Best rechargable flashlight? 18650 based?

merkaba

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, Ive been a lurker on this forum for ages now and finally decided to make my first post!

Im trying to decide on a good rechargeable flashlight. From my research it seems that the best rechargeable battery is the 18650 so ive been looking for a good cree or ssc based LED flashlight. I don't really want to go much bigger than the MRV or A8 but im not 100% satisfied with either of those lights.

I dont really like the way the A8 clicky works and would much rather have a McClickie with 2 levels. Same with the MRV...

The other thing putting me off those lights is that i want something that will lend itself to upgrades when newer driver circuits and leds come out in the future. Like i would rather pay more money and be able to upgrade in the future.

I would like to use a leef 18650 body with a McClickie switch... but im not sure what head to use... what would you guys recommend?

Should i look for a Aleph 27 head or should i look for like a surefire L5 or something?

Any input from you more experienced flashaholics out there would be awesome!

Thanks guys, i love this place!
Richard

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF. I will not give you links or say a lot, but I will recommend that you type in 18650 into the Google-CPF only bar at the top of every CPF page. tons of info on CPF that you can research.

Bill

KenAnderson

Enlightened
Hi everyone, Ive been a lurker on this forum for ages now and finally decided to make my first post!

Im trying to decide on a good rechargeable flashlight. From my research it seems that the best rechargeable battery is the 18650 so ive been looking for a good cree or ssc based LED flashlight. I don't really want to go much bigger than the MRV or A8 but im not 100% satisfied with either of those lights.

I dont really like the way the A8 clicky works and would much rather have a McClickie with 2 levels. Same with the MRV...

The other thing putting me off those lights is that i want something that will lend itself to upgrades when newer driver circuits and leds come out in the future. Like i would rather pay more money and be able to upgrade in the future.

I would like to use a leef 18650 body with a McClickie switch... but im not sure what head to use... what would you guys recommend?

Should i look for a Aleph 27 head or should i look for like a surefire L5 or something?

Richard

Richard, welcome to CPF and congrats on your first post. The 18650 is a great choice, I have a few. Might I recommend a TNC SF series from tncproducts.com. They have their own forum section here and you can ask questions and see their lights there. Their lights are easy to upgrade, with easy to access LED and also offer multiple battery tubes for little money. You can buy a full multi level, super bright, solid alum machined, tactical clickie or twisty in Cree or Seoul or Luxon...for approx $240. Later, you can add other battery type tubes or change LEDs or heads for pretty cheap. It is an outstanding system.

Ken

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF. Just curious. What don't you like about the A8 clicky? You do know you have the option of getting a Forward clicky, momentary on, with full press constant on?

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome: Just on a side note I'm sending a PM on your name - a fascinating subject I've studied a lot. 18650's are becoming very popular and places like Dealextreme have a way you can sort from there menu system to see all the lights that use this great battery choice. I believe Lighthound can also sort lights by battery type. I think there are many excellent choices on DX but if you want to spend a bit more than your choices you have mentioned are good. The SF is not going to be easy to open or upgrade whereas an Aleph is made for modding. I know a lot of people have been asking for a Leef 18650 but I wasn't aware those were being made yet. But then I am not up to speed on Leef items lately either. A VB-16 as mentioned is a nice light as well as an 8 mode light I've seen at DX that works with 18650's or 2 x CR123'S or RCR123's IIRC. So many choices - that only a year to two ago were nearly non-existent. Good luck in your search.

merkaba

Newly Enlightened
That VB-16 looks really good for the money! but the build quality doesn't look to hot... also the 16 levels sounds a bit silly... but still very nice!

The TNC lights look really good! Expensive but it looks like you get what you pay for... but i would like some kind of variable power too, even just 2 simple power options?

I really like the A8 for its price and it seems pretty well made too but i dont like havening to "scroll" through the different power settings... from what ive read on here that seems to be the UI on the light. Their new clicky is an improvement but it looses the different power settings, i think?

Thanks for the PM Matrixshaman, will check it out now. Ive been looking at both DX and Lighthound, very good sites! I think you are right about the Leef bodies... they seem pretty hard to come by... but we can dream!

Thanks for all the pointers guys.... im going to have to do more research...

Is there a way to make the TNC variable?

josiah

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I'm another newcomer that's been reading up a bunch on LEDs for the last couple weeks. I'm also looking seriously at getting an 18650 light, so I've had the same question.

I don't have tons of money to spend, so I'm thinking of getting an entry level but still bright light. Maybe something I can learn to mod in the future.

A couple at DX that have caught my eye are the Eastward YJ U-2 Style and the DX 3W 5-mode Cree. (apparently recently added, different than one that never shipped but was discussed earlier this year)

Does anyone have experience with both of these? I've yet to find anything posted about the latter. Or, does anyone have other suggestions? (The VB-16 is also interesting to me, but reviews didn't seem to be quite as positive as the U-2 style.)

Thanks for any input!

ak645

Newly Enlightened
Hi Richard,

:welcome: Check out the DereeLight CH1 2-mode.Has the tactical clickie,high and low levels and is easily upgradeable.excellent build and beam quality.Moderately priced.

I am very happy with mine.It is my most used light.There are a couple of reviews in the review section.Check out the sales thread here.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=169692

Andy

Richard

KenAnderson

Enlightened
The TNC lights look really good! Expensive but it looks like you get what you pay for... but i would like some kind of variable power too, even just 2 simple power options?

Is there a way to make the TNC variable?

merkaba,

The TNC can be ordered with a Flupic 2.2 board which gives you 5 different menus to choose from. Choose from simple to advanced to tactical as you desire. Also, it has multiple levels of brightness and each is adjustable. A set it as you like it sort of light. More expensive yes, but the quality is equal to most lights costing twice that amount.

I have no connection to the company or TNC, but I love their lights. One of the best kept secrets around.

Ken

richdsu

Newly Enlightened
For starters....

Get Ultrafire C2 HAIII ( you will not regret ), Ultrafire LC18650 Protected Battery from DX SKU 3287 perfect match.

U2 Style from Kai SKU 2752 is also a good choice.

Next..... get more expensive ones from Tiablo. :naughty:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the DereeLight CH1 2-mode.
+1 The Dereelight seems to be great. After my research I purchased one as my first 18650 light. I have comments in the sales thread, and there are a couple of reviews by others. The price is reasonable compared to the competition, and performance seems great. I have not had it long, but so far I'm liking the light and the 18650 power source. I'm using AW 18650 protected, and WF-139 charger.

LEDite

Enlightened
merkaba;

#18650 batteries are the only way to power your lights.

If you want to do mods in the future, I would not buy an expensive light. It's tough to tear them apart!

I have the Eastward YJ (U2) and the Ultrafire C2.

The Eastward YJ U2 outperforms the C2 because it is direct drive vs. the 700 ma on the C2.

Larry Cobb

Last edited:

katx

Newly Enlightened
Maybe it is me but a "rechargeable flashlight" is not a flashlight that accepts rechargeable batteries but a flashlight that can be recharged by placing it on a cradle or through a cord or something.

I have a similar pet-peeve regarding "Atomic" Clocks. They are not atomic clocks; they are radio controlled clocks.

And then there are those flashlights that work through cranking. Some one them are advertised as not to ever requiring a battery even though they have a rechargeable battery inside.

If we are not careful with terms/language, how can we expect merchants/manufacturers to be?

LEDite

Enlightened
Katz;

I've made a hundred or so rechargable lights like the one in my signature.

Most of them are UV and have a plug for recharging. One advantage is the ability to use them even if the battery has discharged by connecting the charger.

Now, I am also making a UV 3 Watt Cree model from a conventional HAIII light. I consider it a rechargable light also, since the single #18650 battery is quickly removable and pops in the supplied 2-cell charger.

Larry Cobb

katx

Newly Enlightened
Katz;

I've made a hundred or so rechargable lights like the one in my signature.

Most of them are UV and have a plug for recharging. One advantage is the ability to use them even if the battery has discharged by connecting the charger.

Now, I am also making a UV 3 Watt Cree model from a conventional HAIII light. I consider it a rechargable light also, since the single #18650 battery is quickly removable and pops in the supplied 2-cell charger.

Larry Cobb

Ok then, assuming I understood you correctly, what light is NOT rechargeable?