My modest experiment with 6v lantern

dlrflyer

Newly Enlightened
I've got a confession, I like 6v lanterns. I know that puts me in the minority around here, but I like being able to set them down while aimed at the area to be illuminated and I find them handier than a 4D Mag. Anyway, being a CPFer, I decided I needed to hotwire one. My lantern of choice is the Energizer Hard Case 4D. It's huge and heavy, but almost indestructable with the best beam of any readily available lantern since it has a partially faceted reflector and a diffusion spot on the lens. So, I wanted to hotrod it while maintaining a decent runtime, good reliability, and without melting any parts(thankfully has a metal bulb socket). While searching thru different bulbs, I came across some XPR14 bulbs. These are xenon 14.4v 0.7a. Great, about 10w, shouldn't melt anything while more than doubling the wattage. Using 4 Litemania 3AA-1D series adaptors and 12 Rayovac hybrids to power it, I now have a lantern with a bit of punch, still maintain a good runtime of around 2.5 hrs and in a pinch, can use alkaline AA. Since I got a few of these lanterns in a Home Depot closeout, my next experiment is to remove the battery tray, come up with a LiIon pack with some type of hobby connector and solder some leads to the terminals of the lantern. Then I could use a hobby charger, more expensive, but more convenient in the end. Sorry for lack of pics, I don't have a digicam and I'm not much of a white wall hunter.

mdocod

Flashaholic
you could slap a FM or KAI bi-pin>PR adapter and slap something like a 12V 35W bulb in there. That should get things smoking pretty good.

protein_man

Newly Enlightened
Hello I got the same lantern for a bargin price of $8 at Coles here in Australia. I bought three of them. Anyway this lantern grew on me too, so I bought an eveready 6v 10 watt rechargable dolphin bulb and put it in it. Wow! The bulb wasn't cheap, cost me $13 from bunnings. I believe this bulb is the HPR71, the same bulb used in ROP low mods with maglites.

I had to shim the bulb back a bit in the holder to get a perfect focus but this thing throws! The beam goes forever! I used a little bit of aluminum foil to do this.

I prefer a rechargeable solution so I split the light by undoing the screws and installed a 6V 4.7ah seal lead acid battery. Had to break a few bits of the plastic supports out of the inside for it to fit but it does fit, just!

At this point I am extremely pleased with my creation, next I will be adding some sort of plug so I can charge it without removing the battery. I also plan on making a circuit that indicates when the battery is getting a little low using a small red led as an indicator. Another plan is to build a charging circuit into the lantern so I can charge it in the car if needs be.

Anyway I wish I could take pictures but I'm moving house and everything is packed up. Great torch and an easy mod!:twothumbs