You know, the stuff you "ate" in elementary school

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stuff you "ate" in elementary school

I was looking in a box of art supplies I used to use in elementary school since I needed some colored pencils for a drawing I had to do for my refrigeration fundamentals class. Anyway, I came across a box of Crayola Glow in the Dark crayons with a couple missing and it reminded me about the time I ate a piece of a crayon (I think it was the white one) from that pack in Fourth grade.

Anyone ever ate something weird like this ?

Items can include crayons, wax, chalk, Elmer's glue/paste, soap, paper, play doh, Styrofoam, charcoal briquettes, pencils, ect.

Last edited:

Arkayne

Enlightened
Yummmm! Elmer's Paste. Arts and crafts was a fun time because I loved the smell of that stuff. I believe I ate a few fingers worth too.

What else, what else..... I liked the smell of those scratch and sniff stickers and found out that they don't taste as good.

I remember making a huge ball out of the rubber cement and chewing it. hahah

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once, when I was a little boy, I was cutting back some lilies, and the stems looked really juicy. Cut a short length of the stem, and trimmed the skin off like a bean.

The pain when I went to eat it was indescribable.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Those little cartons of milk I had in grade school always smelled funny when you opened them, but the milk tasted ok. :/
I don't actually remember eating paste, crayons, rubber cement, chalk, light bulbs, urinator mints, pencil lead, copper sulfate crystals, or any other bizarre item.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those little cartons of milk I had in grade school always smelled funny when you opened them, but the milk tasted ok. :/
I don't actually remember eating paste, crayons, rubber cement, chalk, light bulbs, urinator mints, pencil lead, copper sulfate crystals, or any other bizarre item.

Urinator mints :duh2:

Valolammas

Enlightened
Fresh sawdust, because it smells so nice. I think I tried it more than once, actually, and I still like the smell. Also pine cones and acorns because squirrels eat them and I was a big squirrel fan as a child.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Play dough, wax from milk cartons, bullion cubes. I think I also ate ants a few times (maybe that's why I like watching Survivor Man now).

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 play dough. Lots and lots of play dough. I don't think I ever ate the store-bought Play-Doh, but I know my mom told me she chose to make the stuff because I'd just eat it anyway and she wanted to be sure what was going into me.

The supposed reason was for the salt.

I must have had a salt deficiency or something, because growing up in La Jolla CA I also ate a lot of the beach there. Handfulls of it, according to our home movies. My mom told me the doctor told her not to worry that it'd just essentially act as roughage.

Oh -- I sure chewed up a lot of pencils but I'm not sure that counts as really eating them. ;)

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
A rabbit turd. My brother said it was a cocoa puff. At least I didn't fall for the urine in the Fanta bottle as being ginger ale which was the next stunt they tried on me.

Arkayne

Enlightened

I remember playing Leisure Suit Larry 1 on my 286-12 and reading graffiti above a toilet that said something like, "Kids, please don't eat the urinal cakes."

sooo yeah, you tried one?!

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
WHAT A GREAT GAME!!!!

I can't think of anything I have eaten that was crazy...

I remember playing Leisure Suit Larry 1 on my 286-12 and reading graffiti above a toilet that said something like, "Kids, please don't eat the urinal cakes."

sooo yeah, you tried one?!

unclearty

Enlightened
I practically peed my pants reading this.....no..I never really ate strange stuff....but I was the kid who enjoyed rolling little pieces of tin foil into little balls and hiding it in peopled cereal...ever chewed down on a ball of foil???...especially if you had filings?

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only one of the following stories is true. Try to guess which! :)

1) I once ate some potassium. I then promptly exploded.

2) I once snorted some liquid nitrogen. I passed out, and my head shattered when it hit the table.

3) My sister once gave me a pebble and said it was a jelly bean.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
I practically peed my pants reading this.....no..I never really ate strange stuff....but I was the kid who enjoyed rolling little pieces of tin foil into little balls and hiding it in peopled cereal...ever chewed down on a ball of foil???...especially if you had filings?

Whoa -- I completely forgot about tin foil. THAT brings back memories. I think I didn't have any cavities when I first tried it. I really like the way it squished. Then I tried it years later after getting fillings (insert furious rant about dentist) I think I remember it hurt a lot and I felt so shocked I yanked the ball out as fast as I could. Never did that again!

Illum

Flashaholic

I don't know of anything too bizarre aside from the basic supplies
I do remember one I took a bite off of a slipper...swallowed it...:duh2::sick2:

shakeylegs

Enlightened
This brings a few things to mind.

First - lunch menu. Peanut butter sandwich, white bread, layered with potato chips - everyday.

Second - Nuclear blast survival food stash - requirement that it not spoil for one year, kept at school in the fallout shelter. Menu - Hostess twinkies, welches grape fruit juice, canned vienna sausages, hard tac biscuits. Yum. Makes you wonder if survival was the best alternative.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
One other thing I did, somewhat related was when I was in college but still a teenager. I was pretty hammered and bet someone I could eat an orange peel. Despite being inebriated I only could eat just a tiny piece. Try it sometime.