Dog leash light

heckboy

Enlightened
Hello all!

My name is "heckboy" and I'm a flashoholic. For a long time I didn't know it. I kept a collection of Maglights around for various tasks. Then a friend showed a Surefire E2D to me. The Maglights weren't good enough any longer. The I bought a E2D, L2, E1L, G2, 6PD, 9P, a random Fenix or two, Arc AAA+, ... They all have a specific use, really.

Now I'm looking at a little different light application. As the days grow shorter my wife and I find ourselves out walking the dog in dark more often. While I have no problem sticking a nice little light in my pocket, my wife is less interested the "look how bright this is" game than I am. She has asked for a light for walking the dog though. What I'd like to do is affix a nice light to the loop of the leash where it would be available for either of us when we walk the dog.

For this light I'd like something simple with a tail click. It doesn't have to be a barn burner but something to illuminate objects at 25 or 30 feet is desireable so it can be used to spot skunks and the like. A 3 or 6 foot diameter spill beam at 6 feet would be great to look for poop and other close in detail work. :grin2: The light still needs to be tough for rain, getting dropped and other minor abuses while out walking. The last constraint is price. I want to get in as economically as possible or I'd just attach one of the Surefires to the leash.

What do you all think?

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
ever considered a headlamp?

like this http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_argohp.htm

or this http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_enduro.htm

but you may need to mode d strap abit to fit onto the doggie collar or the head itself. at least the beam angle is adjustable.

i have the Enduro & used it beyond 5hrs continuous. :thumbsup: the whole unit it lightweight & heat build-up is not a problem. it maages to get only a little warm till the batt runs flat.

i do not own the Argo HP so i cant give any user feedback. :sick2:

heckboy

Enlightened
I was really looking for something that will be in your hand along with the leash rather than on the dog. The dog can see just fine...;)

greenLED

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

...I bought a E2D, L2, E1L, G2, 6PD, 9P, a random Fenix or two...

Any of those would work for "leash duty". I see dog owners around here attaching bike LED blinkers to their dog's collars when they walk out at night. There are also lighted dog collars and reflective vests available for dogs. I think the info was in a thread about K9 search and rescue visibility or something like that. I'm sure you'll find it. :)

KenTaylor

Newly Enlightened
It might not be exactly what you are looking for however, I have used a Pelican VB3 for this purpose. It clips to the waistband on my shorts or sweats and lights the road enough for me to see where I am going and facilitates cars seeing me. I also have a reflective best with flashing LEDs for in the dark dog walking.

Ken

p.s. I have been known to carry a Pelican M6 LED and a Smith & Wesson J frame when I get tired of cars which have to use their high beams to get a better view of me.

Glow_Worm

Newly Enlightened
I use a Black&Decker LeashLight that I got several years ago. I don't know if it's still sold, but I've seen some on eBay for cheap. I replaced the bulb in mine w/ an LED replacement, so the batteries now last for about a year or so (rather than 3-4 weeks w/ the incandescent bulb).

--kirk

Flic

Enlightened
I know it's different from what you specified, but have you thought of the Oval Light? I do not own one but it seems made for the job.

Try them at ovallight.com

Just a thought.

cac313

Newly Enlightened
I like the following flashlight for it's buckle attachement:
KD 1AAA SCC U-bin SX0H Buckle Flashlight KD#: SKU3241 Our Price : $15
https://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=3241

Can this be right? I followed that link and it said "100 Lumens+ output"

My L0D-CE is rated at 50 lumens on high. How would you get DOUBLE that from essentially the same form factor? :thinking: My wife's Ultrafire 602c SSC is maybe a little brighter to the eye but not in anyway double. It's a AAA with a Seoul LED. I would expect about the same output.

I do like the buckle though...

Last edited:

scottaw

Enlightened
What about a headlamp on the DOG! :crackup: Ok, im feeling a little silly today, but if my dog's head were bigger i'd be trying it right now.

But seriously, why not just grab something cheap and easy like a Magled 2AA, put a big keyring or a carabiner on there and you'll always have it handy. And if it gets dinged up, who cares it's the leashlight.

heckboy

Enlightened
That buckle flashlight is pretty intriguing. It's definitely cheap enough and I wouldn't worry one little bit about it if it got drug around by the dog on occasion.

I think the oval light will be a bit too much structure for us since we only need to use a flashlight now and then during our walks rather than all the time. We are in the city.

Hmmm...maybe I'll go dig through the old Maglight box (from the un-enlightened days) in the garage and put an LED in one of the AA mags. I hadn't actually seriously considered them. Like DUh.

Updates later!

Beer

Enlightened
I was shopping on e*bay not too long ago and found alot of retractible dog leahes with a flashlight built into them.

Been thinking about getting one as the little woman wont carry one with her.

If you get one let me know, I've been curious if the bulbs in them ar PR base, if so I'll drop in a sears 1W luxeon pr based LED.

Retracttable_Dog_Flashlight_blue_g.jpg

If there is room inthere to mod it to use 2 123A's vs 2 AA's .... oh the possibilites.

Last edited:

wakibaki

Newly Enlightened
I use white keyring Fauxtons (22000mCd keyring torch) from DX. They can be locked on, and they run for about 4 hours before I decide I want to replace them. They cost about $0.45 when bought in 50s. You can replace the batteries or just dismantle the old ones for the LEDs. Brilliant. I was going to build a custom rechargeable item on the lathe until I got these to give away. Then I realised how good they are for dogs. My dogs get ready to go out now when they hear the tiny click from one of these torches.

I also have some blue flashing pendants from DX. These are quite fun and cost very little. You can use the quick release catch on these to hold the Fauxton too.

w

Oh, sorry. This is on the dog. You get some benefit from the illumination tho'.

Last edited: