my camping lights unless I need to cut through the darkess over a long distance, and I never need to do that very long. For camping lights, I suggest a duo of AA powered lights: The new Zebralight, and the L2D model suggested by meuge. The headlight because, lets face it, headlamps are more useful than torches no matter how dorky they look... and the L2D because sometimes you need light in two places at once or you need more light.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you considered the Heliotek? There is a review on it in the Reviews section. It runs for 7 hours on 2 AA lithiums (incredible batteries by the way) Has a built in diffuser for flood and can also really throw when needed to. It is also very light and almost bullet proof. It might be worth checking out.

jdong

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure brightness is a big concern while camping? Maybe you want something two-staged so that you don't knock out your night vision when suing the flashlight?