Installing a Q5 into a L2D R100 - Increased performance?

Photongun

Newly Enlightened
Is a Q5 currently the brightest available led?

Fenixtactical.com have a $40 upgrade service which I would considering using, but would a Q5 be brighter than the rebel 100 already in the latest L2d?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
There wouldn't be much of an improvement(If any, due to the higher average Vf of the Cree), I don't think it is worth it. Also, the Rebel LED dome is about 4x smaller then the Cree dome so the Cree won't fit in the Rebel reflector.

Photongun

Newly Enlightened
Cool. That answers my question then. Thanks..

I might just put one more question out there... are there any new led's around the corner that will outclass the rebel 100 lights? I hate purchasing a light just to have it old news a week later. I want it current a least for a little while.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'm guessing the R-bin Cree should not be available till the very end of the year at the earliest. The breakthrough performance of 1000 Lumen at 4 amp and breakthrough efficiency should not be seen till the middle of next year at the earliest.

Those are my predictions. I think you should be fine buying the Rebel 100. If you always wait till the next best thing comes around, you will never buy anything because you know something else is coming and you wait for that, then when that comes, you know another thing is around the corner and never get what you want. That was just some random piece of advice since technology advances fast.

Get the L2D-Rebel 100, unless you don't want the flash when you turn it on on low. The P3D seems to be the only one without the flash.

Photongun

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again for your help. Wise words. If the next best thing isn't out until the end of the year that's good enough for me. I just wanted to make sure nothing was right around the corner. As we all know, manufacturers avoid giving lots of warning because they usually want to rid themselves of old stock first.

Grun

Newly Enlightened
Just putting this out there, you will notice a difference between 50 lumens and 100 lumens, but 200 and 250 lumens, the difference will be less noticeable. Maybe going from 200 to 280 lumens will get your attention the same way going from 50 to 100 lumens will. :ohgeez:

martonic

Enlightened
Consider the new O-Light SE (Q5 Cree) if you want a longer range. It should out-throw the Fenix P3D by a good margin - the P3D has a flood-type reflector. However, the P3D has simpler UI - a plus for the Fenix IMHO.

zeeexsixare

Newly Enlightened
To be honest, you won't notice a 10-15% difference. Your eyes will adjust if you're actually using it in the dark. Now if you're using it for tactical purposes, maybe it matters...

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just putting this out there, you will notice a difference between 50 lumens and 100 lumens, but 200 and 250 lumens, the difference will be less noticeable. Maybe going from 200 to 280 lumens will get your attention the same way going from 50 to 100 lumens will. :ohgeez:

I've got a L2D100 (175) and a Malkoff Maglite dropin (240). The different reflectors make a huge difference in what you experience, but the L2D100 is surprising. The Malkoff is obviously brighter and bigger, but the L2D isn't that far behind. It definitely steps away from all the 80-90 lumens lights. I think in a year, everybody will be around 240 lumens.

Last edited: